Dara O Brian's Go 8 BIT

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

flying_delorean81

Re: Dara O Brian's Go 8 BIT

Post by flying_delorean81 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:40 pm

The Laird wrote:
The Beans wrote:If the title of this show is a play on words can someone explain the pun? I'm not getting it.
I haven't watched it btw. I can't stand Dara thingy. I'm just interested in the pun.
I believe it's meant to be a play on "go ape$hit" which is absolutely terrible
I thought the previous poster was joking when he said it's a play on words, as I couldn't come up with anything resembling "go 8bit". If it's really meant to be a pun on "go ape$hit" then it has failed, on many levels.

Get it, on many levels? Even I'm better at $hit plays on words than these guys!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:51 pm

theantmeister wrote:Watched the second episode. It was ok. There was a bit of a lull in the middle though.

Also, who makes someone play snake on an iPad? That's just wrong.
Yeah, and Dara's claim that they couldn't resurrect the Nokia just for the show seemed a bit strange - really, would it have been that difficult to play it on original handsets?

And they have to stop letting the guests choose the games, especially when said guests are that bereft of ideas that they choose the most basic phone pack-in game possible... how long before someone chooses solitaire? They could have done a Pokemon Go challenge, which I'm sure would be amusing, but they stuck with Snake. Maybe I'm being overly negative, but very little about the first 2 episodes has kept my attention. Watching people play games like Portal 2 just isn't that exciting... I feel like if they put more research into which games work well in 2 player co-op or competition, and which are exciting to watch, it would be a lot better.

I'll keep watching in the hope that it improves, and because there aren't exactly any other decent gaming shows to compete.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:21 pm

I enjoyed the first episode, but fast forwarded the snake challenge and checked facebook while the portal challenge was on. Im coming to the conclusion that Id rather watch players that have some skill at playing games.

Watching "celebs" claim they loved the mega drive yet dont know about the sonic spin in sonic 2 to get a headstart or play streetfighter and win by using kens hard kick continuously isnt really that good. Its all shouty shouty "which button is jump" type of stuff.

Watching supposed games reviewers struggle with basic movements on very popular titles is suprising, having celebs brag about how they "lived on this game" then crash and burn within seconds should make us feel smug but its just infuriating thinking they could have talented guys fighting performing 96hit combos on killer instinct or speed runs on level 1-1 of a mario game.

I enjoy ellies history of said games and ttitbits of interest but maybe they could have dara challenge an audience member or ellie challenge someone then take on dara...there is so much scope this show could use its staggering.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:20 pm

Watched the 2nd episode

I seriously hope that if it gets a second series they give them a screen closer to where they sit as it looks like they are struggling to see the screen at that distance
Not expecting TEH ELITE GAMORZ, but some that at least know how to play games

And lay off the emulation
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:48 pm

Watched the thrid

Yet again there distance fro mthe screen makes it hard for them to play
Galaxian is not best played 30ft from the screen and the amount of slowdown they where getting I dont remember from the arcade version
Kinda fazed the rest out apart from one guys rant on how "People only played this game because there was nothing else to play"

People should stay away from him they might get cut on all his edginess
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:15 pm

I made the effort to watch it because of this thread. The episode I saw was the one with Galaxian and Resi in it.

I will not be pursuing further episodes.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:15 pm

And the stupid idiot trying to be clever saying "there were only 8 colours - no-one had heard of 'teal' ", then cutting back to Galaxians where one of the aliens is EXACTLY that same colour.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:14 pm

DPrinny wrote: Galaxian is not best played 30ft from the screen and the amount of slowdown they where getting I dont remember from the arcade version

Yeah, i noticed that slowdown! I tried it myself on MAME, and there is some slowdown on occasions, but never to a crawl like it was for them.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:20 pm

They where probably running four versions of MAME on the same machine

STUPID IDIOTS!!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:58 pm

Playing 30ft from a big screen is much the same as playing 2 ft from a 20" CRT.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:05 pm

Size perception wise it might be, but when trying to see small sprites and split screen its a lot easier

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:05 am

Have to say it's a disappointment & a HUGE wasted opportunity.

Even little things like when the challenges are on, cutting away at key moments to "reaction shots" of the celebs...just let is see what's going on in the game.

How hard would it be to do a half hour show with

- someone knowledgeable doing a couple of modern game reviews,
- some retrogaming person doing a brief potted history of a popular franchise,
- an elite type gamer doing a challenge/going for a world record & maybe a celeb doing some sort of challenge, perhaps briefing them on how to jump in Chuckie Egg or how to do the sonic spin before the game!

Gamesmaster & Bad Influence managed it decade ago, how come it's never really happened since?

And add me to the list of people who didn't get the pun 'til it was spelled out on here.
Last edited by the_hawk on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:41 am

Why would you want modern games in a retro themed show... who reads reviews these days, people only whinge about them because they don't match their exact pre-conceived ideas and hopes from the previous two years preview coverage.
Last edited by RetroBob on Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:31 am

It isn't a retro show. Sometimes they will go 8 bit, sometimes they go modern.

I took the title to be a catchphrase (which I haven't heard used) rather than a bad attempt at a play on words, expecting at some point in the show to hear Dara say 'It's time to go 8 bit with...'
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:41 am

I'd rather they ditched the baggage of trying to be informative about the games and just concentrated on the gameshow aspect with decent fun multiplayer content. The traditional video game tv show approach is what really drags the show down imo. Shoehorning a game like Resident Evil into a competitive format just doesn't work. It's not a multi game but obviously somebody wanted to bang on about it for the nostalgia factor of a known brand without realising that watching somebody playing Resi badly makes for entirely crap viewing. And that's the main problem for me, the gaming was really crap to watch.
Overall, the game selection for the show I watched was erratic and the games were poorly presented. The producers need to decide what the show actually is and give it some appeal beyond the target audience of eight or nine old farts who get excited because Galaxian is on the telly.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.