The Annual Christmas Film Thread!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

resident paul

Re: The Annual Christmas Film Thread!

Post by resident paul » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:22 pm

You got for Christmas films for the likes of Die Hard 1 & 2, Lethal Weapon, Batman Returns, Ghostbusters 2, Home Alone 1 & 2 + The Wizard of Oz

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Jingle All the Way is the best one for me. It's the postman rival that I find the funniest though:

"I work for the Post Office so you KNOW I'm crazy!"
"That was really a bomb? What a sick world we live in!"

:lol:

That and Muppet's Christmas Carol. I watched It's A Wonderful Life for the first time the other year and despite not really being into (but having nothing against them) such old films, I quite liked it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:47 pm

Krampus - I watched this a few weeks ago. It's set at Xmas and features "Krampus"(he's from German folklore and comes along at Xmas). Very much in the vain of the original Gremlins.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:25 pm

The one film (albeit a short film) is Jim Henson's The Christmas Toy. I have watched it pretty much every year since I was a nipper.
Going Solo...................

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Bizarrely, my grandaughter named her Christmas elf 'pomp pomp pomp pomp' last year and it's stuck through to this year. Wonder if she's seen The Great Escape?

I might try her with Gremlins. Not sure if she's old enough at 3, but she adores Labyrinth following a random showing I gave one weekend. She's not quite sure how to deal with scary stuff - she's glued to it, declares she doesn't like it later, but then wants to watch again.

C64 Labyrinth is a brilliant version of the film with big bold graphics (when you get into the game proper that is). 3 is a bit young, but she may enjoy watching YOU play it.

As for Christmas films, surely ESB counts? Also for some reason (probably because it always seemed to be on Christmas Day) I see Casablanca as a Christmas film, and it's a brill film.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Not just at Christmas but, for me at any rate, any time of year. The Best Film of All Time just has to be watched. It's a Wonderful Life. Stupendous. And always a few tears at the end. Brilliant acting, fab script, and, but for the early 'Heavens' scene (which was extremely poor even in its day), the effects are spot on. Life wouldn't be the same without this movie.

Other worthy movies for and of the season:

Trading Places - fabulous fun
Gremlins - see above
Die Hard - see above
Scrooged - see above [I see a pattern forming here!]
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - er, yeah, ok; same as above

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:26 pm

The Thing

It has snow in it

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:36 am

Megamixer wrote:Jingle All the Way is the best one for me. It's the postman rival that I find the funniest though:

"I work for the Post Office so you KNOW I'm crazy!"
"That was really a bomb? What a sick world we live in!"

:lol:
Hehe good call!

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:00 am

joefish wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:I might try her with Gremlins. Not sure if she's old enough at 3, but she adores Labyrinth following a random showing I gave one weekend. She's not quite sure how to deal with scary stuff - she's glued to it, declares she doesn't like it later, but then wants to watch again.
Well it was rated 15 when it was released! Depends on what you see, as like Ghostbusters, the original you get on DVD is a bit more grown-up than what's usually shown on TV. It has its gruesome bits.
As mentioned earlier, I was considering showing Gremlins to my 7 year old but I'm convinced the first time I watched Gremlins (that I can remember) some parts really did give me the creeps. Especially the 2nd act of the film when the gremlins turn after eating past midnight, attacking the towns people and so on.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:04 am

Here's another film that gets an outing during this time of the year - On Her Majesty's Secret Service! (What do you mean it's not a Christmas film?)
Arguably the best Bond film, yet being a Bond film it has no fans at home...............bar me of course!

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:11 pm

Nice to see It's A Wonderful Life get a lot of love. Not much else I can add other then I watch it twice every Xmas, once for B+W and the other for the colourization which is not half bad. The colours almost give it that sort of "Christmas Card come to live" look in some scenes.

As for others;

Mickey's Christmas Carol- Something I watched a lot as a kid, then "grew up" but as soon as I saw they put out a Blu Ray for it a few years ago, it was an instant order. Another bonus is the couple of Winter/Xmas related classic shorts they put on it like Pluto's Christmas Tree which I also watched lots as a child.

Christmas Vacation
Nightmare Before Xmas
Scrooged
Santa Claus the Movie (If merely for the "FOR FREEEEEEEE?!?" line delivery. :lol: )
Jingle All The Way

Peanuts- The trailers to the new film got me very nostalgic for classic Snoopy cartoons so I brought the Holiday Specials Collection last year. They're quite charming and a nice reminder of my youth. The film wasnt half bad either, so might pick that up eventually.

South Park Xmas Specials- If the rest are family friendly overload, then these are more then enough to balance the adult-ness. :lol: Love the Christmas Critters one as it doesnt everything you can't do in an Xmas special. :lol:

Frozen- Yeah yeah, we're all sick of the songs but oh all the Winterness of the movie. That's surly Xmas-y enough right? :lol:

How The Grinch Stole Christmas- Original cartoon, the remake can bugger off.

A Christmas Story- Seen this on a lot of American lists so gave it a go last year and its not too bad.

I normally pick up DVDs/Blu Rays to expand my Xmas collection though this year money's tight so might just stick with what I have this year.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:23 pm

DPrinny wrote:Bottom - Holy,
gold, frankenstein and grrr :lol:

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:27 pm

home alone 1 and 2

not a film but father ted christmas special

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:15 pm

flatapex wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Bottom - Holy,
gold, frankenstein and grrr :lol:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:56 pm

flatapex wrote:
not a film but father ted christmas special
Fr Ted Christmas Special - love it! Apparently, it's the largest lingerie department in Ireland. :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/