Serious operations or accidents you have had!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu May 31, 2007 8:37 am

Kaptain_Von wrote:Had a car accident back in the 80s followed by four weeks in a coma which kind of meant that I didn't feel too much pain from the fractured left arm, three broken ribs, right leg broken in three places and various cuts and abrasions. Apparently I was lucky to survive, unfortunately my then girlfriend didn't.

Was once carted off to hospital with a suspected broken rib after vacating a building through the window during a training exercise only to discover a fence in my flightpath. Bounced off the top of the fence, landed face down on concrete and landing on an MP5 between you and the concrete is ***** painful even if you are wearing body armour. I don't recommend it.

Last major stay in hospital was in 2000 after being diagnosed with a long term illness that if it had not been diagnosed when it had, I would have been the ex Kaptain_Von within 24 hours.
But other than that you've been ok?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu May 31, 2007 9:12 am

Dudley wrote:
Kaptain_Von wrote:Had a car accident back in the 80s followed by four weeks in a coma which kind of meant that I didn't feel too much pain from the fractured left arm, three broken ribs, right leg broken in three places and various cuts and abrasions. Apparently I was lucky to survive, unfortunately my then girlfriend didn't.

Was once carted off to hospital with a suspected broken rib after vacating a building through the window during a training exercise only to discover a fence in my flightpath. Bounced off the top of the fence, landed face down on concrete and landing on an MP5 between you and the concrete is ***** painful even if you are wearing body armour. I don't recommend it.

Last major stay in hospital was in 2000 after being diagnosed with a long term illness that if it had not been diagnosed when it had, I would have been the ex Kaptain_Von within 24 hours.
Yeah I think we have a winner!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu May 31, 2007 9:39 am

Dudley wrote:

Well, me rheumaticks is playin' up and me lumbago is givin' me gyp an' I'm a martyr to me gastricks. As for me waterworks, don't ask.

Still, can't grumble eh! :)
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

station

Post by station » Thu May 31, 2007 12:35 pm

FatTrucker wrote:I had an op to remove a Pilonidal Sinus last year.....f**king nasty. Google it if you're brave enough.
Medical website wrote:A pilonidal sinus (PNS) occurs in the cleavage between the buttocks (natal cleft) and can cause discomfort, embarrassment and absence from work for thousands of young people (mostly men) annually.
:lol: :lol:

northern_gooner

mine

Post by northern_gooner » Thu May 31, 2007 5:13 pm

March 30th 2006, Oxford services, 10.15pm.
Changing a demountable box on my works wagon, as I am locking the pins the person working with me started to raise the wagon. Trapping my finger between the wagon body & a 13 tonne steel container. 10 mins to lower the wagon again, 20 mins for an ambulance to turn up. Taken to hospital and filled with morphine then taken to surgury & watched them clean it, drill into the bone & try to re-build it, all the time telling them to just chop it off. Anyway a month later the pins are taken out, the top of the finger collapses, 4 months later NHS decide to take it off. They do & pull the skin straight over the bone, pull the tendons too tight so I cant bend my finger & now I am still awaiting another operation too take more of the finger off as its infected. Anyway, it hasn't affected me playing on my old consoles & I am thankful for that.
& yes I have pics of the top of my finger just hanging there.

Keep on gaming :lol:

beesty

Post by beesty » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:03 am

Not me but my dad broke his tibia and fibula which left his foot swinging around 360 with just skin to hold it onto his leg.
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:42 am

beesty wrote:Not me but my dad broke his tibia and fibula which left his foot swinging around 360 with just skin to hold it onto his leg.
Ouch. :shock: My dad used to play in a Sunday league football team and one of his mates did something similar, his foot was pointing the wrong way. He ended up loosing the lower leg, below the knee.

I get really squeamish about leg/knee/ankle injuries - much moreso than blood. ( still can't watch that scene in Misery without hiding my face behind my hands)
Last edited by The Penultimate Ninja on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:04 am

I've gone into a fair few diabetic comas as well over the years, these have mainly been during the night so I've come round on my own during the next day thinking what the hell's going on, I've also had a few where I've not fully gone into the coma but I've lost the ability to concentrate and also I get double vision so I have to spend half an hour or so with one eye shut so I can look at things. Went to hospital to have the old brain checked out just in case it was something else but nothing showed up, except my brain that is, which is a good thing :D
Splink!

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:43 am

The Penultimate Ninja wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote:One of my "fangs" needs to be filled with a ceramic, to stop me from losing it althogether - however, I'm still finding it hard to accept "injection in gum"

Does NOT compute!
Those aren't that bad really - as far as someone sticking needles into your mouth can be 'not bad'. :?
I've had to have one into the roof of the mouth once, that really makes your eyes water.

One minor but interesting injury as a kid - I was playing around in the bathroom and fell and hit my head/face on the bath. I split my eyelid which really freaked my mum out since she could see the eyeball when I closed my eye.

It needed stitches which involved local anesthetic and some injections to make the 2 sides of the cut swell up so they could be stitched more easily. Being awake and watching all those needles so close to my eye was a bit scary.
Wow, I just passed out reading that........at work :o
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

forestville

Post by forestville » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:25 am

Late 90s I broke one of my front teeth on the bottom of a swimming pool, had to go to the dentist to have a crown put in which involved an injection in the mouth (painfull) the dentist ground down the broken tooth onto a pulp and then drilled a hole up into the gum for the crown to be put place.
Press play on tape

pipoldchap

Post by pipoldchap » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:49 pm

Broke my arm skateboarding in an aircraft hangar, and collected the medal with a smile on my face.

Also had my tits doen. I kid you not, the Air Force pumped me full of anabolic steroids and I got a wicked pair. And despite the general discussion, I did leave the house. They weren't fun to play with and it cost another country's tax payers £4000.

But now I'm buff! WOOT!

And no, you can't see my moobs before, although they were better than some of my ex girlies'... just way hairier!

:lol:
I WISH I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner...

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:55 pm

LMAO. :lol: :lol: :lol:
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:11 am

(touch wood) yearsss ago when i was about 10 i was speeding down this alleyway really fast on my pushbike, hit a stone and went flying. Got knocked unconcious and was found by someone, taken to hospital. Busted up a ton of my teeth (thats why i have the odd wonkey tooth now) and had to wear a brace (thankfully back one) in my mouth for a fair while.

I feel i have been lucky as the thought of needles (hate blood tests, needles for holidays etc) i feel very ill and going to hospital i would hate !

Years ago in my sunday league footy team a player was off for ages, his brother told us that he went to hospital as he had 'ingrowing arse hair' which was causing him severe pain !

And before you ask no this isnt a 'my 'friend' had..... (meaning it was me)'. The poor bloke when he came back to football was well embarassed as his evil brother had told everyone !

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:32 am

psj3809 wrote:Years ago in my sunday league footy team a player was off for ages, his brother told us that he went to hospital as he had 'ingrowing arse hair' which was causing him severe pain !

And before you ask no this isnt a 'my 'friend' had..... (meaning it was me)'. The poor bloke when he came back to football was well embarassed as his evil brother had told everyone !

Yup, that would be your pilonidal sinus. Though when I describe it I tend to leave out details like that and stick with absess at base of spine. Sound much cooler. :oops:

James A

Post by James A » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:56 am

Guitarist in my bands had that ingrowing arse hair, he was off work for three weeks after the operation and it got infected and left him in a right mess. We call him Dom Vito now as like the man himself he has two arseholes :D