How do you watch tv?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

How do you watch tv?

freesat/freeview
8
36%
sky
0
No votes
virgin media
3
14%
catch up tv only
2
9%
streaming
7
32%
Other
2
9%
 
Total votes: 22

stayAwhile
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:44 am

How do you watch tv?

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:46 pm

personaly I watch free to air tv but use catch up too and used watch netflix but you get a better bitrate on over the air tv mabie in 10+ years web connections worldwide will be good enough to get the same bitrate but atm tv wins. i also buy dvds too A you own it outright and B the qaulity is better(some shows or movies suffer artifacts on streams)
This guy are sick

User avatar
Katzkatz
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:17 pm

I don't watch anything live nowadays - apart from sport and sometimes the news. Nowadays, I set my Freeview PVR or Sky box and just records shows and watch them that way. It's so much more convenient. Adverts are a thing of the past - and you can also binge watch series that way.

I do have Amazon Prime and Netflix as well. I use them for streaming the TV shows(Mr. Robot, Sneaky Pete and The Grand Tour off of Amazon; and Daredevil, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black and Better Call Saul off of Netflix.

stayAwhile
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:44 am

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:46 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:17 pm
I don't watch anything live nowadays - apart from sport and sometimes the news. Nowadays, I set my Freeview PVR or Sky box and just records shows and watch them that way. It's so much more convenient. Adverts are a thing of the past - and you can also binge watch series that way.

I do have Amazon Prime and Netflix as well. I use them for streaming the TV shows(Mr. Robot, Sneaky Pete and The Grand Tour off of Amazon; and Daredevil, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black and Better Call Saul off of Netflix.
your very limited on those service to what they licence and alot of their new content is hip new us "must watch" shows i much prefer a wider choice but each to their own i guess
This guy are sick

flatapex
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by flatapex » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:26 am

Got virgin with TiVo, also got Netflix and share Amazon prime with the rents
Image

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24911
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:50 am

Its rare that I watch TV live as adverts are annoying, almost all I watch is streamed

User avatar
NickThorpe
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:45 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:51 am

I used Freeview and subscribe to a few streaming services (NowTV, WWE Network, ICW On Demand). I was using my PS3 with PlayTV as a Freeview recorder, but annoyingly the console went and broke yesterday.
Image

stayAwhile
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:44 am

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:34 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:50 am
Its rare that I watch TV live as adverts are annoying, almost all I watch is streamed
i find streams can sometimes pause or drop in qaulity really i'm happy to have adverts they pay for the content which gives me a wide choice where as on streaming services it seems to be the latest us shows which can be good but arent what i tend to watch I prefer quiz shows,watchdog,soaps ect so i guess it depends what you watch really
This guy are sick

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24911
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:50 pm

stayAwhile wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:34 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:50 am
Its rare that I watch TV live as adverts are annoying, almost all I watch is streamed
i find streams can sometimes pause or drop in qaulity really i'm happy to have adverts they pay for the content which gives me a wide choice where as on streaming services it seems to be the latest us shows which can be good but arent what i tend to watch I prefer quiz shows,watchdog,soaps ect so i guess it depends what you watch really
Anime and wrestling

Not a lot of the best of both on TV

stayAwhile
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:44 am

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:17 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:50 pm
stayAwhile wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:34 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:50 am
Its rare that I watch TV live as adverts are annoying, almost all I watch is streamed
i find streams can sometimes pause or drop in qaulity really i'm happy to have adverts they pay for the content which gives me a wide choice where as on streaming services it seems to be the latest us shows which can be good but arent what i tend to watch I prefer quiz shows,watchdog,soaps ect so i guess it depends what you watch really
Anime and wrestling

Not a lot of the best of both on TV
tbh the best wrestling is on dvd or youtube ocassionaly world of sport is on tv but its rare
This guy are sick

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Sky tv and Blu Rays of my favourite movies/tv shows so theyre instantly accessible, are less likely to be cut/tampeted with, come with extra features and are usually audio and visually better than watching from Sky.

Yrah could probably stream etc, but can't be arsed with freezes/drop outs / unavailability etc.So although it's not the cheapest a
Option its tbe one I go for. Usually get a good deal so multi-room in hd with sports and movies for £80 per month, i can justify £2.50 a day for that.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24911
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:40 pm

stayAwhile wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:17 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:50 pm
stayAwhile wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:34 pm

i find streams can sometimes pause or drop in qaulity really i'm happy to have adverts they pay for the content which gives me a wide choice where as on streaming services it seems to be the latest us shows which can be good but arent what i tend to watch I prefer quiz shows,watchdog,soaps ect so i guess it depends what you watch really
Anime and wrestling

Not a lot of the best of both on TV
tbh the best wrestling is on dvd or youtube ocassionaly world of sport is on tv but its rare
Actually, the best is Lucha Underground (On Netflix but not in the UK) and NJPW I have a sub to

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:35 pm

Virgin Media for me, although I watch very little TV personally.

User avatar
dste
Posts: 7099
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by dste » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:57 pm

iPlayer/4OD and Netflix.

Very rarely watch anything 'live' these days and cannot remember last time I bought a DVD.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

stayAwhile
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:44 am

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:20 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:50 pm


Anime and wrestling

Not a lot of the best of both on TV
tbh the best wrestling is on dvd or youtube ocassionaly world of sport is on tv but its rare
[/quote]
Actually, the best is Lucha Underground (On Netflix but not in the UK) and NJPW I have a sub to
[/quote]
I like NJPW But i prefer the Tradtional british style over any other pro wrestling i particularly like world of sports coverage of all star promtions and the vhs/dvd release battle of the brits i like how it was family entertainment but not in the wwe watering things down form(I do belive a wrestler used a steel barrier as a wepon in 70's wos) and it resembles the grappling side of wrestling best where as us and japanse styles use brawling more in the mix. plus it had more varied wrestlers even the wos 2016 speical it felt like a mix of 70's brit scene with added 80's wwf and thats a fun mix. modern British wrestling is good too i used to love going to fwe(now defunt but there are other non related fwes) shows but the waw is good too.

my faveroute us stuff was 80's and 90's wcw and wwf ecw and xpw were great too but these days you need dvds really or local shows njpw is good though but tna and wwe arent fun anymore.
This guy are sick

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5458
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:37 pm

The only things I watch live these days are news and sport.

Otherwise, it's streaming all the way.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests