Formula 1 2017 thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Formula 1 2017 thread

Post by Katzkatz » Sun May 28, 2017 10:25 am

Kimi didn't win. :roll: Oh well. I suppose Lewis had a save here today.

Next stop - Canada. Get that maple syrup ready.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun May 28, 2017 12:10 pm

Motor racing day!!

- Monaco GP, I hate this race, it's all hype and money but very little action, glad Lewis got some points.

- Currently watching Weekend of a Champion, have never heard of this before but I love 1970s F1 and it's a fascinating. It was on Channel 4 this morning so may be on catch up.

- Indy 500, come on Fernando (or Montoya, or the brits Chilton, Howard, Harvey & Mann)
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun May 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Disclaimer: I do not want to see anyone hurt.

Wehrlein's crash today was the most dramatic thing about the race, dunno what the speed was but guess it was less than 100 mph (looked about 25!!). He was unhurt but I would have been surprised if he was at that speed.

Scott Dixon's crash just now at the Indy 500 was 200+ mph and more exciting than the whole F1 season so far (and I do love F1, by the way) - and he walked away :shock:

I guess I'm trying to make 2 points here:

1. IndyCar is often good, sometimes fantastic and occasionally dull & predictable. Its not just a boring procession of cars going around in circles and there are plenty of drivers who can win each race, especially as there are track, street and oval courses during the season.

2. F1 is often dull & predictable, sometimes good and occasionally fantastic. Everyone is saying how amazing it is that 2 teams are challenging this season as if that's a special treat for us fans. It should have 3-4 teams in contention, at least.

Rant over :lol: :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun May 28, 2017 2:43 pm

I'm also watching the Indy. It's the first time I've ever seen it and nice to see a few familiar names, and some women drivers. Lots of crashes to far, but the worst thing by FAR is the horrendous US TV feed we are being subjected to. They have adverts every 3 minutes, daft dramatic music playing, cameras that are sponsored by companies ("let's go to the <company name> camera" - Really?), and the commentators are really annoying.

And they actually had a truck driving round at the beginning pulling a MASSIVE US flag behind it. FFS, give it a rest. I'm surprised the commentators didn't start chanting "USA" at us.

If I moved to the US I think I'd commit suicide if that's how their TV is.

Anyway, great to see Max Chilton was leading for a while, and Alonso is doing well and has been the leader a few times.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun May 28, 2017 3:25 pm

necronom wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 2:43 pm
They have adverts every 3 minutes
Agree with what you say, it's typically crappy American sport(s!) coverage. As everything but the drivers a-hole is sponsored by something you would think they could avoid adverts!

Normally, ESPN / BT Sport don't have ad breaks during the race (unless there's a long yellow) but for some reason they are this time - annoying, I and many others pay more than enough to BT :roll:

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun May 28, 2017 3:41 pm

We only get about one advert for every three or four they get, so it's not so bad for us. Oh, another crash. I've lost count. And can I just say "COME ON MAX!!!!" :D :D
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun May 28, 2017 3:53 pm

necronom wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 3:41 pm
We only get about one advert for every three or four they get, so it's not so bad for us. Oh, another crash. I've lost count. And can I just say "COME ON MAX!!!!" :D :D
Shame for Alonso, amazing drive considering he has zero experience of IndyCar and the oval tracks, ironic that a Honda engine ruined it - he should seriously consider a move to Indy for next season.

Come on Chilton!!

But more than happy with a Sato win, cracking last 5 laps

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun May 28, 2017 5:36 pm

It was disappointing the Alonso's engine blew, and Max lost the lead, but was good to see him get 4th.

And what was going on at the end!? The winner gets out the can and they get some girl to kiss him, then give him a bottle of milk :lol: No podium, no trophies. The American commentator said "He's wearing the wreath. He's got the milk." At that point I burst out laughing.

I was hoping to see the points table, but it wasn't shown. I couldn't see how the points are given, either, though Max seems to be 13th overall now.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun May 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Not the best return for Jenson... :roll: very dull show, typical Monaco race, the most exciting part was Kimi's overwhelming joy on the podium :mrgreen:

But, at the end of the day... forza Ferrari! :D

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 29, 2017 6:06 pm

Was not happy with the result as I wanted the Iceman to win and this would have been his best chance. Pretty sure Ferrari did those pitstops the way they did to get Vettel in front without having to resort to a team orders fiasco. Hard to tell afterwards whether Vettel really had that much extra speed over Kimi or whether Kimi had just thought "censored it now, there's no point" and backed off as he really pulled away in the first part of the race.

A few really embarassing crashes at the first corner (especially Ericsson!) and what Perez was moaning about after that insanely optimistic up-the-inside attempt, I don't know :roll:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:27 pm

It was Lewis all weekend. 65th pole equaling Senna, and he also got a present from the Senna family of one of his old helmets. Dominant weekend from him.

Good save from Vettel. Good overtaking moves.

I bet the Force India drivers were happy. :lol: Good racing from them, but they probably could have been on the podium.

Quite a decent race - not outstanding, but decent enough.

Next stop - Azerbaijan.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Captain Jean-Luc Picard also got drink from "the shoe". It's a pity that it wasn't "Earl Grey Hot". :lol:

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:14 am

Baku time. Sort of reminds me of Detroit. Don't you guys think? In its layout. Seems difficult to race on - so it could be processional.

In other news, next year there's going to be 21 races! The most there has ever been! Also, the French Grand Prix is back! That's the trouble with the French, they have no word for Grand Prix. :lol: It's back at Paul Ricard. The last time that was used was 1990. It's an interesting track - I don't think it's quite a classic like Suzuka or Spa, but it's better than Magny-Cors. Be good to see it back. Plus, we do have Renault in F1 - so it's nice to go with the French on that as well.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:26 am

"Oh Danny Boy, for you the lights of Baku are shining!" - Danny "the smile" Riccardio won in Baku from 10th. Quite an eventful race. Vettel scored more points than Lewis - so that's widening the gap now. I sort of wanted to see that come down, to keep things close. Good sneaky overtake right at the end there for Bottas! Well done to Williams and Lance Stroll as well.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:50 am

Looks like I'm the only one keeping this thread going. Hurray for Bottas and his second win. Poor Lewis - he wasn't strong all weekend. Good result for Danny Boy and his shoe! Not so good for Max. Vettel still leads - I do hope the gap stays close between himself and Hamilton. Superb performance from the McLarens - NOT! :lol: Dump that engine - please!

Next stop - Sillystone. Can Lewis win in front of the home crowd? Here's hoping, as he can maybe close the lead for the WDC.