Blade Runner 2049 Trailer

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Blade Runner 2049 Trailer

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:51 am

Well, okay I do have my reservations about having a sequel to such an iconic film, but here's a trailer :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_JAMRKzEHs

TheDude18

Re: Blade Runner 2049 Trailer

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:49 am

[Before Trailer] No, no, no. I adore Blade Runner, it is perfect. Leave it well all alone. The ambiguous ending should be left as is. Ambiguous and open to interpretation.
[After Trailer] Hmmmmmm. From the slither of footage we have seen I'm loving the look of the film, its tone, the music and so on. Still sceptical though. And is Deckard a Replicant?

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:33 am

Remember Prometheus...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:38 am

Let's hope it's a Martian and not a Prometheus. Ridley Scott's output is erratic, so it'll be either great or middling. Trailer does look and feel like Blade Runner of old, so fingers crossed.

From that brief scene, I'd suggest they've gone with Deckard as replicant (I think that's the preferred option from Ridley), though it's possible he's just protecting Rachel assuming they're still together. Or he might just be protecting himself from a perceived home invasion.

Here's hoping there's a new Pris on the go, almost worth watching the original just for her scenes alone.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:48 am

From what I remember of the books (which were sequels to the film, not the original book) Deckard does indeed 'grow old' while he preserves Rachel and only lets her out of her sleeping chamber on special occasions (due to her limited lifespan) While an army of Roy Battys are after them.

Note - Its been a long time since I read the books and there are several sequels, so my memory is hazy at best. I mean I cant even remember what I watched on TV last night!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:22 am

I thought Rachel didn't have an expiry date like the others?
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:27 am

The Plot for Blade Runner 2: Edge of Human (according to Wiki)

"Beginning several months after the events in Blade Runner, Deckard has retired to an isolated shack outside the city, taking the replicant Rachael with him in a Tyrell transport container, which slows down the replicant aging process. He is approached by a woman who explains she is Sarah Tyrell, niece of Eldon Tyrell, heiress to the entire Tyrell Corporation and the human template (templant) for the Rachael replicant. She asks Deckard to hunt down the "missing" sixth replicant. At the same time, the human template for Roy Batty hires Dave Holden, the blade runner attacked by Leon, to help him hunt down the man he believes is the sixth replicant - Deckard.

Deckard and Holden's investigations lead them to re-visit Sebastian, Bryant, and John Isidore (from the book Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?), learning more about the nature of the blade runners and the replicants.

When Deckard, Batty, and Holden finally clash, Batty's inhuman fighting prowess leads Holden to believe he has been duped all along and that Batty is the sixth replicant; he shoots him. Deckard returns to Sarah with his suspicion: there is no sixth replicant. Sarah, speaking via a remote camera, confesses that she created and maintained the rumor herself, to deliberately discredit and eventually destroy the Tyrell Corporation, after her uncle Eldon created Rachael based on her and then abandoned the real Sarah. Sarah brings Rachael back to the Corporation building to meet with Deckard, and he escapes with her.

However, Holden - recovering from his injuries during the fight - later finds the truth: Rachael has been killed by Tyrell agents, and the "Rachael" who escaped with Deckard was actually Sarah. She has completed her revenge by both destroying Tyrell, and taking back Rachael's place."

The books used the sixth replicant flub in the original version of the film as a plot point and ran with it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:10 pm

As I thought, looking up a Blade Runner wiki:
Wiki wrote:In the original theatrical edition of the film, Deckard's voice over as they drive north suggests that she may have a longer lifespan than any of the other Nexus-6s that were created.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:21 pm

I suppose it depends a lot on which version of the original film they follow. The book sequel seems to follow the international cut, while the new film could possibly follow the final or Director's cuts.
It will be interesting to see on which version they do follow as (IMO) the international cut Deckard is a Human while in the Final (and Director's) cut he is a Replicant. I cant quite remember the Workprint/Sneek peek versions!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:39 pm

None of them explicitly state Deckard is a replicant iirc, it's just hinted at with stuff like his dreams of unicorns being reflected in Gaff's foil sculpture.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:19 pm

Ill watch it at the cinema as the trailer dont make it look s**te
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:09 am

Blade Runner is one of my all time favourite films, can't wait for this.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:25 pm

I love Blade Runner, this trailer well. Lets wait and see on the film
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 pm

TheDude18 wrote:[After Trailer] Hmmmmmm. From the slither of footage we have seen I'm loving the look of the film, its tone, the music and so on. Still sceptical though. And is Deckard a Replicant?
I guess not, if he's that old - don't replicants have a short lifespan of something like 4-6 years.

Unless Ford is playing the real Deckard whom the replicant was based on, perhaps?

I guess we won't know until we see it. I just hope it isn't another Prometheus, that was a dire film. Blade Runner is probably my all-time favourite but it's scary how much a crap sequel or prequel can taint a classic (i.e. Star Wars).
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:50 pm

I was a bit skeptical and at the same time excited that finally a Bladerunner 2 movie is being made. On the whole the film looks like a typical Hollywood run and gun movie and no where near the art house movie that the original was. I was also disappointed that Vangelis didn't return to do the music - you could watch the movie without the dialogue and listen to the soundtrack and still be moved. Still I am happy that we've got a sequel even if it should have been made in the late 80's/early 90's. From the short films and the preview clips it looks like it's going to deliver and not be a disappointing failure that I first thought it might have been. Looking forward to it - it's going to be the best film this year! :D
Last edited by Doddsy on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.