Dara O Brian's Go 8 BIT

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

stvd

Re: Dara O Brian's Go 8 BIT

Post by stvd » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:23 pm

The Beans wrote:I made the effort to watch it because of this thread. The episode I saw was the one with Galaxian and Resi in it.

I will not be pursuing further episodes.
Same. Was Galaxians running at half speed?

And Bob Mortimer, singing the praises of the first 3 Resident Evil games but seemingly unable to open the door at the start and unaware there was a run button....

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:21 am

I liked the look of the game "Gang Beasts" that they played on this weeks episode. Does anyone rate it? Is it worth getting on Steam, or another reason to buy a PS4 for? (is it even out yet on PS4?? a light googling and i'm none the wiser).

On Steam, will it run fairly well on an I7 laptop, or does it require some sort of beastly (pun intended) desktop with a decent graphics card? It seems to fit the minimum/recommended specs on processor and RAM, but I have no idea about modern laptop graphics cards.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:33 pm

anyone spotted ALL the stuff in the titles?
it isn't a real car in the GTA1 bit begin chased by the cops!
:wink:

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:43 pm

mr jenzie wrote:anyone spotted ALL the stuff in the titles?
I've just watched the opening titles, and this is what I've got:

Generic console game "Press Start"
Mario Kart
Out Run Trees
Elite style ship
Mario Clouds?
Generic coin collection
Pac Man
Lemmings
Weird Green nose thing with jetpack
Generic Bomb
GTA
Wipeout
Ghostbusters
Galaxian
Rampage
Portal
Spectrum hurdles game
Dizzy
Chuckie Egg
Donkey Kong
Duck Shot
Sword Fighting thing
Tetris
Plants Vs Zombies?

Any I've missed or got wrong? I've no idea what the green nose monster is.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:46 pm

the pacing is far too slow. nothing will beat gamesmaster!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:18 pm

• Generic console game "Press Start"
    Mario Kart (karts)
    Pole Position (road)
    Out Run Trees
    Cobra Mk II (Elite)
    Mario Clouds?
    Generic coin collection
    Pac Man
    Lemmings
    Weird Green nose thing with jetpack
    Generic Bomb
    GTA
    Wipeout
    Pac Man & Ghost
    Assassin's Creed symbol on roof of building
    Ghostbusters
    Galaxian
    Rampage
    Portal
    Spectrum hurdles game
    Dizzy
    Chuckie Egg
    Donkey Kong
    Duck Hunt
    Sword Fighting thing
    Tetris
    Plants Vs Zombies?
    Street Fighter II
I'll throw in Pole Position for the road, since Mario Kart doesn't have white lines up the middle and is generally brown, not green, at the trackside. Could be any number of racers, but Pole Position is iconic.

I've not added it to the list, but the mountains in the background may be representative of another game. They don't look like the ones in Pole Position or Mario Kart, so I think it may be another reference. Or it might just be some random mountains. Given all the other stuff, I'm inclined to think they're echoing a particular game. Maybe I just picked the wrong racer with Pole Position.

There's a missile fired into the screen at the karts just as the Cobra flies across the top. Don't recognise it, but seems to have particular detail.

Your weird green nose thing isn't that green, I'm getting an orangey green, which leans me toward it being Q*bert. With a jetpack. Which might just be two references jammed together.

The bombs could be Bob-ombs, but equally likely they're Bomberman bombs given their profile.

Similar story with the Wipeout type ship, not sure if that's a real thing or just in the style of, since may be from F-Zero or something. It looks a little larger and more detailed than these things tend to once you start analysing the shape.

Pac Man turns up again here, along with a couple of ghosts. Between the two ghosts, there's what appears to be a moon buggy, though top down. A reference to Moon Patrol?

At this same point, there's an Assassin's Creed logo on the top of a skyscraper bottom left of screen. The red helicopter comes from that point - is this helicopter another reference?

Likewise, is the queue of traffic top right a reference to Burnout's crash zones, since it does become a pileup?

As the crew run past the 'studio' road markings, someone with red hair, yellow jacket and blue trousers takes a tumble. A game character? Looks like a skateboard rolls ahead of him when he falls. Tony Hawk reference?

Who gets stomped by the Rampage foot in the background?

Your Duck Shot is I presume Duck Hunt. Looks like a cross hair follows it, flashing white with the hit.

Similarly, I think the sword fighting bit might be Prince of Persia. Could also be Summer Games II fencing event.

The zombies are taken out with a Street Fighter II fireball.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:10 pm

Watching episode 4 right now, it's possible the sword fighters are from Nidhogg (no,that's not a tablet typo)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:57 pm

I've just realised it must have finished, as it wasn't on this week. Six eps. I hope we get another series, as it was quite fun.
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:55 pm

Looks like there's going to be not one, but two more seasons:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... ird-series

It may not have been the best, but it was nice to have something video game related on TV.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu May 25, 2017 8:09 pm

I just happened to spot series 2 episode 2 was just on Dave. You can get the episodes on demand on the UK TV site.

Tom_Baker

Post by Tom_Baker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:48 pm

I once played donkey Konga whilst using dara's head as the bongo.It was fun and gave a satisfying slap noise.