Dara O Brian's Go 8 BIT

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sephiroth81

Re: Dara O Brian's Go 8 BIT

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:54 am

flying_delorean81 wrote:
I thought a lot of the jokes were very broad and didn't really land... can't help thinking that Charlie Brooker would have made it far sharper, like in the Gameswipe program he did a while ago.
True, although I generally quite like Dara and he also is an avid gamer, so it would be nice to have both he and Brooker on the show (perhaps replacing Dara's videogame expert sidekick), but that would probably break the budget!

I've noticed the trend of panel/game shows now being a presenter, with a co-presenter sidekick who's usually the more informed one dishing out facts. Did this start with BBC's "Pointless"???

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:32 am

Don't get Brooker on screen, he's annoying. Keep him behind the scenes in writing and production where he's best.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:14 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Don't get Brooker on screen, he's annoying. Keep him behind the scenes in writing and production where he's best.
:| I think he's alright and quite amusing. Then again, your opinions on lots of stuff lately has been mightily perverse so I should probably ignore it! :P

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:31 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
flying_delorean81 wrote:
I thought a lot of the jokes were very broad and didn't really land... can't help thinking that Charlie Brooker would have made it far sharper, like in the Gameswipe program he did a while ago.
True, although I generally quite like Dara and he also is an avid gamer, so it would be nice to have both he and Brooker on the show (perhaps replacing Dara's videogame expert sidekick), but that would probably break the budget!

I've noticed the trend of panel/game shows now being a presenter, with a co-presenter sidekick who's usually the more informed one dishing out facts. Did this start with BBC's "Pointless"???
Erm, Countdown?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:51 pm

flying_delorean81 wrote:I thought it was ok, although I hope they cut that annoying stage rotation bit in future episodes. 10 of the longest, cringeworthiest seconds I've ever had to sit through, repeated about 4 times!
The first episode shown wasn't the first episode filmed (I was at that very first filming), so I imagine the rotating stage is in every single episode, every single time! Dara was making some unbroadcastable jokes about it by the end of the filming I went to heh.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:59 pm

Treguard wrote:
Erm, Countdown?
OF COURSE!! :roll: So obvious as well.

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:05 pm

Yeah I really dislike the rotating stage shennanigans but it's always cool seeing games on tv.
The Tekken battle was proper tense I though lol
Also, that T-shirt is on my xmas list with Mrs T now ;)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:09 pm

I finally watched this last night and thought it was awful.

The most annoying things were:

Video of C64 Chuckie Egg being shown, only to play the Speccy version.
Annoying woman telling everyone her first gaming experience was with a PS1, only to backtrack to it being her brothers Game Boy and then backtracking again to claim it was Chuckie Egg (a game it looked like she had clearly never played before!)
The ridiculously set-up Tekken contest where somehow a guy who claims to never have played it before manages to win the last round perfect against an experienced Tekken player "perfect" with the scores tied at 2-2 :roll:

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:52 am

I saw it when it was on on Friday.

Overall it was okay, and I'll watch it again.

The woman playing Chuckie Egg was the worst game playing I've ever seen. Ever!

The rotating bit got boring after we saw it once. Why not just edit it out after that?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:53 am

tachi wrote: The Tekken battle was proper tense I though lol
Dont watch when they play it at proper tornys, you might have a heart attack
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:04 pm

I hope they're listening to feedback and busy editing the already recorded episodes for the series! No more daft stage rotations for the tv viewers, let the studio audience only suffer that tedium!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:41 pm

All the episodes were filmed back in April, so I doubt anything is going to change between now and the rest of the broadcasts.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:47 pm

Mayhem wrote:All the episodes were filmed back in April, so I doubt anything is going to change between now and the rest of the broadcasts.
I was hoping they could at least read our important feedback and edit these things out post-production! I sense it won't happen though, so we'll have to get used to the old "zany" stage rotation for this as you suggest!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:59 pm

Yeah is SO RANDUM LOL!!!:x
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:12 pm

DPrinny wrote:Yeah is SO RANDUM LOL!!!:x
I'm surprised someone as smart and relatively witty like Dara O'Briain would indulge in something thats being quirky for the sake of being quirky. Seems more of a "Chris Evans" kind of stunt.