Ever backed the wrong " Horse "

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Re: Ever backed the wrong " Horse "

Post by sscott » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:26 am

Atari XL. Remember my local newsagent had about 3 games and Spectrum and Commodore had 100s! Don't regret it too much apart from the fact it was hard to swap games with mates.
Cokecovision was a strange one too but I had several brilliant arcade ports that kept me happy.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:02 pm

I started out with a Spectravideo 318 which luckily got traded for a C= 64 after a few months.
Since then I have had no regrets; I still feel the Amiga is a better experience than a Windows machine (but it isn't technically good enough though) so I use Open SUSE on this box while hoping something better will turn up one day.

But I have backed a "right" horse that I wish I didn't: WoW. Never has the saying been more right: "The only way to win is not playing".

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:53 pm

sscott wrote:Atari XL. Remember my local newsagent had about 3 games and Spectrum and Commodore had 100s! Don't regret it too much apart from the fact it was hard to swap games with mates.
Cokecovision was a strange one too but I had several brilliant arcade ports that kept me happy.
The XL was the computer I drooled over in the catalogues. Imagine my surprise when I got a C64! I was disappointed until my brother told me the XL had next to no games but the C64 had hundreds... I love my parents for saving me :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:10 am

Katzkatz wrote:
Treguard wrote:My parents were convinced by the man in Comet that the Phillips CD-i was going to be the next big thing. We all know what happened there. That said I played The Apprentice on one at Play Leeds on Sunday, if it had had more games like that it could have fared far better, it was just at that time where people couldn't really conceive of any benefit to CD formats besides FMV and better audio.

I was also one of the people who had ITV Digital over SKY back in the day. I remember coming down that morning and finding out I had no channels... still the Ondigital box was a nifty bit of kit for the time. I could program it to 'wake' at a certain point so I could set my VCR at the same time to record programs while I was out. That's genius up there with the TV with the built in teletext printer that is.
The CDi isn't too bad. I think 7th Guest was sort of its killer app game - with the FMV module. I always remember that the local Dixons had one and it was always playing the Video CD of Star Trek VI : The Undiscovered Country. That was one of the only Video CDs that I saw on sale in Dixons(I don't think anywhere really stocked them. Shocking, as I never saw them in Volume One or Our Price, back in the day) - the other Video CD on sale was Four Weddings and a Funeral. I did have an old schoolfriend who bought one. He also had a SNES. He used to play Chess and Tetris on his CDi a lot. Making full use of that FMV cartridge there! :lol: My local sixth form college had one in the library and used it for the CDROM encyclopedia thing - it was a different era, what with CDROM being the next big thing on all computer and console formats. Don't forget that CDi had the first motion control system.

On the subject of ITV Digital and Sky and "wrong horses" - did anyone have BSB? The squarial. Remember that? Programs like : Jupiter Moon and Heil Honey, I'm Home, etc. The Galaxy channel, etc. That had a higher quality signal system(D2MAC - I think) - so you could use an RGB scart to your TV.
CDI is horrendous. Sorry but it really is.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 am

markopoloman wrote:
sscott wrote:Atari XL. Remember my local newsagent had about 3 games and Spectrum and Commodore had 100s! Don't regret it too much apart from the fact it was hard to swap games with mates.
The XL was the computer I drooled over in the catalogues. Imagine my surprise when I got a C64! I was disappointed until my brother told me the XL had next to no games but the C64 had hundreds... I love my parents for saving me :lol:
Atari Mania lists over 9000, so if you call that no games then you were very lucky :P

My dad actually wanted to buy me the 65XE pack with light gun and games that Toys R Us were doing because it was such good value, but I was insistent that I wanted a Spectrum as that's what my friends had. In hindsight I wish I had got the XE because it was the much better machine and there would have been no need for me to get a 2600 as well for the instant loading/cartridge games.
Last edited by The Laird on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:52 am

