Is this racist

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Negative Creep

Re: Is this racist

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:23 pm

DPrinny wrote:Its always been "catch a spider by the toe" well thats the way its been said for year round my end

It was always tiger or Tigger when I was growing up. Never even realised it had a racist version until I was an adult

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Political correctness has gone too far, it's gone from well meaning social progress to ironically oppressive levels of thought and action policing. It's become a game of Gotcha with it's ever changing rules, terms and contradictions. It might not be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that the ironically labelled 'liberals' want their restrictive rules enforced by law, with total disregard for people's personal freedom.

We need to examine the concept of offence and the harm it supposedly does. There was a university Gender Studies professor debating Professor Jordan Peterson on television and he said that Peterson's refusal to use the new dozens of made up gender pro-nouns was effectively an act of violence against his transgender students. Peterson made the point that not content with restricting what you could say, now they are going one step further seeking to enforce what you must say.

I guess the argument is that a person could be so upset that they harm themselves, and so the offender is effectively responsible for that. The trouble is you can potentially be offended by anything and the extent to which you're offended and the resulting consequences are entirely dependant on the personality of the offended person. Futhermore there is no way to gauge or prove a person's offended-ness, so a person can claim to be gravely offended by absolutely anything and who is anyone to question them? How far do we go to nerf the world and protect the easily upset? People being deliberately offensive isn't nice, but it would be to the easily offended's benefit to learn to toughen up a little and not give other people's words such power over them.

A lot of offence is essentially self-inflicted, if for example you find the content of a lecture by a social commentator offensive, rather than resorting to protesting, disrupting and banning their right to express themselves and the right of others to listen to them, those that would be offended could simply leave/not attend, just as those offended by a certain type of music can simply opt to not listen to it. It's actually quite arrogant to say you're doing the rest of society a service by silencing an opinion you personally disagree with. If the opinion is so self evidently wrong and hateful why not let it sink in a free market of ideas?

The extent of today's political correctness reminds me of the saying "when you have a hammer everything looks like a nail," and it's been said to be an addiction among social justice warrior types, that they get a high from their virtue signalling and they're constantly looking for a new fix by percieving new offences and social injustices everywhere.
Last edited by pratty on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:37 pm

Megamixer wrote: Blacks call it each other and it's fine but if a white person uses the term, it's suddenly racist.
Careful now, can you even say "blacks"? I'm fairly certain you can't say "the blacks". I think the prefered term these days is "person of colour", which is bizarre considering how upset people get about "coloured person".
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:47 pm

It's a shame people jump to conclusions and don't think or do a bit of research

The guy is 60+, he is of the generation who will have used the original rhyme in its racist context.

He is also very unlikely to have watch the walking dead given his age and occupation - vicar.

There is no branding on the t-shirt that makes it clear it is merchandise.

Given that, the use of the image would be questionable, especially combined with the text.

Given that I think it's quite easy to jump to the wrong conclusion as he did.

I feel sorry for the guy, god knows how many insults, death threats, trolls he'll get now the easily offended anti PC brigade have gotten offended.

Oh the irony of their hypocrisy and ignorance in their offence at someone else's ignorance.

You have to wonder whether the low quality journalism is part of being a local paper was just that, or intended clickbait.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Its always been "catch a spider by the toe" well thats the way its been said for year round my end

It was always tiger or Tigger when I was growing up. Never even realised it had a racist version until I was an adult

Was always the "n" word round here.Even remember my grandad teaching it me.He was a bit like alf garnett though and when the election was on when my mom was little.He would make her stand at the front gate with a placard saying "if you want a n××ger for a neighbour vote labour". :shock:

True anecdote
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Wont anybody think of the Chinese sweat shop workers?

THEY WAS GOING TO GET A MINUTE BREAK IF THIS SOLD!!

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:31 pm

pratty wrote:
Megamixer wrote: Blacks call it each other and it's fine but if a white person uses the term, it's suddenly racist.
Careful now, can you even say "blacks"? I'm fairly certain you can't say "the blacks". I think the prefered term these days is "person of colour", which is bizarre considering how upset people get about "coloured person".
I think you guys are obsessing over this than I'm guessing most "typical" liberals do. I agree there are some silly examples of "PC GONE MAD" by a minority of people, but its pretty small beer in the grand scheme of things, and we should just focus on pushing for equal rights where appropriate and standing up against genuine discrimination.

