Formula 1 2017 thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Formula 1 2017 thread

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:At last - McLaren have dumped Honda for next year! YES! :lol: :D They have given the Honda engines to Sauber. McLaren are going back to Mercedes engines. Should never have left them in the first place.

It all comes a bit late for Mr. Alonso. I was watching Eddie Jordan's piece on Channel 4, and he reckons that Alonso will be off to Renault for 2018.
Where is this? Can't find it on any of the sports or F1 news sites.

They'll still never win with Merc engines because - as Eric Boullier said at the start of the Honda partnership - it's impossible for a customer team to challenge for the title in modern F1. Winning the odd race here and there won't satisfy McLaren but the Merc works team won't allow themselves to be upstaged.
It was in Eddie Jordan's piece on McLaren on the Channel 4 feed. I may have jumped the gun some what - as I think it's still a rumour. Toto Wolff gave a rather cryptic interview to them.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:32 am

Great result for Bottas and the Bottas/Vettel duel was great towards the end BUT otherwise, a pretty appalling 'spectacle' from a viewing perspective. I genuinely don't think that there was a single on-track overtake was there?!? It was all in the pits or cars passing traffic. Bloody hell.

It more interesting seeing Putin arrive.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:16 am

Wow. Bottas for the win! Who predicted that? Well done Bottas! He shamed Lewis today - I bet he'll be happy with that! :lol:

Otherwise - quite an uneventful race - apart from the start and finish.
Megamixer wrote:Great result for Bottas and the Bottas/Vettel duel was great towards the end BUT otherwise, a pretty appalling 'spectacle' from a viewing perspective. I genuinely don't think that there was a single on-track overtake was there?!? It was all in the pits or cars passing traffic. Bloody hell.

It more interesting seeing Putin arrive.
I think Bottas overtook Vettel. That's about it. If I missed any else - I'm sorry.

Putin and Bernie - the two dictators together.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Great start and first 2 corners. The rest of the race was almost painful to watch. Hamilton on the radio moaning endlessly all race, 3 to 4 seconds gap between EVERY FECKING CAR for pretty much the whole race, only overtaking was done in the pits and the only viable possible overtake was destroyed by Massa.
As a race I'd give it 1/10
As a result for Bottas running rings around Hamilton I'd give it 10/10 :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat May 13, 2017 10:25 am

Viva Espania! Get ready for a bullfight - maybe even a Red Bull fight! :lol: Doubtful. Anyway, Lewis got another pole(one off Senna and four off Schumi's records). Looks like it is going to be a Mercedes walkover tomorrow. Let's hope they don't take each other out like last year! :lol: I suspect the race will be another snooze fest.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:35 am

Katzkatz wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 10:25 am
Viva Espania! Get ready for a bullfight - maybe even a Red Bull fight! :lol: Doubtful. Anyway, Lewis got another pole(one off Senna and four off Schumi's records). Looks like it is going to be a Mercedes walkover tomorrow. Let's hope they don't take each other out like last year! :lol: I suspect the race will be another snooze fest.
How did you figure that its going to be a Mercedes walkover?! Vettel was half a tenth down on pole!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat May 13, 2017 5:08 pm

The race had better be good tomorrow as today I have watched far to much open wheel racing and am almost sick of it:

- F1 qualifying
- Formula 2 feature race
- GP3 race 1
- Formula E race, Monaco
- IndyCar race, GP of Indianapolis

:lol: :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat May 13, 2017 10:51 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 10:35 am
Katzkatz wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 10:25 am
How did you figure that its going to be a Mercedes walkover?! Vettel was half a tenth down on pole!
Their "new parts". Well - that and it's very difficult to overtake in Spain. The start might be interesting. That's my feeling anyway.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Actually as Spanish Grand Prix go - that was perhaps a bit more interesting than previous ones. I didn't think that Lewis would be able to come back from falling behind Vettel at the start - but he managed it. Only 6 points between Lewis and Vettel. Good stuff - as it keeps things close. Shame their teammates didn't finish!

Next stop - Monaco. Jenson time. :D

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat May 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Currently watching the Spanish rookie go 3rd quickest in the first qualifying session of the Indy 500.

:shock: :shock:

Pretty amazing for a first ever attempt. I wonder, what are the chances of him walking from McLaren and joining IndyCar before Canada??
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat May 20, 2017 9:23 pm

He ended up 7th and in the super shoot-out Sunday afternoon! Not bad going...

Nasty crash for Sebastien Bourdais as he suffered "multiple fractures to his pelvis and a fracture to his right hip" and is undergoing surgery. Hut the wall with an almighty bang at over 200mph :shock:

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun May 21, 2017 7:18 am

markopoloman wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 9:23 pm
He ended up 7th and in the super shoot-out Sunday afternoon! Not bad going...

Nasty crash for Sebastien Bourdais as he suffered "multiple fractures to his pelvis and a fracture to his right hip" and is undergoing surgery. Hut the wall with an almighty bang at over 200mph :shock:
Ouch, went to bed after the show, didn't know how bad it was.

Still, Alonso has a chance of pole.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun May 21, 2017 7:52 pm

Not too shabby... Alonso qualified 5th! Goes to show what a wasted talent he is in the McLaren.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon May 22, 2017 8:06 am

markopoloman wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 7:52 pm
Not too shabby... Alonso qualified 5th! Goes to show what a wasted talent he is in the McLaren.
Indeed. I still think he's probably the best all round driver in F1 - and he certainly should have got at least one more title to his name - but sadly it just didn't happen.

Anyway, let us hope they he does well at Indy.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat May 27, 2017 9:04 am

Wow! Kimi got pole! :o :shock: :D Well done. Now for a Monaco win from him. Elsewhere - oh dear Lewis.