Page 2 of 3

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:51 am
by Antiriad2097
psj3809 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 6:47 am
Like i say i didnt know anyone back then with one, everyone had a home computer and didnt have a console till perhaps the NES or when the Megadrive came out, then in the late 80's lots of us moved over from our 8 bits to a console (or amiga).

I remember seeing a console back in the 80's (NES ?) and as a kid being shocked how expensive the games were as i was used to much cheaper prices and (ahem) tape to tape copies ;)
I had a cousin who's dad was always doing dodgy deals, among those was a Master System. It didn't hang around for long, but I remember being impressed with Outrun compared to the C64 & Speccy versions, so that dates the period somewhat. I couldn't fathom why it was so flickery on so many games, which was disappointing compared to what I was used to, but I understood it was shifting a lot of stuff, in full colour, and fast. I really liked it, but those cartridge prices were an absolute no go for me.

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:59 pm
by TheDude18
The Atari 2600 kick-started my interest in 'video' games. Yet I was always envious of a Master System during my C64 days (I always remember reading a review of Operation Wolf on the MS which looked amazing) Master System for the win.

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:44 pm
by markopoloman
Noooooo... the other polls mean nothing to me - but the 2600 being beaten by the Master System is horrible! I bought my master system on launch and pretty much couldn't stand it from the word go. Loved my C64 more - and the Atari 2600 is still such a fantastic little gem...

:(

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:36 pm
by HalcyonDaze00
master system is far better

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:47 pm
by paranoid marvin
markopoloman wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 6:44 pm
Noooooo... the other polls mean nothing to me - but the 2600 being beaten by the Master System is horrible! I bought my master system on launch and pretty much couldn't stand it from the word go. Loved my C64 more - and the Atari 2600 is still such a fantastic little gem...

:(
I agree; the 2600 being beaten by such an average machine...

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:57 am
by RodimusPrime
paranoid marvin wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 7:47 pm
markopoloman wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 6:44 pm
Noooooo... the other polls mean nothing to me - but the 2600 being beaten by the Master System is horrible! I bought my master system on launch and pretty much couldn't stand it from the word go. Loved my C64 more - and the Atari 2600 is still such a fantastic little gem...

:(
I agree; the 2600 being beaten by such an average machine...
Well it seems a lot of people disagree with you. I am more of a NES fan but would still admit that the Master system is more than just an average machine.

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 am
by The Laird
Well The Master System is obviously the better machine technically, it came out 9 years later so it bloody should be!

But does the SMS have a better games library (ratio of good to bad, compared to its rivals, variation in genre etc.) I would say no. And if we are talking about the legacy of the machines in question then the SMS doesn't really have one while the 2600 has probably left the biggest legacy of any games console, especially as it was the first one to achieve mass-market worldwide success.

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:01 am
by Antiriad2097
:lol:

SMS library, while possibly not as varied and with a lot of poop in there, has far more I'd rather play than the old VCS. There are plenty of decent SMS games that would easily compare with those available in the mobile market now, while there are only a select few VCS games even worth playing. As a piece of history, the 2600 is interesting. As a gaming system, its barely acceptable.

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:15 am
by The Laird
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 10:01 am
SMS library, while possibly not as varied and with a lot of poop in there, has far more I'd rather play than the old VCS. There are plenty of decent SMS games that would easily compare with those available in the mobile market now, while there are only a select few VCS games even worth playing. As a piece of history, the 2600 is interesting. As a gaming system, its barely acceptable.
In your opinion maybe. Personally speaking there are far more games I enjoy to play on the 2600 than the Master System. Unfortunately a lot of the Master System library just feels like gimped versions of Mega Drive games to me, although there are still some great games in there, don't get me wrong.

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:47 am
by RodimusPrime
The Laird wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 am
Well The Master System is obviously the better machine technically, it came out 9 years later so it bloody should be!

But does the SMS have a better games library (ratio of good to bad, compared to its rivals, variation in genre etc.) I would say no. And if we are talking about the legacy of the machines in question then the SMS doesn't really have one while the 2600 has probably left the biggest legacy of any games console, especially as it was the first one to achieve mass-market worldwide success.
The Atari 2600 despite having many many classics has one of the worst ratio of good to bad games of any console. Simply due to complete tidal wave of companies releasing rushed software to market.

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:01 am
by The Laird
RodimusPrime wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 10:47 am
The Laird wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 am
Well The Master System is obviously the better machine technically, it came out 9 years later so it bloody should be!

But does the SMS have a better games library (ratio of good to bad, compared to its rivals, variation in genre etc.) I would say no. And if we are talking about the legacy of the machines in question then the SMS doesn't really have one while the 2600 has probably left the biggest legacy of any games console, especially as it was the first one to achieve mass-market worldwide success.
The Atari 2600 despite having many many classics has one of the worst ratio of good to bad games of any console. Simply due to complete tidal wave of companies releasing rushed software to market.
I am not denying it has a lot of stinkers. Still not as bad as the Wii and Nintendo DS though :lol:

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:37 am
by RodimusPrime
The Laird wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 11:01 am
RodimusPrime wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 10:47 am
The Laird wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 am
Well The Master System is obviously the better machine technically, it came out 9 years later so it bloody should be!

But does the SMS have a better games library (ratio of good to bad, compared to its rivals, variation in genre etc.) I would say no. And if we are talking about the legacy of the machines in question then the SMS doesn't really have one while the 2600 has probably left the biggest legacy of any games console, especially as it was the first one to achieve mass-market worldwide success.
The Atari 2600 despite having many many classics has one of the worst ratio of good to bad games of any console. Simply due to complete tidal wave of companies releasing rushed software to market.
I am not denying it has a lot of stinkers. Still not as bad as the Wii and Nintendo DS though :lol:
The Wii and DS do have a load of shovelware, but they are functional and at least work. Lets be honest here, the 2600 was flooded with subpar, badly programmed games that were unplayable.

This is in no way takes away from the fact that it has a load of great classics, but the amopunt of unfinished crap is just too high of a percentage.

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:40 am
by Sephiroth81
I voted for Master System. I appreciate the influence the Atari 2600 had on the whole videogame market, but its aged so horrendously and was "after my time".

Are there any half playable 2600 games that are genuinely worth playing today, that aren't gimped arcade ports, or superior available ports on other systems?

As for the Master System, I remember some friends had it at the time, and then I got the Game Gear which is basically a portable version which I have fond memories of. A decent little console (MS), but will probably fall at the next hurdle, as its surely not "semi-final" class! Must have had a nice easyish path to get there.

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:53 am
by RodimusPrime
Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 11:40 am
I voted for Master System. I appreciate the influence the Atari 2600 had on the whole videogame market, but its aged so horrendously and was "after my time".

Are there any half playable 2600 games that are genuinely worth playing today, that aren't gimped arcade ports, or superior available ports on other systems?

As for the Master System, I remember some friends had it at the time, and then I got the Game Gear which is basically a portable version which I have fond memories of. A decent little console (MS), but will probably fall at the next hurdle, as its surely not "semi-final" class! Must have had a nice easyish path to get there.
NES in the first round ( which I put down to poor nes sales and Nintendos apathy towards marketing it in Europe ) and the Commodore C64GS.

TBH, I have it rightfully ahead of the 2600 and C64GS, but IMO it should never have got passed the NES.

Re: console battle QUARTER FINAL R1 ATARI 2600 VS MASTER SYSTEM

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:26 pm
by HalcyonDaze00
the master system has aged far better than the 2600, there is virtually nothing remotely playable on the 2600.

not even a close contest, and this is rightly reflected in the voting, a crushing victory for the master system.