What's your favourite chocolate?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ArchaicKoala

Re: What's your favourite chocolate?

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:35 am

I don't really eat much chocolate myself these days but I do sometimes gets an itch for a Twirl or Double Decker from time to time.

hmm... thinking about it, I was always a fan of dark rum and raisin chocolate, yum yum! Might have to see if I can find some somewhere :mrgreen:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:52 am

Yorkie Raisin and Biscuit
Peanut Butter Kit Kat Chunky
Cadbury's Bourneville Old Jamaica version

Those are mine. Runner up would be Kit Kat Chunky I once had with no wafer/biscuit inside i.e. it was all solid chocolate. God Bless factory errors :)

Chocolate bars are a bit depressing nowadays though with the constant reduction on size or re-shaping + re-branding of the bar to disguise a shrinkage in content. It's inevitable really though with the increased price of cocoa beans but annoying nonetheless. Less bar for the same price or same size with a price hike? Obviously the manufacturers opt for the former.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:02 pm

Megamixer wrote:Chocolate bars are a bit depressing nowadays though with the constant reduction on size or re-shaping + re-branding of the bar to disguise a shrinkage in content. It's inevitable really though with the increased price of cocoa beans but annoying nonetheless. Less bar for the same price or same size with a price hike? Obviously the manufacturers opt for the former.
You know this is not recent thing right? It has been going on forever?

You know 'biggest bar ever' never meant bigger than ever, just we have got to the point to put the price up a penny and back to the standard size? And then Rinse with shrinkage and Repeat.

And yes the cocoa issues will hit the chocolate industry hard on price but not yet as there are stored quantities. However when it does hit the issue will be thaqt most average things go down in quality unfortunatly.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:34 pm

English Invader wrote:Snickers
This man knows what's up.

Though if we're talking just chocolate, no fillings etc, then I'm all about some Caramac.
Carrot007 wrote:Bah, useless on 2 counts.

1. Not actually having nuts in it, please put some real nuts in!
What? Mt T says there are nuts in it, are you calling Mr T a liar? I pity the fool that calls Mr T a liar.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:09 pm

Has anybody seen the new Double Decker advert? Im tempted to contact the Advertising standards - the size of the bar he is eating at the end is bigger than his hand. Theyre nowhere near big enough to be that size , they barely poke out of a clenched fist.

Im currently enjoying some Caldey Island chocolate , hand crafted by monks. Eating it out of the hollowed skulls of capuchin monkies and seasoned with the tears of GX4000 owners.
Well the first bit is true.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:27 am

Starbar
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Jimmy Corkhill

Post by Jimmy Corkhill » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:17 am

I had a cookies and cream Kit Kat Chunky last night, very nice indeed!

Any love for the Dime bar on here? or Daim bar as they now spell it.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:33 am

pratty wrote:
English Invader wrote:Though if we're talking just chocolate, no fillings etc, then I'm all about some Caramac.
Tehnically not chocolate as no cocoa, same got for "white chocolate"

Beyond that damn right!

Bring back the caramac kit kats I say! And are the caramac breakaways still around?

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:34 am

shiftytigger wrote:Has anybody seen the new Double Decker advert? Im tempted to contact the Advertising standards - the size of the bar he is eating at the end is bigger than his hand. Theyre nowhere near big enough to be that size , they barely poke out of a clenched fist.
No but they could be using smaller people so that they tecnically are not lying! Much like in all sofa adverts!

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:46 am

Sputryk wrote:Toblerone. The larger the bar the better. Pity there are no 10kg monster bars over here - found several in a Swiss airport Duty Free whilst changing flights. This was around 2010, methinks, and they cost 110 Euros. Yeah, £100 for a bar of chocolate. 'Av it! :(
WORST CHOCOLATE EVER.

Aside from that fact that it's so sweet and sickly that after two bits I want to die, it's also the biggest pain in the ass ever. It has a melting point that is so low that as soon as you touch it, it starts melting. But you have to touch it because you need to put some effort in to break off a peak. So by then it's melting and all the foil has torn up and is going in your eyes.

Awful.

For sweet shop type bars I really miss the Maverick bar. I quite like a Wispa Gold, red Bounty and most of the Galaxy things. If I had to pick one choc thing, it'd be some of the Thorntons pick and mix ones.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:00 pm

Carrot007 wrote:
pratty wrote:
English Invader wrote:Though if we're talking just chocolate, no fillings etc, then I'm all about some Caramac.
Tehnically not chocolate as no cocoa, same got for "white chocolate"

Beyond that damn right!

Bring back the caramac kit kats I say! And are the caramac breakaways still around?
White chocolate has to have at least 20% cocoa butter, so it's not totally without relation to cocoa. Caramac, on the other hand, is basically made out of condensed milk.

retromax

Post by retromax » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Dairy milk, preferably when Easter eggs are made from it :D
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:21 pm

retromax wrote:Dairy milk, preferably when Easter eggs are made from it :D
is the correct answer, maybe it's because of the curvature but Easter Egg chocolate is just superb, they should trial curved chocolate bars to see if it makes a difference.

tachi

Post by tachi » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:09 pm

I'm gonna go all manly and say my favourite choc is *ahem* Flake..it's just lush :)
Oh and Dairy Milk fruit and nut (I'm a nutahollic).
I do also add my name to the Marathon (screw Snickers) fanclub :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Quite partial to a Toffee Crisp, if straight from the fridge. And I wish they did a dark version of the Kit Kat Chunky. And again, I only like the dark Toblerone, the one in the black box.

Favourite chocolate though has to be the J.D. Gross Ecuador 70% Cocoa (dark red packet) from Lidl. There's also a rich dark chocolate with orange pieces I've found in Greece that's really good. Much better than Lindt.