Obese people banned from routine surgery

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sephiroth81

Re: Obese people banned from routine surgery

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:15 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Tbf, SG's comment was aimed at that specific person.

I have no problem with people using the stuff as long as they don't gas out the vicinity and leave a lingering trail of odour that I have to smell for the next 10-15 minutes.

It's easy to claim that people are generalising but the fact is that 95% of people I have come into contact with who evidently use Cannabis look like thugs or straight from 'The Estate'. I'm not saying that these people are a representation of all cannabis users at all but you have to see that these types are more than just a tiny minority and give the substance a bad image.
:roll: Perhaps I should then judge every alcohol consumer based on a few blokes I see underneath a bridge in east London surrounding a burning barrel to keep warm and then come up with my own little "statistics" - that 97.5% of all alcohol consumers are tramps who usually have a scruffy dog with them and smell like they've not washed for 6 months. Its not that difficult to be selective and bias to make a point.

You're talking about around 2.5m people in the UK who identify as cannabis users. Perhaps the reality isn't as depressing as you see it, and that the majority of people you have no idea even smoke/consume it at all, but do it privately in their own space and time. You may say you've "no problem with it", but it sounds like you do have a certain attitude based on a handful of bad experiences. I would suggest you keep an open mind and not be so judgemental, just as I won't let a friday night boozed up crowd in high streets across many British towns/cities cloud my judgement on the several million (perhaps tens of millions) people who consume alcohol sensibly and without issue.

Besides, even if we take your extreme examples (of snobbery??) - surely its better that these "thugs" from down "the "Estate" are using cannabis as it will mellow them out and make them more docile. Can you imagine what they're like fuelled on 6 cans of Stella??* :wink:

*i'm being facetious, if you didn't already realise - sometimes its not always to see over a forum! :P

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:43 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
Tbf, SG's comment was aimed at that specific person.

I have no problem with people using the stuff as long as they don't gas out the vicinity and leave a lingering trail of odour that I have to smell for the next 10-15 minutes.

It's easy to claim that people are generalising but the fact is that 95% of people I have come into contact with who evidently use Cannabis look like thugs or straight from 'The Estate'. I'm not saying that these people are a representation of all cannabis users at all but you have to see that these types are more than just a tiny minority and give the substance a bad image.
:roll: Perhaps I should then judge every alcohol consumer based on a few blokes I see underneath a bridge in east London surrounding a burning barrel to keep warm and then come up with my own little "statistics" - that 97.5% of all alcohol consumers are tramps who usually have a scruffy dog with them and smell like they've not washed for 6 months. Its not that difficult to be selective and bias to make a point.

You're talking about around 2.5m people in the UK who identify as cannabis users. Perhaps the reality isn't as depressing as you see it, and that the majority of people you have no idea even smoke/consume it at all, but do it privately in their own space and time. You may say you've "no problem with it", but it sounds like you do have a certain attitude based on a handful of bad experiences. I would suggest you keep an open mind and not be so judgemental, just as I won't let a friday night boozed up crowd in high streets across many British towns/cities cloud my judgement on the several million (perhaps tens of millions) people who consume alcohol sensibly and without issue.

Besides, even if we take your extreme examples (of snobbery??) - surely its better that these "thugs" from down "the "Estate" are using cannabis as it will mellow them out and make them more docile. Can you imagine what they're like fuelled on 6 cans of Stella??* :wink:

*i'm being facetious, if you didn't already realise - sometimes its not always to see over a forum! :P
Clearly you didn't read this part of my post then:
Megamixer wrote:I'm not saying that these people are a representation of all cannabis users at all
I'm saying the opposite of what you claim I am :roll: . I'm making the point that cannabis has a certain image because of the common impression of the user - not that it is or should be taken as fact. I'm just saying that this should be taken into consideration when listening to the objections of others. I'm not saying it's right to have that perception but it is what it is and it would take a major image change of the drug to alter that.

At the end of the day, I don't care about people using it but I'm entitled to say that the smell offends me and if you came up to me whiffing of it then it would be a very brief encounter indeed.

But if you are on one of your crusades to promote the a singular correct way of thinking (and expecting everybody else to simply accept what you believe as the right, 'enlightened' way of viewing the world) then this entire debate is pretty much redundant.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:01 pm

Megamixer wrote:
I'm saying the opposite of what you claim I am :roll: . I'm making the point that cannabis has a certain image because of the common impression of the user - not that it is or should be taken as fact. I'm just saying that this should be taken into consideration when listening to the objections of others. I'm not saying it's right to have that perception but it is what it is and it would take a major image change of the drug to alter that.

At the end of the day, I don't care about people using it but I'm entitled to say that the smell offends me and if you came up to me whiffing of it then it would be a very brief encounter indeed.

But if you are on one of your crusades to promote the a singular correct way of thinking (and expecting everybody else to simply accept what you believe as the right, 'enlightened' way of viewing the world) then this entire debate is pretty much redundant.
Perhaps I am on a "crusade" : to try and change your perception, as I think it seems to be a bit warped, based on a number of things, and probably quite far from reality. The image the drug has in this country has been harmed by the media and the government for demonising it, the reality is so far from that. There is work to be done on the "image", perhaps, but thats no fault of the majority of users or the drug itself, but more about the way cannabis users get portrayed by rather a rather ignorant media who demonise and stereotype.