It's really funny because until more recent years I had never even played an Atari 8-bit yet alone knew anybody with one when I was a kid. But I clearly remember my local games shop (Software Plus in St. Albans) having a really big A8 section. My friends and I always used to stand there looking at them as they were right next to the counter and think it was amazing that this magical machine could play tapes, disks and cartridges. This made it even stranger that I never met anyone with one, because those people must have been around judging by the selection on offer.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:08 am

I'd have thought that the Atari 8-bit would have been well and truly the right horse in 1979, at least if you could afford one. Let's face it, nothing came close to it for graphics and sound at the time and they wouldn't for another three years. Plus you'd still get a few good years of games like Dropzone, Rescue on Fractalus and Mercenary after that. The XL still had the latter period going for it, I suppose.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Atari XL was a brilliant machine , and in the early days the C64 was getting conversions of Atari games. English Software, US Gold, Activision , Lucasfilm and Atari themselves showed that the machine could have brilliantly inventive games with unique sound and graphics. Fractulus , Star Raiders, Mr Do, Elektraglide. Zorro along with lots of text adventures and war/strategy games showed the machine as second to none; until games started bein potter from C64 to A8 when there was a massive downturn. The machine is still brulliant and massively underrated, ESP by those who saw the machine in it's latter years. The soundtrack for Warhawk is as impressive as any SID masterpiece and Elektraglide has scrolling as silly smooth as any C64 best seller.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:51 pm

I loved the wii and seeing how it had 1000's of games i bought a wii u yeah it never took off I bet it's easy to get a full physical pal wii u collection. a lad at school pestered his parents and got the Ngage oh dear.
This guy are sick

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:42 am

I paid £200 for a recordable mini disc player in 1999, boy that was the wrong horse
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:56 pm

rocky1980 wrote:I paid £200 for a recordable mini disc player in 1999, boy that was the wrong horse
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spector will not like your comment on that one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose that was late in Minidisc's lifespan. Although, I'd say it probably was around 2001 that it stopped being viable as a format. It had some success in Europe - just not the US. I didn't have one myself, but knew quite a few people who got into it.

As for the Atari 8 bit XL - I did know someone who had one. I played Druid 2 on that one time. I think I was told that it was quite expensive at the time in the UK, and also later on it faced tough competition from the Spectrum and C64 - so didn't make much inroads.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
rocky1980 wrote:I paid £200 for a recordable mini disc player in 1999, boy that was the wrong horse
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spector will not like your comment on that one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose that was late in Minidisc's lifespan. Although, I'd say it probably was around 2001 that it stopped being viable as a format. It had some success in Europe - just not the US. I didn't have one myself, but knew quite a few people who got into it.

As for the Atari 8 bit XL - I did know someone who had one. I played Druid 2 on that one time. I think I was told that it was quite expensive at the time in the UK, and also later on it faced tough competition from the Spectrum and C64 - so didn't make much inroads.
I still use mine a lot for field recording and for dubbing vinyl on the go. I have an optical out on the amp which goes into the deck. Wonderful sound quality.
Going Solo...................

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:11 pm

blockbuster failing to buy netflix was a good example of failing to back the horse all together
This guy are sick

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:46 pm

I still use mine a lot for field recording and for dubbing vinyl on the go. I have an optical out on the amp which goes into the deck. Wonderful sound quality.
Oh the sound was great, MP3 was on the rise but no one new if that was the next 'thing' or were mini discs going to replace CD's
blockbuster failing to buy netflix was a good example of failing to back the horse all together
That will go down in history as one of the worst business decisions ever
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:28 pm

rocky1980 wrote:
Oh the sound was great, MP3 was on the rise but no one new if that was the next 'thing' or were mini discs going to replace CD's
That will go down in history as one of the worst business decisions ever
it's a shame because the store was more then a retal place much like book libaries(which have also started to close) video store where a meet up spot, a video rental was an experiance you cant get with netflix. that said blockbuster stores may have been axed anyway if they had of bought netflix or mabie streaming would have not taken off ... who knows
This guy are sick