console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

VECTREX vs SNES

Poll ended at Sun May 14, 2017 11:03 am

VECTREX
12
39%
SNES
19
61%
 
Total votes: 31

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 4:16 pm

console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon May 08, 2017 11:03 am

Next Quarter final.

So far the Vectrex has beaten the ATARI 5200 and the 7800
So can the Atari killer take on Nintento and the SNES which has already beaten the NEO GEO and MEGADRIVE

So VECTREX vs SNES

I am fond of the VECTREX, but SNES wins easily for me.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by The Laird » Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 am

Definitely the Vectrex, one of my favourite consoles in my collection.

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by markopoloman » Mon May 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Completely different reasons for voting for each console! SNES - my mate had one and we had a few good laughs... I've never owned a Vectrex (wish I had one) but having played on them many times, it is just such a cool little bit of kit.

Vectrex gets my vote.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
lupogtiboy
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by lupogtiboy » Mon May 08, 2017 2:48 pm

I voted for the Vectrex, purely because its my favourite retro-machine. There is no other console like it, its unique. Its very of its time, and I doubt there will ever be anything like it again. If you haven't ever had a go on one, I urge you too.

Don't get me wrong, I love the SNES too, but my memories of it are constantly getting my arse kicked round my mates house at any game he chose to play on it! LOL!!
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk


its not a proper job, and you can never go too far

User avatar
mrmessy
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:06 am
Location: The middle of England
Contact:

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by mrmessy » Mon May 08, 2017 3:30 pm

I love the Vectrex's style and I particularly like vector displays in games. However, I feel it is rather a one trick pony compared to the SNES, or indeed most popular consoles from the 16-bit era onward. To me it's a fantastic novelty that simply does not compare when the novelty wares off.

Has to be the SNES.

Could be a few MegaDive fans voting on this one 🤔
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:41 am
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by gman72 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:07 pm

SNES for the win.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 08, 2017 8:44 pm

Vectrex is an awesome machine, and really has to be played to be fully appreciated. Plus it has some wonderful little games. As I mentioned before, if you want to play Vectrex type games you have to own Vectrex, whilst SNES-type games can be played on a variety of systems (including emulation).
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 am

SNES, clearly. I'm just not familiar with the Vectrex, but I find it hard to understand why this is even a close run contest (at least in this poll). I respect (believe it or not!) other peoples opinions, but there were just 28 games apparently released on the Vectrex....and none of them seem to appear in any list of all-time best videogames (or at least with any frequency), where as the SNES is almost universally lauded.

psj3809
Posts: 18729
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:04 am

I know what you mean, i was very torn as i never had a SNES back in the day but i love it via emulation, so many great games.

I must admit i voted for the Vectrex as i had first had experience when it was out (my rich cousin had one when it came out) and i loved it then and years later i think its an exceptional piece of kit and love using it at retro shows. Also theres a brilliant official Vectrex app on ios which i love to use (via my iCade).

Its like the cool cult 'Pulp Fiction' style console and i just love vector graphics.

But yeah a tough one between these two.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 09, 2017 9:24 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 am
SNES, clearly. I'm just not familiar with the Vectrex, but I find it hard to understand why this is even a close run contest (at least in this poll). I respect (believe it or not!) other peoples opinions, but there were just 28 games apparently released on the Vectrex....and none of them seem to appear in any list of all-time best videogames (or at least with any frequency), where as the SNES is almost universally lauded.
Lets just say that there are a few people predisposed to voting the opposite of nintendo on these forums. No matter the alternative.

As has been aluded to by a few others. But that makes the polls interesting so not going to complain.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by The Laird » Tue May 09, 2017 9:42 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:24 am
Sephiroth81 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 am
SNES, clearly. I'm just not familiar with the Vectrex, but I find it hard to understand why this is even a close run contest (at least in this poll). I respect (believe it or not!) other peoples opinions, but there were just 28 games apparently released on the Vectrex....and none of them seem to appear in any list of all-time best videogames (or at least with any frequency), where as the SNES is almost universally lauded.
Lets just say that there are a few people predisposed to voting the opposite of nintendo on these forums. No matter the alternative.

As has been aluded to by a few others. But that makes the polls interesting so not going to complain.
I would say there is FAR more bias towards Nintendo than against them on this forum actually so i don't think that is a relevent excuse.

As somebody already said, the Vectrex is a totally unique games console, there is nothing else out there anything like it, you can't say the same about the SNES.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 09, 2017 10:10 am

The Laird wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:42 am
RodimusPrime wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:24 am
Sephiroth81 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 am
SNES, clearly. I'm just not familiar with the Vectrex, but I find it hard to understand why this is even a close run contest (at least in this poll). I respect (believe it or not!) other peoples opinions, but there were just 28 games apparently released on the Vectrex....and none of them seem to appear in any list of all-time best videogames (or at least with any frequency), where as the SNES is almost universally lauded.
Lets just say that there are a few people predisposed to voting the opposite of nintendo on these forums. No matter the alternative.

As has been aluded to by a few others. But that makes the polls interesting so not going to complain.
I would say there is FAR more bias towards Nintendo than against them on this forum actually so i don't think that is a relevent excuse.

As somebody already said, the Vectrex is a totally unique games console, there is nothing else out there anything like it, you can't say the same about the SNES.
Unique does not mean better.

But honestly, if the vectrex wins because people have better memories of it and enjoyed it more than the Snes then thats fine and I have no issue.

Its just that if you go back and read a lot of the comments, people are sometimes voting just to be a little contrary ( not just Nintendo mind you, but other consoles as well )

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 am
SNES, clearly. I'm just not familiar with the Vectrex, but I find it hard to understand why this is even a close run contest (at least in this poll). I respect (believe it or not!) other peoples opinions, but there were just 28 games apparently released on the Vectrex....and none of them seem to appear in any list of all-time best videogames (or at least with any frequency), where as the SNES is almost universally lauded.
Yet again, despite our differences, we seem to agree about a loty when the subject is purely about videogames ( same with the 360 vs Wii as well )

The Vectrex is great but very limited.

I don't really get the unique, something nothing else can offer, etc etc comments.

I mean, those arguments can be used for the Virtual boy as well.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by The Laird » Tue May 09, 2017 11:08 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 am
I don't really get the unique, something nothing else can offer, etc etc comments.

I mean, those arguments can be used for the Virtual boy as well.
The difference is that the Virtual Boy has very few decent games and gives you a migraine every time you play it! :P

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R2 VECTREX VS SNES

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 09, 2017 11:27 am

The Laird wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 11:08 am
RodimusPrime wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 am
I don't really get the unique, something nothing else can offer, etc etc comments.

I mean, those arguments can be used for the Virtual boy as well.
The difference is that the Virtual Boy has very few decent games and gives you a migraine every time you play it! :P
Yes, well there is that.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests