Is this racist

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Is this racist

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:37 pm

or are Ian and Gwen just a pair of attention seeking cretins? who have that very modern disease of taking offence on behalf of others:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... ad-t-shirt

DPrinny

Re: Is this racist

Post by DPrinny » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:11 pm

I dont get it, whats racist about it?

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:31 pm

DPrinny wrote:I dont get it, whats racist about it?
Absolutely nothing at all.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:36 pm

necronom wrote:
DPrinny wrote:I dont get it, whats racist about it?
Absolutely nothing at all.
Oh wait

BLACK WRITING ON A WHITE T-SHIRT!!

ITS LIKE THE DARK SKINNED ONES ARE SURROUNDED BY THE WHITES,
THIS T-SHIRT SCREAMS OPPRESSION!!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:15 pm

Of course it bloody isn't.

It does give the frothing right something to get het up about & undermine grievances about instances that are actually racist.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:20 pm

I see nothing racist about it... as already said it seems like modern twaddle... or the loony left seeing racism in everything from wanting controlled immigration to Walking Dead T-Shirts.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:45 pm

gman72 wrote:I see nothing racist about it... as already said it seems like modern twaddle... or the loony left seeing racism in everything from wanting controlled immigration to Walking Dead T-Shirts.
I find some of the motivations behind "controlled immigration" in relation to the EU to be sometimes racist at worst, often ignorant, but mainly just misguided and distorted perceptions of reality more commonly. The former is unfortunately an issue and what is likely to be contributing to a rise in hate-crimes, that we shouldn't pretend doesn't exist and be distracted from, by daft trivial political-correctness toss/news fillers on a slow day.

And yea, of course the t-shirt isn't racist and if this couple are for real, then they are clearly morons and attention seekers. I say this as one of the torch bearing lefty-liberal-social justice warriors etc etc on this forum. There are far more important issues and problems in this world to get worked up over though than these two clowns. In fact, Primark could make a fortune in shifting this stock of t-shirts to alt-right wing nutters with this bit of publicity!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Obviously its all about the n-word you get to if you continue with certain versions of the rhyme. Remember the gimp scene in Pulp Fiction? I'm pretty sure we all got the impression that Zed was a racist from it, but then again he didn't just stop after the first line. And neither did Jeremy Clarkson, although at least he tried to obfuscate by mumbling.

Negan, of course, goes on to say "tiger". So, violent survivalist nutjob he may be, but at least he's not racist.

Context is everything, as they say...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:42 am

Its always been "catch a spider by the toe" well thats the way its been said for year round my end

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:06 am

It was the N-word when I first heard the rhyme. Cue very young and impressionable me asking what an "N" was.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:00 am

There's a program on tonight about this sort of thing:

POLITICAL: Has Political Correctness Gone Mad?
On: Channel 4 (104/143)
Date: Thursday 23rd February 2017 (starting in 5 hours and 1 minute)
Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long)

In a powerful and provocative authored film, Trevor Phillips investigates the liberal urge to protect minorities from offence by gagging so-called populists and concludes that for liberals it's backfired. The backlash has stirred the Trump-Farage-led revolt - and even alienated the minorities whom liberals claim to champion. From the sacking of a Nobel scientist for a politically incorrect joke to the banning of sombreros on campus, the liberal elite's unwritten rules about what you can or can't say risk becoming not only ridiculous but self-defeating. For Trevor, the acid test of a democracy is whether it truly encourages the airing of different opinions whatever they might be - a test that Britain seems in danger of failing.
(Subtitles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=6193

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:57 am

Mayhem wrote:It was the N-word when I first heard the rhyme. Cue very young and impressionable me asking what an "N" was.
Nonce?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:38 pm

First comment on that article hits the nail on the head:
"If you find this t shirt 'racist' you're part of the problem"
The store should have just left it on sale and not crumbled beneath one ridiculous complaint. The 'racist' version of that rhyme isn't even the original or more used version anyway so I don't see why the complaint describes the rhyme on the shirt as having a "racist origin".

As for the 'n' word, that's another load of BS. Blacks call it each other and it's fine but if a white person uses the term, it's suddenly racist. Rules being made up as they go along.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:59 pm

Megamixer wrote:
The store should have just left it on sale and not crumbled beneath one ridiculous complaint. The 'racist' version of that rhyme isn't even the original or more used version anyway so I don't see why the complaint describes the rhyme on the shirt as having a "racist origin".
Primark were foolish, although maybe they thought it would create a bit of publicity and free marketing. Who knows. The one positive is that at least it was just one complaint (i believe it was only one, well one complaint made by some bored couple).

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:01 pm

The complainants are fucking idiots. That's all it boils down to.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)