Ever backed the wrong " Horse "

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

English Invader

Re: Ever backed the wrong " Horse "

Post by English Invader » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:53 am

RodimusPrime wrote: Well I am doing ok, 1 speccy owner I know is in prison, and 1 is unemployed, the c64 owners are doing ok but nothing special.
I remember seeing something on TV a little while ago (awards ceremony for do-gooders hosted by Carol Vorderman) and there was a guy on there who had done time in prison for drug offences and, while in there, decided to develop the programming skills he had initially learned on the Speccy as a kid and went on to run a very successful software company.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:55 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
Well I am doing ok, 1 speccy owner I know is in prison, and 1 is unemployed, the c64 owners are doing ok but nothing special.

After this indeph survey and investigation I think its safe to assume that yes indeed, Amstrad owners usually do better in life.

Wow, who would have thought a decades old argument could be solved this easily, I think we can all sigh with relief that its finally all over.
I was a C64 owner (well, my brothers mainly), and they drink a lot of booze, and i'm a massive druggie addict. Where as Alan Sugar had an Amstrad, and he's now a squillionaire, tee-totaller and points fingers at scum to fire people. :mrgreen:

The C64 is still the king of the 8 bit home computers though! :P
I appreciate your knowledge on the subject and it does seem to reinforce the idea that Amstrad owners do seem in general to do better in life.

Now some cheeky sods may say that's because the Amstrad was crap ( A n outright lie and a scandalous thing to say ) so the owners were busy learning other skills while C64 and speccy owners were to busy playing games, but I heartily disagree with that.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:06 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
I appreciate your knowledge on the subject and it does seem to reinforce the idea that Amstrad owners do seem in general to do better in life.

Now some cheeky sods may say that's because the Amstrad was crap ( A n outright lie and a scandalous thing to say ) so the owners were busy learning other skills while C64 and speccy owners were to busy playing games, but I heartily disagree with that.
I only wish I had access to psychodellic drugs during the 1980s whilst playing some of these ridiculous 8-bit home computer games!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:40 am

Was getting the famous "green screen" monitor for the CPC, the wrong horse?

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:41 am

I assumed this discussion had turned into a discussion about cheap and expensive computers and the British class system by now... 8)

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:44 am

Katzkatz wrote:Was getting the famous "green screen" monitor for the CPC, the wrong horse?
Probably for gaming, but the good resolution of the green monitor made it much better than the colour one for 80 character screens, ie serious work and coding

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:27 pm

ivarf wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:Was getting the famous "green screen" monitor for the CPC, the wrong horse?
Probably for gaming, but the good resolution of the green monitor made it much better than the colour one for 80 character screens, ie serious work and coding
Yeah, mode 2 was practically unusable on the colour monitor. Still, in an ideal world you'd have had both, or at least the green screen and a modulator which is what I had.