play expo 2016

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: play expo 2016

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:25 pm

It would certainly be easier, since you could wail along with any old rubbish to that dirge.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Hmmmmm

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Anyone hear work for play expo?

I just bought my ticket online but nothing has been sent to my email for me to print off, no confirmation number or anything.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Check your Spam inbox?

Has the money gone out of your account?

Dont do the admin part of things

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:12 pm

if they have taken the money your online banking should show the pending transaction to them straight away

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:26 pm

Well, someone's just decided to drive into the side of my car, so looks like I won't get to go this year now. FFS.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:01 am

flatapex wrote:rock band would be a million times better with stuff like this included

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmW_xuO24bI
Minerva is in Rock Band :D

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:50 am

ArchaicKoala wrote:
flatapex wrote:rock band would be a million times better with stuff like this included

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmW_xuO24bI
Minerva is in Rock Band :D
i looked up a track listing and it wasnt on there

stupid google

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:30 pm

Just relaxing in the hotel after a long drive and a nice Five Guys burger. Looking forward to tomorrow!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:55 pm

well I'm home after day 1 (i'm not going tomorrow due to holiday), went up for the day with my mate Dan and caught up with Archaic Koala (as always)

a much better event than last year, i could move between stalls :lol: seriously the layout was much better and a nice atmosphere.

Didnt sample the bar/food, went over to the t.c food court when me and Dan got peckish.

some really cool stuff, spent £15 on some psp odds and ends (can tell i have a long haul flight tomorrow), gained street passes aplenty and picked up a few dreamcast bits for my friend too (including a d.c steering wheel which i got when i got a few bits for the value of the one thing in the bundle i actually wanted)

main downside was the funny looks i got carrying a d.c steering wheel through the trafford centre to the bus station (which is the complete opposite end of the tc), probably thinking 'my husband wouldnt get away with that' and also a couple of dirty looks from people going to the baby and toddler event which we had to pass the entrance of in order to get to p.e (only really annoying if you are as self concious- i know its spelt wrong- as me

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:29 pm

Tired
They really need more busses from Traford centre pre and post Play Expo
Costume fixing on the go
So fake blood washes out right?
Camera flashes
CROUCHING IS HARD!!

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:54 pm

Pretty good. Although I hope the effing idiots directing the parking basically die.

At least I got to try PSVR and had my customary run on Quazatron.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:48 pm

Got back just a little while ago. Myself, my wife & friend had a really good time overall.

Positives:

+ The venue. Inside: plenty of space for everything; nothing felt overly crowded. Outside: right next to the cavernous Trafford Center with almost every cuisine imaginable and multiple reasonably-priced hotels nearby. We were basically able to live on-foot for the entire weekend - everything was just really convenient.
+ The line. Was well organized and moved really quickly - we were in shortly after 10 on both days.
+ Sociable Soccer. Bloody good fun, really enjoyable to play despite being purportedly only 50% complete according to the splash screen. Sounds like they have some great ideas for it going forward. Played multiple times on both days.
+ The retro area was massive, felt really spoiled for choice. Just about every console and computer imaginable was on show and ready to play with multiple games available. Some cool rarities as well.
+ Good selection of vendors, even if some were a little pricey.
+ Board game section was nice, lots on offer to try.

Negatives:

- There were already broken arcades pretty much right after we got in the door. However - to their credit - the team running the area were visibly working hard to fix them.
- Felt like we had really seen everything by the end of the first day. Only ended up going for a couple of hours today (mostly to shop and play more Sociable).
- Convention cold. :( Just got over a sore throat last week, now I have a blocked nose and a cough instead.

All in all, worth the trip up. It was nice just to take everything in and enjoy the event. I'd go so far as to say it felt relaxing, where events can sometimes feel chaotic or exhausting. Good job to everyone involved!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:22 pm

Post event lurgy is a big thing

Pack down was intense, finsihed at 3am
Burger vans smoke was mental at first on the Saturday, then it became atmospheric when they opened the big vents
WWE 2k17 is a bit s***e and glitchy
Machinema questioned me while I was playing Roadblasters, I had to avoid saying "I liked the channel before the funny ones left
Cosplay improvements needed
REPAIR PATCHES!! Masking tape is a wonderus thing
Fake blood is fun

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:10 am

A very late run down for myself regarding this years event, I've been ill with post expo lurgy (as per normal) and have been away on holiday.

Positives:
Entry was smooth again, the staff handled everything nicely and as soon as the doors opened everyone was quickly ushered inside
Retro section has regained its atmosphere! I think putting those barriers up around it definitely helped as it didn't feel like you were sat in a barren wasteland this year
Great selection of consoles to play - we spent the majority of time playing Mashed on the xbox when we wanted a quick break from everything else
Arcade selection was great - Midnight Resistance YAY!!!! :mrgreen: Although I was slightly gutted that Hard Drivin wasn't available this year
A general better use space - It didn't feel like you were going to be crushed constantly
Better market layout - Although I didn't buy a huge amount this year, the market was a lot more pleasant as it was spaced better
Cosplay stage - Fun as always with a good amount of seating for when you want to enjoy a quick pint and rest weary legs :lol:
Bar prices were reasonable as far as an expo goes
The people! As normal I spent most of Saturday meeting with people, was great meeting up with the usual suspects :wink:

Negatives:
Lets start with the big one from me...
Car parking at Event City - What the hell happened on Sunday?! (I walked from the hotel on Saturday so I can't comment on that day) The staff told me I had to park over at the Trafford Centre and Play Expo visitors were not allowed on the Event City parking section, no explanation would be given despite me asking why.

Moving on...
Food selection - Yes I know the Trafford centre is across the way but the selection onsite was dire. If you were a vegetarian you were buggered full stop (My mate is a vegetarian)
Rock Band - In the way it was delivered it should not have been on stage, there was zero organisation so people would sit there for a good 5 minutes choosing a track (god knows how long it would have taken if they actually had any DLC) I've hosted Rock Band 3 parties in years gone by and what you do is generate interest and carry a printed song list for people to choose from so you can throw together set-lists. This probably only bothered me mind :lol:
LAN - Why oh why did you use UT 2K4? The machines clearly couldn't run the game and it was a stuttery mess, please bring back good old UT 99 next time :)

That's about it this year, It was overall a much more pleasant event than last year, all the major issues from last year were ironed out, I'll definitely be returning next year :)