Grenfell Tower, London fire.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DPrinny

Re: Grenfell Tower, London fire.

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:21 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:38 pm
Blame increasing divisions, fostering of a "them and us" mentality, fake news and stupid demands being spread on Twitter by people like Piers Morgan and Lilly Allen and the politicisation of this tragedy. This person got beaten up by protesters as he was wearing a suit and they thought he was Tory councillor, but he was a volunteer who'd been helping with the relief effort

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... volunteer/
I blame the Sun newspaper

7/10 idiots read it, the rest just look at the pictures as they cant read

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:37 am

600 other tower blocks nationwide have the same cladding.

The manufacturers don't even recommend using it on a building more than 10 metres.

And yes, it is political.

The number of building inspections has gone down as councils cut staff due to Government cuts.

The poorest people in one of the richest boroughs in England died because the rich neighbours complained the tower block looked ugly. The private landlords then put on the cheaper form of cladding to make the building look better.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:46 am

merman wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:37 am
600 other tower blocks nationwide have the same cladding.

The manufacturers don't even recommend using it on a building more than 10 metres.

And yes, it is political.

The number of building inspections has gone down as councils cut staff due to Government cuts.

The poorest people in one of the richest boroughs in England died because the rich neighbours complained the tower block looked ugly. The private landlords then put on the cheaper form of cladding to make the building look better.
Hard to not be on this, but lets be civil at least (as we are), affordable housing is going away for places that only those on a really good wage can afford, why else would I still be in this small flat?

At least this is happening

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... nt-complex

Looks like the toffs have some new residents

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:07 am

Well, sort of. Whenever a new housing development is built these days, they need to set aside a small number of homes for "affordable" housing; although on the same site, they'll be typically be smaller and fitted out to a more basic standard. That's where the survivors of the fire will be getting re-housed, not in the luxury apartments.

The latter will still be exclusively for those who are on six figure incomes, with multi-millionaire parents or have been phenomenally adept at working their way up the property ladder. I suspect most will be bought by foreign investors who'll leave them vacant.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:14 am

-
Last edited by Bub&Bob on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:48 am

Matt_B wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:07 am
Well, sort of. Whenever a new housing development is built these days, they need to set aside a small number of homes for "affordable" housing; although on the same site, they'll be typically be smaller and fitted out to a more basic standard. That's where the survivors of the fire will be getting re-housed, not in the luxury apartments.

The latter will still be exclusively for those who are on six figure incomes, with multi-millionaire parents or have been phenomenally adept at working their way up the property ladder. I suspect most will be bought by foreign investors who'll leave them vacant.
Ive seen the size of the flats they make these days

More cramped than what im currently in

When I was down in Woking a few weekends ago I was looking at places for rent
twice the price for something thats just "nice" in London thatl be a garage
Have seen the rent on my current place go up from its original £50 to £70 a week in the ten+ years ive been here.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 am

DPrinny wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:21 pm
Negative Creep wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:38 pm
Blame increasing divisions, fostering of a "them and us" mentality, fake news and stupid demands being spread on Twitter by people like Piers Morgan and Lilly Allen and the politicisation of this tragedy. This person got beaten up by protesters as he was wearing a suit and they thought he was Tory councillor, but he was a volunteer who'd been helping with the relief effort

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... volunteer/
I blame the Sun newspaper

7/10 idiots read it, the rest just look at the pictures as they cant read
Exactly - if anybody is fostering a Them and Us mentality it's the Sun and the Daily Mail (not to mention The Times and the Telegraph).
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:10 am

Hmmmmmm

Also

The world would be a nicer place without those rags

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:59 am

Just a reminder that you can't discuss politics and religion on the forum as the AUP clearly states.
If it continues I'll have no choice but to lock the thread, and I don't want to do that. There's been enough of that lately.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:05 pm

I believe there are many ways out of the whole affordable housing rules - such as "if the developer can prove they won't make any/enough (?) profit, they don't have to provide them" or somesuch. Not sure how easy it is in practise, but from what I've heard it's pretty easy.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:42 pm

thingonaspring wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:05 pm
I believe there are many ways out of the whole affordable housing rules - such as "if the developer can prove they won't make any/enough (?) profit, they don't have to provide them" or somesuch. Not sure how easy it is in practise, but from what I've heard it's pretty easy.
To bad almost all are in it for the money

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:06 pm

Last edited by stvd on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:35 pm

thingonaspring wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:05 pm
I'm not up on the latest regulations, as I've not been living in London for a few years now, but there used to be rules that allowed the construction of luxury developments without social housing provided that the builders paid for the equivalent to be built elsewhere in the local area. Those sort of places were always a way out of my price range though; like I said before, you'd either need millions in cash, a massive salary or somewhere of comparable value to trade up from.

Most of the time they just tended to put the social housing into the less desirable parts of a development, e.g. the bits next to main roads, train lines, with unsightly views, etc. or would otherwise be difficult to sell at a premium price. While it might sometimes allow people on benefits to live in parts of the capital that the rest of us could never afford, they don't exactly come with the sort of lifestyle you might associate with the areas.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Just put it as

London is bloody expensive

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:51 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:46 pm
Just put it as

London is bloody expensive
Yeah, but it varies from area to area as to whether you'll need to borrow between five or twenty times your salary to buy a home.