3DO > ATARI JAGUAR
PLAYSTATION 1 > SEGA SATURN
NINTENDO 64 > AMIGA CD32
PLAYSTATION 2 > SEGA DREAMCAST
GAMECUBE > ORIGINAL XBOX
XBOX 360 > PLAYSTATION 3
NINTENDO Wii > NINTENDO WiiU
PLAYSTATION 4 > XBOX ONE

Story so far for t. So who is going into the Quarter finals.

Next up is ATARI 2600 VS COLECO VISION

For me its still the 2600

The Laird

Re: console battle first KO R1 ATARI 2600 VS COLECOVISION

Post by The Laird » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:40 am

Both great consoles, but you can't look past the Atari 2600

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:31 am

Technically Coleco is superior, plus with the adapter you could play most 2600 games. But still, the Atari system with it's many iconic games (with great box artwork) is legendary and wins for me.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:44 am

The 2600. It's a classic despite it's limitations. My (and many others) first experience with gaming.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon May 01, 2017 1:30 pm

Atari for those classic games!

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Tue May 02, 2017 10:55 am

I only had the Atari. I really didn't like it much though and I was hoping graphics would get better as even for its time. the atari graphics were very basic and crude. I did love Pitfall and this game where you were this ninja and you had to punch or kick other enemies off the screen. It wasn't Kung Fu Master, does anyone know what it may had been as I would love to see someone complete it on youtube as I could only ever get to these green belt arseholes who blocked my every move and then killed me. I think they were green belts but I may be wrong....
It was basically like commando only the enemies were karate experts or noobs. You could perform a flying kick too.

edit - I think I found it. Came out in 1989 which is why most people haven't played it. its really good!!
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-26 ... 16903.html

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue May 02, 2017 2:07 pm

Ryan GH wrote:I only had the Atari. I really didn't like it much though and I was hoping graphics would get better as even for its time. the atari graphics were very basic and crude. I did love Pitfall and this game where you were this ninja and you had to punch or kick other enemies off the screen. It wasn't Kung Fu Master, does anyone know what it may had been as I would love to see someone complete it on youtube as I could only ever get to these green belt arseholes who blocked my every move and then killed me. I think they were green belts but I may be wrong....
It was basically like commando only the enemies were karate experts or noobs. You could perform a flying kick too.

edit - I think I found it. Came out in 1989 which is why most people haven't played it. its really good!!
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-26 ... 16903.html

Tbh I was the opposite. Mind you, all I had to compare with was Pong. But to my mind those pixels in Combat WERE tanks, the flashing green and brown lines in Robot Tank WERE undulating terrain, and those white dots in Star Raiders WERE planets and galaxies. And do you know what? Even when I go back to them today, they still are.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:01 am

100% Atari. The 2600 is a classic machine, love it

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Wed May 03, 2017 8:32 am

Tbh I was the opposite. Mind you, all I had to compare with was Pong. But to my mind those pixels in Combat WERE tanks, the flashing green and brown lines in Robot Tank WERE undulating terrain, and those white dots in Star Raiders WERE planets and galaxies. And do you know what? Even when I go back to them today, they still are.
You're lucky to have such a good imagination. I've been spoilt too much by the likes of Bioshock and Fallout 3.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed May 03, 2017 9:08 am

Ryan GH wrote:
You're lucky to have such a good imagination. I've been spoilt too much by the likes of Bioshock and Fallout 3.

Tbh if I was looking at it now for the first time i probably wouldn't , but all the 'superior' and more 'realistic' graphics between then and now haven't affected my enjoyment. I want games that look like games, not ones that pretend to be something that they aren't.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed May 03, 2017 9:13 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Ryan GH wrote:

Tbh if I was looking at it now for the first time i probably wouldn't , but all the 'superior' and more 'realistic' graphics between then and now haven't affected my enjoyment. I want games that look like games, not ones that pretend to be something that they aren't.
But aren't the blocks in combat pretending to be tanks? they are not tanks but they are pretending to be.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed May 03, 2017 12:49 pm

All graphics in all games are pretending to be something theyre not. Generally speaking the more 'real' you try to.make something look the more you fail; Garmin and Leia being two good examples
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sat May 06, 2017 4:37 am

I think Half Life 2's facial expressions are fairly life-like, especially Alyx. She was almost real to me....