Its most typically things you read or hear about, and for some I can tell it irks them, but does it really impact their life? There are far less trivial examples where "political correctness" will be causing genuine problems, so by all means this is where it should be challenged, and I'm sure many including myself would agree on. Its not always an ugly phrase/movement though ("Political Correctness"), as it has surely contributed to many positive changes in society that has improved the lives of those previously discriminated against (or at least reduced discrimination) and helped educate and enlighten many who found it previously normal/acceptable to mock homosexuals or people who look/sound different. It continues to make progress (perhaps at a slower rate, granted, as we have come a long way in this country). So lets not entirely knock it, even if it occasionally frustrates some people.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:So lets not entirely knock it, even if it occasionally frustrates some people.
Still using that "lets do what I say" thing, eh? Do you think it's ever going to work? :lol:
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Looks like he is being a N*gger again.............

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:25 pm

The Beans wrote:
Still using that "lets do what I say" thing, eh? Do you think it's ever going to work? :lol:
Nope, was more of a conciliatory message about looking at the positives of political correctness.

I can be bossy though for sure. Come on Beansie, give us a big hug. :twisted:
DPrinny wrote:Looks like he is being a N*gger again.............
Who YOU calling a nagger?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Lets face it, the people who do this are are idiots looking for attention. Even worse is that because shops like Primark are so scared of offending anyone in this overly PC period we have at the moment, they remove the shirts and apologise despite having done nothing wrong.

Then the people who got offended by something that no-one else did, feel all empowered and important and go off to find the next thing to be offended about.

Its funny because anyone genuinely concerned about discrimination and racism should be fuming about this as it makes a joke out of the whole thing and actual incidents get ignored because of all the pathetic incidents like this one overshadowing everything.

Why is it never ever the actual people who these things a re supposedly offending take issue, its always someone on their behalf. Like someone else said, it makes you wonder about just how they see the world when they can be offended by something that is supposedly aimed at black people, yet black people themselves never saw the problem.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:14 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Its funny because anyone genuinely concerned about discrimination and racism should be fuming about this as it makes a joke out of the whole thing and actual incidents get ignored because of all the pathetic incidents like this one overshadowing everything.
Completely agree, which is why there are certain types on the right who LOOOOOVE stories like this, so they can bring it up at every available opportunity as a stick to beat that barmy PC brigade with.

Because obviously everyone concerned about racism and holds EXACTLY the same views as these 2 misguided fools. :roll:
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:26 am

the_hawk wrote:
Because obviously everyone concerned about racism and holds EXACTLY the same views as these 2 misguided fools. :roll:
Indeed. Does anyone on here actually share their view? I suppose if we were being super-critical, our resident alt-righters on here could label oli_lar as some form of "apologist" for the complainants in this article, but that would be disingenuous as he is just giving a bit more context (that the article neglected), and doesn't appear to share the actual opinion on the incident with them. He has just put across a reasonable, fair and balanced assessment of it rather than immediately reaching for the pitchforks. We are calling them fools/morons (i think most of us have, including myself admittedly...with some loose caveats!) based purely on how the article and twitter responses (that the article reported specifically) framed them, along with Primarks decision to remove the item from stores.

I'm not saying this couple are "redeemed", but should they end up receiving genuine hate, death threats, incessant abuse and trolling - then their mere complaint pales into almost insignificance. Not every seemingly daft action requires an overreaction.

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:16 am

If I were to talk about "black singers" or "black music", would that make me a racist tw@t?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:21 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
the_hawk wrote:
Indeed. Does anyone on here actually share their view? I suppose if we were being super-critical, our resident alt-righters on here could label oli_lar as some form of "apologist" for the complainants in this article, but that would be disingenuous as he is just giving a bit more context (that the article neglected), and doesn't appear to share the actual opinion on the incident with them. He has just put across a reasonable, fair and balanced assessment of it rather than immediately reaching for the pitchforks. We are calling them fools/morons (i think most of us have, including myself admittedly...with some loose caveats!) based purely on how the article and twitter responses (that the article reported specifically) framed them, along with Primarks decision to remove the item from stores.
There are no resident alt-righters posting on this forum and nobody has accused anybody of being an apologist. Thanks for trying to create a situation that doesn't exist though.

For the record, the person who made the complaint can be legitimately called a fool because, as oli lar pointed out, he acted in total ignorance. There was no attempt to assertain contex, no self checking at all. He saw something, was offended, assumed other people would be offended and then acted.

Which is the standard modus operandi of the majority of the so called "PC brigade" rather than a small minority of them.

And Primark indulged the complaint because they know the world is now full of self-righteous white knight crusaders who shout long and loud whenever they feel aggrieved on somebody else's behalf.

The guy doesn't deserve death threats but he's earned derision. All this stuff should be derided imo. The politically correct agenda was only credible as one that would lead to a more open world of equality, fairness and respect for all of five minutes before it descended into an accusatory movement of oppression, policing, censorship and guilt shaming. And I'm not talking about the fringes here. A light should be shone on shitness like this in the same way we should be pointing our torches into the dark corners of racism.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.