Dara O Brian's Go 8 BIT

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

DPrinny

Re: Dara O Brian's Go 8 BIT

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:21 pm

It seems the whole program is aimed at those that think that everything with pixelated graphics is "8bit"
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:54 am

DPrinny wrote:It seems the whole program is aimed at those that think that everything with pixelated graphics is "8bit"
Yeah I must admit I find the title a bit misleading. Either only feature 8 bit games, or don't call it GO 8 BIT!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:17 am

Didn't mind it.

The detractors tend to either focus on the fact that it's not some smug, intellectual Guardian reader humour or the fact that they aren't being super accurate about the games, as if that matters.

For me it was some dumb fun about games. I didn't much rate the people on it but I wasn't offended either. It'll be interesting to see how it gets on for the next couple of episodes.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:52 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:Didn't mind it.
Same, although I was expecting something informative rather than a "comedy" panel show.

I'll give it another episode but don't see it getting any better/different.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:23 pm

1. Go 8-Bit was an existing format for a live show/challenge that has been performed at the Edinburgh Festival.

2. It's always featured a mix of eras, not just 8-bit.

3. It's on Dave, so it's a comedy show first and foremost.

These are the facts, people.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:35 pm

Great to see a gaming show on TV again - i watched alot of GamesMaster and some other shows with Games when i was young - some of them i didn't enjoy but now i don't watch alot of TV - some TV is just pure awful but Go 8-bit really does well and it's enjoyable
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:06 pm

flying_delorean81 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:It seems the whole program is aimed at those that think that everything with pixelated graphics is "8bit"
Yeah I must admit I find the title a bit misleading. Either only feature 8 bit games, or don't call it GO 8 BIT!
the title is a PLAY ON WORDS :lol:

been enjoying it big time, and it's always a larf when they have STOP TALKING AND EVERYONE EXPLODES on!

hate they don't actually use the ACTUAL machines, although in the case for snake i'll let them off!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:17 am

merman wrote:1. Go 8-Bit was an existing format for a live show/challenge that has been performed at the Edinburgh Festival.

2. It's always featured a mix of eras, not just 8-bit.

3. It's on Dave, so it's a comedy show first and foremost.

These are the facts, people.
Dear Sir,

My friends have all being telling me that I should really watch this netflix show, House of Cards. I did and was appalled. at NO POINT were ANY cards involved. At one point I thought I saw a a 6 of hearts, but it may just have been a bloodstain. I am disgusted and will never watch this trash again.

Yours,

Easily offended of Retro Gamer
Last edited by Treguard on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:44 am

Not even a mention of Canasta or Rummy in the entire show? Well thats a let down.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:22 am

If the title of this show is a play on words can someone explain the pun? I'm not getting it.
I haven't watched it btw. I can't stand Dara thingy. I'm just interested in the pun.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:25 am

The Beans wrote:If the title of this show is a play on words can someone explain the pun? I'm not getting it.
I haven't watched it btw. I can't stand Dara thingy. I'm just interested in the pun.
I believe it's meant to be a play on "go ape$hit" which is absolutely terrible

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:27 am

The Laird wrote:
The Beans wrote:If the title of this show is a play on words can someone explain the pun? I'm not getting it.
I believe it's meant to be a play on "go ape$hit" which is absolutely terrible
They had better have a Toki challenge
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:11 am

Thought the first one was OK. The rotating stage is a neat idea so they can face the audience for the introductions, then put their backs to the audience to play. But the rotating bit needs to be edited out more as the show goes on.

I don't see the point in using the audience predictions as scores, except to randomise the points and avoid a draw. Maybe if the favourite then got the lower score and the other won the higher score it'd be a sort of effective handicap system. But it just seems a bit of time-padding again.

Maybe a bit subtle but I noted how one guest gets to choose a game and the opposite team captain plays them (not the other guest), which at least gives a bit more balance.

What really disappoints me though is that they don't go in for a straight-out 4-player game. The ludicrously contrived set-ups for the final games so far have been just embarrasing.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:42 am

Watched the second episode. It was ok. There was a bit of a lull in the middle though.

Also, who makes someone play snake on an iPad? That's just wrong.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:59 am

I watched the second ep on catch-up last night, and found myself fast forwarding through chunks of it. I'm usually patient enough to not do that in the majority of tv shows I watch, but felt this was a bit overly padded with mediocrity.

Theres no reason why it can't be great, it just needs refinement, the right guests/panel, and better editing. It felt quite long as well - perhaps it would be better suited to a 1/2 hour slot.