The Mummy (2017) Trailer

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

The Mummy (2017) Trailer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjHgzkQM2Sg

The latest in a long line of "what's the point in remaking something that wasn't that old?" but no, it's actually a sort-of remake of the older, classic Universal 'Mummy' films...except it looks like crap! Explosions, guns, London being attacked, Tom Cruise running...all the usual cliched stuff you'd expect.

I actually thought it looked okay during the plane crash sequence but then the rest looks extremely 'meh'.

Still, at least ITV show the The Mummy and The Mummy Returns every other flippin' day!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Re: The Mummy (2017) Trailer

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:08 am

REBOOT EVERYTHING!!!

But not Reboot

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:50 pm

I likey lookey.

Eat your nans pants

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Looked ok, I wouldn't go out of my way to see it unless the reviews are really good.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:31 pm

I want to see what they do with the rest of the Universal Monsters stuff, I was never a fan of the Mummy.
Splink!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:06 am

felgekarp wrote:I want to see what they do with the rest of the Universal Monsters stuff, I was never a fan of the Mummy.
Well they did that Frankenstein film last year, so thats the copyrights for him saved with something forgettable

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:59 am

Hey, can't be as bad as the 3rd film in the last reboot series. As silly as that series of films can be sometimes, something about high five-ing yetis seems pretty stupid to me among other reasons. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:10 pm

Maybe if there were going to reboot a lot of these classic horror films, then I would take it back to a more serious darker tone?

But, I tend to agree that a lot of reboots are really just a waste of time. I think Michael Caine said it best recently, that you should only try re-making a failed film and make the reboot better - not re do a classic.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:47 am

I quite liked Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, with the big skeleton army scrap at the end.

It bugs me this labelling of things as a 'trilogy' though, just because there happens to be three films. It's all over the place on Christmas special DVD bundle packs. Apparently that awful alien-world Predator film is now the third in 'the trilogy'. It's not like it's planned that way or makes a coherent story. It's like SKY boasting they're showing 'the complete saga' of Star Wars when the last film they've just bought the rights to show is blatantly NOT the last one there's going to be.

The whole 'Universal Monsters' concept is a rather pathetic attempt to build a licensing brand around some terrible old movies. It's an even worse idea than DC's desperate attempts to keep up with Marvel's 'Avengers' movies by resurrecting the ridiculous 'Justice League' stories. What's next, a 'Legion of Super-Pets' movie?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:02 am

joefish wrote:SKY boasting they're showing 'the complete saga' of Star Wars when the last film they've just bought the rights to show is blatantly NOT the last one there's going to be.
Are they showing The Clone Wars animated movie that sits between Episodes 2 & 3? And the two Ewok movies?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:01 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
joefish wrote:SKY boasting they're showing 'the complete saga' of Star Wars when the last film they've just bought the rights to show is blatantly NOT the last one there's going to be.
Are they showing The Clone Wars animated movie that sits between Episodes 2 & 3? And the two Ewok movies?
And the holiday special. It's even the right time of year. I oddly do like that one!

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:36 pm

The Ewok movies are just fairy-stories. In reality the Ewok race was wiped out by the radiation and rains of debris that started in the months following the destruction of the second Death Star. They renounced C3PO and stopped eating human flesh, but it was too little, too late.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Carrot007 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
And the holiday special. It's even the right time of year. I oddly do like that one!
The Holiday Special isn't a movie though. The others had proper cinema releases.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dste

Post by dste » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:45 pm

Watched the trailer, just looks like pretty much every predictable blockbuster these days.

It does have the potential to have more going for it with it being a new movie universe.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

dste

Post by dste » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:17 pm

Did anyone see the messed up IMAX trailer today?

Was rather humourous.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!