Trailer for the new "IT" movie

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Trailer for the new "IT" movie

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnCdOQsX5kc

Looks like Krusty...I mean Pennywise is returning to the cinema. Not big on remakes or re-hashes but as a big fan of the book, I really liked the look of this trailer to be fair.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Re: Trailer for the new "IT" movie

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:31 pm

I predict it won't have the weird child gangbang scene from the book, something presented as victorious but the most disturbing thing in it, the only thing I really remember having red it on release.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I predict it won't have the weird child gangbang scene from the book, something presented as victorious but the most disturbing thing in it, the only thing I really remember having red it on release.
Yeah that was weird for sure! Was it in the original movie? I can't remember seeing it all the way through.

But yeah, that sort of scene won't be in a film of 2017.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:29 pm

Never read the book but thought the film was pretty crap to be honest. I just didn't find it scary and just when it should end there's an entire third act set in modern day with a giant spider.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:46 pm

Most old Stephen King films are turds, deffo one of those instances where the book is better.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:30 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Most old Stephen King films are turds, deffo one of those instances where the book is better.
Yeah, I've always wondered about IT. I had only seen it a few years ago. I'm not an aficionado of King's work(either in film or book form). I've heard that the book of IT is better than the film.

I think his short stories tend to make better films(e.g. The Shawshank Redemption - which is officially "The Greatest Film of All Time!" TM :lol: and more recently The Green Mile - which I actually thought was better than The Shawshank Redemption) - at least, that's what I think.

I have seen The Shining - but that's more Kubrick's vision than King's. I've also seen Cujo and was underwhelmed by it. I also caught Misery a few years ago and that's pretty decent, but not amazing.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:38 am

I enjoyed IT found it scary but now I laugh when I see Krusty as I think of the Clown who posts here. Salem Lot is brilliant and very close to the book as is the Shinning Remake. My favourite King film is the uncut Needful Thing 'Max Von Sydo' is brilliant as the demon shopkeeper 'Mr Gaunt. Unfortunately the DVD release is heavily censored so does not make a lot of sense.

I've enjoy Kings books as per my forum signature - when I read IT I Hated it and gave up, strangely whilst reading the book. I was speaking to Krusty in Pm and he said "his name wasn't Andrew Long but Bob Gray". Not long after in the book Bob Gray was the name of IT in its clown form.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:26 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Most old Stephen King films are turds, deffo one of those instances where the book is better.
Yeah, I've always wondered about IT. I had only seen it a few years ago. I'm not an aficionado of King's work(either in film or book form). I've heard that the book of IT is better than the film.

I think his short stories tend to make better films(e.g. The Shawshank Redemption - which is officially "The Greatest Film of All Time!" TM :lol: and more recently The Green Mile - which I actually thought was better than The Shawshank Redemption) - at least, that's what I think.

I have seen The Shining - but that's more Kubrick's vision than King's. I've also seen Cujo and was underwhelmed by it. I also caught Misery a few years ago and that's pretty decent, but not amazing.

The Mist, Carrie and Christine are really good, 1408 isn't bad, The Running Man is fun but dated

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:19 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:

The Mist, Carrie and Christine are really good, 1408 isn't bad, The Running Man is fun but dated
Oh, yikes - The Running Man - I had forgotten about that one. Yes, I have seen that. For some reason - I must have thought that based on Smash TV! :lol: "I'll be back." "Only in re-runs.". :lol: A classic line of dialogue. :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:27 am

Those movies are average at best, all have dated terribly. Acceptable in their day, its hard to imagine new viewers putting up with them.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:19 am

I've got a soft spot for Dreamcatcher. It's a ridiculous B-movie of a movie that I always find to be watchable.

Any attempt to bring a big Lovecraftian novel like IT to the screen is always going to be compromised too much imo. The book relies on character detail and drawn out atmosphere to deliver its story and themes. Even more than is usual for King's major novels. I think it's amusing that the movie industry sees the work as a creature feature that can be adapted for film.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:37 am

The Beans wrote:I've got a soft spot for Dreamcatcher. It's a ridiculous B-movie of a movie that I always find to be watchable.
^ Agreed, good movie.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:47 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Those movies are average at best, all have dated terribly. Acceptable in their day, its hard to imagine new viewers putting up with them.

The special effects for Christine rebuilding herself still look incredible today. It's also really well shot and makes what is basically a standard car with dark windows look very sinister

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:12 am

I think a lot of the time IT and salems lot have the heavily edited versions shown on tv. The extended versions are the best. I agree about tge stupid spider scene though.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:36 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:I think a lot of the time IT and salems lot have the heavily edited versions shown on tv. The extended versions are the best. I agree about tge stupid spider scene though.
Yeah, I think a lot of people think. Pennywise is quite a good villain - and then all of a sudden in the last act of the film, with the spider - it all goes to pieces.