Formula 1 2017 thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Formula 1 2017 thread

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:55 pm

markopoloman wrote:Great news... lets see Jenson get a Monaco drive!
I was just thinking - Monaco is probably the only place where the Honda engine stands a chance of scoring any points at this moment! :lol: :roll:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:22 am

Katzkatz wrote:
I was just thinking - Monaco is probably the only place where the Honda engine stands a chance of scoring any points at this moment! :lol: :roll:
The other rumoured possibility is that Nico Rosberg gets the seat for Monaco for a local cameo role!

But surely Button is best bet.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:05 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:
The other rumoured possibility is that Nico Rosberg gets the seat for Monaco for a local cameo role!

But surely Button is best bet.
@Sep - It is not 100% certain, but it looks likely that your wish could come true, take a look at the following :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39589767

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:36 pm

Will Alonso even see out the remainder of the year for McLaren? Bloody good chance he won't with how bad the Honda power unit is.

Bet he cannot believe his luck with the string of under performing cars he's had in F1. Shame a driver of his caliber has not been able to shine. Even though there have been times where he's got a car to the finish in a position a lot higher than it should of been in.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:27 am

silvergunner wrote:Will Alonso even see out the remainder of the year for McLaren? Bloody good chance he won't with how bad the Honda power unit is.

Bet he cannot believe his luck with the string of under performing cars he's had in F1. Shame a driver of his caliber has not been able to shine. Even though there have been times where he's got a car to the finish in a position a lot higher than it should of been in.
Yeah, it is a shame. I think he's probably the best driver in F1 for all round performance. Just remembering his back-to-back titles wins with Renault - and his fights with Schumi and Kimi. The guy is clearly very talented. Unfortunately, it all started to go wrong when he joined McLaren the first time around - he had a certain Mr. L. Hamilton as his teammate. Alonso actually drove well that year - he only narrowly missed out on the title. Then it was Renault again - and the rather surprise Singapore win(make of that what you will). He had two near misses at the WDC with Ferrari. I think he probably does deserve more that the two titles that he has already won. Martin Brundle said that he really focused on F1 for next year - apparently, there's going to be some big jump in the Honda's performance - seeing is believing.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:45 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
silvergunner wrote:Will Alonso even see out the remainder of the year for McLaren? Bloody good chance he won't with how bad the Honda power unit is.

Yeah, it is a shame. I think he's probably the best driver in F1 for all round performance. Just remembering his back-to-back titles wins with Renault - and his fights with Schumi and Kimi. The guy is clearly very talented. Unfortunately, it all started to go wrong when he joined McLaren the first time around - he had a certain Mr. L. Hamilton as his teammate. Alonso actually drove well that year - he only narrowly missed out on the title. Then it was Renault again - and the rather surprise Singapore win(make of that what you will). He had two near misses at the WDC with Ferrari. I think he probably does deserve more that the two titles that he has already won. Martin Brundle said that he really focused on F1 for next year - apparently, there's going to be some big jump in the Honda's performance - seeing is believing.
They said the same last year regarding the engine, so I certainly won't believe it till it happens.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:36 am

I entirely believe that McLaren will have a much more competitive engine in 2018... because it'll be a Mercedes one! :lol:

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:07 pm

Wow. First pole for Bottas. He could possibly take his first win tomorrow. The Ferraris were a bit disappointing after all their performances in free practises; however, I think they'll be strong in the actual race.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:02 pm

yeah well done valtteri bottas there

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Forza Ferrari! Fingerman did it again! Enjoy it, Hiro? :lol: A good win there for Vettel. Vettel takes the lead in the WDC and Ferrari take the lead in the WCC. It does seem like it's going to be a Hamilton versus Vettel battle all season long - with Bottas and Kimi playing second fiddle to their teammates. Not that exciting a race.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:40 pm

The McLaren is dreadful and Alonso is being wasted there! They should have got him in the Merc. At least his radio was entertaining during this race :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Well, my Retro League teams were certainly happy!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:45 pm

More classic Kimi on the radio in FP2 today!

"There's a bloke standing in front of my car and I don't know why...MOVE!"

:lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:36 am

At last - McLaren have dumped Honda for next year! YES! :lol: :D They have given the Honda engines to Sauber. McLaren are going back to Mercedes engines. Should never have left them in the first place.

It all comes a bit late for Mr. Alonso. I was watching Eddie Jordan's piece on Channel 4, and he reckons that Alonso will be off to Renault for 2018.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Katzkatz wrote:At last - McLaren have dumped Honda for next year! YES! :lol: :D They have given the Honda engines to Sauber. McLaren are going back to Mercedes engines. Should never have left them in the first place.

It all comes a bit late for Mr. Alonso. I was watching Eddie Jordan's piece on Channel 4, and he reckons that Alonso will be off to Renault for 2018.
Where is this? Can't find it on any of the sports or F1 news sites.

They'll still never win with Merc engines because - as Eric Boullier said at the start of the Honda partnership - it's impossible for a customer team to challenge for the title in modern F1. Winning the odd race here and there won't satisfy McLaren but the Merc works team won't allow themselves to be upstaged.