I'm not having a go at you, and you are indeed entitled to say you dislike the smell of cannabis, but this shouldn't be a basis of making it legal or not, otherwise breaking wind and cat food would be illegal!

To be fair, I haven't always been open minded about cannabis either - and have held some similar views to you in the past. The places where its fully legalised though, it seems to be largely a huge success and showing prohibition to be totally pointless and ineffective anyway. Its only a matter of time.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:31 pm

Nah, the majority of weedies are definitely unemployed chavs and smelly hippie traveller types. The media doesn't need to push this image at all. It's an obvious truth that's experienced directly by all except the pro-weedhead dimwits who live in a little bubble where their fave toke is the cure for all the world's ills. The putrid stench of weed lingers long after a fart or catfood has gone, of course. I do find it amusing that one of the main bugbears the anti-smokers routinely trot out, the smell, somehow shouldn't apply to a substance that stinks even worse.

I don't mind the NHS prescribing it for old codgers who are in pain btw. It sounds like a good idea to me. It's easily paid for if we stop throwing money away on free beer and drugs for all those "recovering" addicts out there.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:19 pm

The Beans wrote:Nah, the majority of weedies are definitely unemployed chavs and smelly hippie traveller types. The media doesn't need to push this image at all. It's an obvious truth that's experienced directly by all except the pro-weedhead dimwits who live in a little bubble where their fave toke is the cure for all the world's ills. The putrid stench of weed lingers long after a fart or catfood has gone, of course. I do find it amusing that one of the main bugbears the anti-smokers routinely trot out, the smell, somehow shouldn't apply to a substance that stinks even worse.

I don't mind the NHS prescribing it for old codgers who are in pain btw. It sounds like a good idea to me. It's easily paid for if we stop throwing money away on free beer and drugs for all those "recovering" addicts out there.
You're a funny old bloke aren't you? You should read your posts once in a while, you can track your lunacy progressing.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:09 pm

I was agreeing the stuff stinks and giving my thoughts on one single person I came into contact with in my original post. I was not trying to make out all pot users are like this. This I could of made clearer.

Being a carer at one point in my life helping many people in their homes. I did see it's use for some people who need it for medical reasons for pain control. Unfortunately some of these people I came into contact with had also developed a bit of paranoia with the amount they were doing.

Like anything moderation is the key and we can all be here forever and a day discussing this. Eventually it probably will be legalised. How long that actually takes who knows.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:49 am

silvergunner wrote:I was agreeing the stuff stinks and giving my thoughts on one single person I came into contact with in my original post. I was not trying to make out all pot users are like this. This I could of made clearer.

Being a carer at one point in my life helping many people in their homes. I did see it's use for some people who need it for medical reasons for pain control. Unfortunately some of these people I came into contact with had also developed a bit of paranoia with the amount they were doing.

Like anything moderation is the key and we can all be here forever and a day discussing this. Eventually it probably will be legalised. How long that actually takes who knows.
Fair enough. The smell is not to everyones liking - then again, lots of things aren't. With vaping (and of course eating it!), you can pretty much be undetectable as a cannabis-user from smell. Smoke really gets into clothes, but vapour just doesn't. Along with it being far kinder to the lungs, and cheaper.

Yeah, there are lots of medical applications to it as you point out. It potentially can cause short-term paranoia in some, although this is predominantly the psychoactive component THC, which although has some healing and medicinal properties, its mainly for inducing the "fun" high and "munchy" part for recreational users - which is why its been modified/increased by some growers. CBD is the other ingredient and has far more healing applications, and counters potential feelings of paranoia, in fact CBD has been used to help reduce anxiety in patients and users. Pure CBD oils are already used frequently. In general, a good balance of the two would be perfect for people looking to resolve health problems, and this is something that would be produced if it were legalised and regulated. The government could effectively offer a high CBD ratio strain of cannabis for the pharmaceutical industry, and more varied strains for recreational. Either way, its still got to be safer than being from the black market, where potentially (rarely, but can happen) the growers sprinkle it with glass to make it look "sparkly" (giving the impression its high in THC), or rarer still and worse lace it with heroin to make it more addictive.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Weed absolutely reeks like censored, personally I cant stand the stuff.

I know alot of regular weed users, and generally theyre all harmless. In fact I've seen alcohol do more damage to people i know than cannabis - its far more destructive than weed imo. Yep, I think it should most definitely be made legal. It could be regulated, taxed etc and controlled far better than it is currently. It's here to stay anyway so the morons in charge may as well embrace it.

Would also help lower the number of chav dickhead dealers the police have to deal with.

Eat your nans pants

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:09 am

crusto wrote:Weed absolutely reeks like censored, personally I cant stand the stuff.

I know alot of regular weed users, and generally theyre all harmless. In fact I've seen alcohol do more damage to people i know than cannabis - its far more destructive than weed imo. Yep, I think it should most definitely be made legal. It could be regulated, taxed etc and controlled far better than it is currently. It's here to stay anyway so the morons in charge may as well embrace it.

Would also help lower the number of chav dickhead dealers the police have to deal with.
True. The biggest drug dealer by a mile in the UK is the government! They make billions off sales of tobacco and booze, so its insane why they don't take a big slice of the money thats going to the black market and use it for good like they're doing in Colorado with their education system massively subsidised (or perhaps here the government could buy some more military hardware to please the right wingers), and saving their precious money on police resources, its a win-win.