Who can fix my PSP?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Who can fix my PSP?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:59 pm

I'm not ready to move on to gaming tablets yet - my PSP's perfect, and up until last night it's been perfect since 2009.

Sat on the bed, went to launch the eBook reader (how has the PSP got an eBook reader that's better than anything I've tried on Android?!?), but accidentally opened the LEDA Legacy Software Loader (which was put on there in order to load older items of homebrew).

The screen went blank then for a few seconds it said it was "Flashing" with a progress bar that stopped at 0%.

Since then, every item of homebrew I've tried to open, it has the white flash "PSP" screen then the PSP shuts down after about twenty seconds. It's still running all the PSP and PS1 games I've got on there, and none of the files have gone missing from the Memory Stick, but none of the emulators or other fun bits will work now. I'm at a bit of a loss.

Custom firmware version M33 by the way :?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

DPrinny

Re: Who can fix my PSP?

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:19 am

Re flash the PSP

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:14 am

Been ages since I looked at custom firmware, but iirc there's a flash memory option in the recovery menu. Turn PSP fully off by holding the power button for 10 seconds. Turn the PSP on while holding the right shoulder button down. Recovery menu should open. Somewhere in there is a flash memory option that does something without killing everything.

A bit vague, but mine has been on same firmware for years so it just works, haven't had to mess with it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:22 am

Tried that, but no joy :(

Thanks anyway though, looks like a re-flashing is in order. It's a Slim & Lite (2000) model that I have, any idea what the best/easiest/"safest" way to go about re-flashing would be? It was seven years ago last time I did this, guessing there's been a bit of change since then!
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:52 am

This doesn't mess with your system, no Pandora battery needed it's all on the memory stick. You just have to run the file each time you want to use custom firmware. If not it runs as a normal PSP.

http://neogaf.com/fo...9&postcount=367

http://wololo.net/do...0Pro-C-fix3.zip

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:27 am

Thanks for those - each time though? I never had to do that previously :(

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:30 am

Its a newer method for later revisions that won't allow a proper flash afaik.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:51 am

Well bugger, me and my accidental-application-launching, bah.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:35 pm

Currently re-flashing... Least this means I'll get to play the PSP games I've bought since the original flashing (as in, ones that require a higher firmware - handheld Soul Calibur yes :D )

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:59 pm

Sorted :D

Even found a way to flash it permanently too:
http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/consol ... e1000.html

Doesn't work on models made after July 2008... Lucky for me HMV were selling old stock when I bought my one I suppose.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:14 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Sorted :D

Even found a way to flash it permanently too:
http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/consol ... e1000.html

Doesn't work on models made after July 2008... Lucky for me HMV were selling old stock when I bought my one I suppose.

That's what I have on mine. Maybe I didn't explain it properly but After running the update press "X" and the custom firmware will install, all been well your PSP will now be running custom firmware until you power it off.
is what it says in the text on that link I posted. Enjoy! Mines a newer one do I can't permanently do it, but it literally takes 10 seconds each time you power on.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Just happy it's working again - not having to flash it every time I turn it on's a nice bonus too :wink: