PS4 hard drive upgrade problems

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MattyC64c

PS4 hard drive upgrade problems

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:43 am

Hi,

Right, I tried to upgrade my PS4 hard drive, it was an epic failure. The PlayStation Support guy says there must be a fault with my console and I either need to send it in for repair, or see if the shop will exchange it. The console was purchased in Game (UK).

Here is what I did and tried to do.

- Turned off the console completely via the console menu.
- Uplugged the machine, removed case, removed hard drive. Then removed hard drive from caddy.
- Inserted new hard drive into caddy and screwed in. Put drive back into PS4.
- Turned the machine on by holding down button to go into safe mode.
- Chose the option to re-install the System Software.
- Inserted Flash drive.

Console thinks about it for a short while, then brings up an error message "The update file can not be used. Connect a USB storage device that contains an update file version 4.00 or later" (CE-34788-0)

I've tried three different flash drives, they have all been formated to exFat - a 128GB, a 32GB and lastly a 2GB, non worked. The update file was put on there according to the update instructions USB-PS4-UPDATE-PS4UPDATE.PUP

No joy, same error message no matter what drive I used or USB port. Even tried removing the .PUP extension, still doesn't work.

So, do I really have to send it for repair? I was hoping Game would replace it, but there is no contact number for them, so the only way to know is to ask in the store, but Game being Game....

YouTube made this out to be an easy upgrade, well mine wasn't, and I build PC's so this should be 'childs play' for me.

Would do you think? Thanks in advance.

RodimusPrime

Re: PS4 hard drive upgrade problems

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:15 am

Its crazy that Sony has not given the option of just plugging in an external drive to upgrade storage.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:41 pm

Fixed

Silly me. I was downloading the 'Update' when it should have been the System Firmware download. Got it sorted now. A nice 2TB hard drive in there. Now I've got an issue with a slow download of Battlefield 4 aaagh!

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:57 pm

MattyC64c wrote:Fixed

Silly me. I was downloading the 'Update' when it should have been the System Firmware download. Got it sorted now. A nice 2TB hard drive in there. Now I've got an issue with a slow download of Battlefield 4 aaagh!

Pause and restart the download usually fixes that for me. The other option is stick it in rest mode and they seem to fly down.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:05 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Its crazy that Sony has not given the option of just plugging in an external drive to upgrade storage.
the ps4 uses usb 2.0 current gen games need to transfare data faster thus needing 3.0
This guy are sick