Terror attack at Westminster?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pratty

Re: Terror attack at Westminster?

Post by pratty » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:27 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
pratty wrote:We could limit the mass immigration of Middle Eastern immigrants so that they are more encouraged to integrate rather than form their own isolated communities which can create feelings of us vs them, and where Islamic extremism can seed.
I'm not sure I'm up for that, since the reverse also applies (minus the extremism). Around the globe, there are communities of expats from the UK. I like those places. I can holiday there and feel at home. Communication is easy, the food is edible and the entertainment understandable. If we shut down UK communities, should we also expect that to happen elsewhere? We have freedom of movement and can live as we please, lets also afford Johnny Foreigner that small concession on our tiny island. Let's not take the majority to task for what is a tiny minority of nutters.
Yes those places should have every right to to limit the admission of British immigrants and holidaymakers as they see fit. Except we give them little reason to, because they like us spending our money there, and more to the point we generally don't commit acts of terrorism there.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:59 am

pratty wrote:
Yes those places should have every right to to limit the admission of British immigrants and holidaymakers as they see fit. Except we give them little reason to, because they like us spending our money there, and more to the point we generally don't commit acts of terrorism there.
Yea, generally we don't (commit acts of terrorism abroad), but neither do immigrants living in the UK in general. Most of the terror acts committed in the UK in recent years are by british born citizens. Sure some immigrants commit other crimes, but so do british immigrants. We like our immigrants spending money here too :)

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:03 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
pratty wrote:
Yea, generally we don't (commit acts of terrorism abroad), but neither do immigrants living in the UK in general.
Immigration has played a part in enough acts of terrorism here and in the west to make it an issue here.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:23 am

pratty wrote: Immigration has played a part in enough acts of terrorism here and in the west to make it an issue here.
Since 7/7 (2005) London bombings, there have been 9 "successful" terrorist attacks on UK soil (including 7/7) where detonation has taken place of explosives, or injuries or killings. All of them were carried out by british born citizens, aside from Pavlo Lapshyn, a Ukrainian student, a right wing extremist, who murdered Mohammed Saleem. 6 were islamist attacks though, including of course the one on Wednesday. They were all brits though (other than the example from Ukraine).

Before 2005, the majority of UK terrorist acts were carried out overwhelmingly by the IRA (and far far more frequently)....so I guess that was sort of down to immigrants....

It may not feel like it (especially in light of what happened on wednesday), thanks to a doom-laden media narrative, and 24/7 wall to wall news online, but the UK is currently experiencing a time of relative peace compared to previous decades in terms of terrorism. The fact that nearly all of it is domestic, may not be particularly relevant, but it is a fact nonetheless.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Can we get the news to employ the same filters we have on this board to any coverage of further acts such as this? I suggest replacing 'terrorist' with 'arsehole' and 'so-called Islamic state' with 'a set of tossers'.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
pratty wrote: Immigration has played a part in enough acts of terrorism here and in the west to make it an issue here.
Since 7/7 (2005) London bombings, there have been 9 "successful" terrorist attacks on UK soil (including 7/7) where detonation has taken place of explosives, or injuries or killings. All of them were carried out by british born citizens, aside from Pavlo Lapshyn, a Ukrainian student, a right wing extremist, who murdered Mohammed Saleem. 6 were islamist attacks though, including of course the one on Wednesday. They were all brits though (other than the example from Ukraine).

Before 2005, the majority of UK terrorist acts were carried out overwhelmingly by the IRA (and far far more frequently)....so I guess that was sort of down to immigrants....

It may not feel like it (especially in light of what happened on wednesday), thanks to a doom-laden media narrative, and 24/7 wall to wall news online, but the UK is currently experiencing a time of relative peace compared to previous decades in terms of terrorism. The fact that nearly all of it is domestic, may not be particularly relevant, but it is a fact nonetheless.
So let me get this straight. You seem to be suggesting that if a person is born in this country then all influences brought in through immigration are somehow totally negated or just don't exist. Is that what you're saying here?
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Terrorist or random nutter?
Well, it would obviously be "nutter".
But wait......."what's his name?"

Scrap that, terrorist attack! :?

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:57 am

The Beans wrote:
So let me get this straight. You seem to be suggesting that if a person is born in this country then all influences brought in through immigration are somehow totally negated or just don't exist. Is that what you're saying here?
Nope, i was just curious on the breakdown of terrorist offences in the UK since 7/7 and was surprised that only one happened to not be a UK citizen (a far right wing extremist from outside the European Union). The relative infrequency of these attacks was also interesting.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:53 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
The Beans wrote:
Nope, i was just curious on the breakdown of terrorist offences in the UK since 7/7 and was surprised that only one happened to not be a UK citizen (a far right wing extremist from outside the European Union). The relative infrequency of these attacks was also interesting.

I think it is down to good work by the police and security services foiling dozens of unsuccesful terror plots in this country since 7/7 though.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:28 pm

aztecca wrote:

I think it is down to good work by the police and security services foiling dozens of unsuccesful terror plots in this country since 7/7 though.
I don't disagree, the same applied to IRA and other terror attacks pre 7/7 as well.