New Rogue One Trailer

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

che_don_john

Re: New Rogue One Trailer

Post by che_don_john » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:We know nothing about Finn prior to his first mission. He could have been (and probably was) having issues long before this. Yes, the presentation does make it seem like a fast turnaround, but not half as bad as Anakin's improbable sudden fall to the dark side. If anything, the latter makes Finn entirely consistent within the Star Wars universe.
Well, we know it's his first mission, so all he's had up to that point is training and indoctrination. You say the presentation makes it seem like a fast turnaround as if there's something unseen that legitimises it. Well, maybe - but we don't see it! All we can judge is what's shown to us - it's not up to you or I to fill in the holes of poor character development. I agree that Anakin's fall was much worse though. :lol: Let's not use that as a metric.
Antiriad2097 wrote:Phasma was heavily hyped in the run up to TFA. I don't doubt there was much more originally going on, so again I think it may be down to the final edit. Regardless, she doesn't think the rebels will have any joy so her turning off the shields is fairly inconsequential to her. She believes in her troops so much she's sure they'll win.
Very good point, that makes sense. Although again I think you're doing a better job of writing character than Abrams, and filling in the gaps for him!
Antiriad2097 wrote:Why can't the Falcon come out of hyperspace into the planet atmosphere? Don't think there's been anything written to say it's not possible, any less than there is about being able to hyperspace out of a docking bay.
In the EU there were things call 'hyperbuoys' that acted as waymarkers on hyperspace routes. All ships had to travel along these hyperspace routes (think that may have been mentioned in one of the original films, too). Granted, a lot of EU stuff is being erased, but then even allowing for that - wouldn't coming out of lightspeed into a planet's atmosphere require some god-like skill and precision (not to mention creating one hell of a shockwave - like with a sonic boom but...well, much bigger)?
Antiriad2097 wrote:We've no idea how distant the other planets are. They're visible in the sky, so can't be that far. And for once, I think it falls into the whole 'fantasy' element where it just looks good and makes 'sense' on screen regardless of actual physics. For most people who see a thing, then see it blow up, they aren't thinking "that's too far away, it should take a while for the light to travel". Do we actually know Star Wars physics to be the same as ours?
Yes - it's set in a 'galaxy far, far away', not in another universe :wink: But, yes, I agree with your point that it make sense on screen (in the same way that sounds are heard in space, and that gravity exists in the spaceships).

Those were just examples off the top of my head anyway; there are plenty of other things that don't make sense even within the 'universe' that was been created by Lucas. Whereas Rogue One, for me, seemed much more loyal to all the work that had gone on before it.
Antiriad2097 wrote:You're taking Flash Gordon way too seriously imo if these things are deal breakers for you.
I feel like I have to strongly (and always respectfully) disagree with here, though. What's wrong with liking good, solid writing and an avoidance of deus ex machina?! It's merely an appreciation for and a preference of good story telling and good writers. As I said before, by all means create new rules and laws - but stick to them and be consistent, and make character arcs believable. I don't think that's taking fiction too seriously. You've taken Rogue One to task on much the same lines as I have with FA.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:24 pm

Finally going to see this on Monday. Xmas was too busy, plus I didnt go to the midnight first screening this time as I figured there'd be no big "Han Dies" type spoiler unless Snoke was a janitor on the original Death Star or something. :lol:

Will see Ep 8 on the midnight showing mind.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:51 pm

that wasnt a Star wars film

It was a war film in the stars
Well the last half an hour was

PEOPLE DIE WHEN THEY ARE KILLED!!

Edit
Hang on a min
Could this just be a trailer for the Battlefront game? Isnt that what they are ment to be like?
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:25 pm

Saw it today as I said.

Pretty good, think I preferred TFA as I felt that had more to prove after the prequels and the Disney purchase and to me it paid off. But still a good film, I liked even the little-est of fan nods like them bumping into the "He doesn't like you!" duo from A New Hope to name one. I smiled and laughed the moment Vader switched on his lightsabre, knowing full well the scene was going to be awesome and everything the Episode 3 appearance was not (Although the bath scene seemed a bit silly to me. Yes, I get he has to wash what skin he has left sometimes, but did we really need to see it? I was expecting him to be angry at the chap for disturbing his bath. :lol: ). The CG actors did not bother me much, probably because I saw the young Robert Downey Jr in Civil Wars back in May, so I can see them using the technology more, but then they use the actor's likeness's for comics and book covers so meh, same-ish thing. Plus I heard they asked the Cushing Estate and they were okay with it so I guess it's a little less shady as they asked permission.

But yeah, still enjoyed it. I rate the originals and TFA higher, but certainly better then the prequels (Yeah yeah, all aboard the prequel hating train, blah blah...)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:17 pm

watched it tonight, slow start but finishes very strongly, good film and probably the grittiest of all the Star Wars films, I can see why some have likened it to a war movie. Not quite as good as I thought it would be but I still enjoyed it.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:01 pm

Finally got the chance to view this and it was worth the wait. Definitely agree it felt more like a war film than a science fiction one, and I liked how it showed there are morally grey areas and not everyone has a happy ending. Unlike many prequels it felt like it had a reason to exist, fitting in nicely around the existing lore whilst adding it's own touch. Will definitely be getting it on Blu Ray

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:03 pm

Watched it about 4 times now and really enjoy it. Blu-ray coming soon, was going to order the digital version over the weekend but annoying we have to wait longer than the US (?!).

I prefer it to Force Awakens. I do like FA dont get me wrong but to me this was tons of action. First half had quite a few planet changes etc but the second half was non stop action but really enjoyed the whole film. Love some of the nods towards the original trilogy and loved the ending. To me it wasnt a standalone film its like Star Wars 3.5 just before a new hope.

The Peter Cushing stuff i thought was great, they had asked permission before hand so no issues there. I remember when i saw it for the first time and he was stood with his back to the camera and i thought 'its Tarkin, he obviously wont turn around' and when he did there was a slight 'woahhh' as i wasnt expecting that.

Looking forward to the Last Jedi, we'll obviously see much more of Luke (cant be any less than the last one !) but roll on December ! Still surreal having a new film out every year. So far for me 2/2 with the new films

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:25 pm

Couldn't say which was better at this stage, but Rogue had the advantage in that it is a self contained story and wasn't expected to kick start a new storyline or sell so many toys. Minor spoiler, but I noticed the original Red and Gold leaders during the attack as well, so not sure if that was old footage or CGI

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCuoWSv6UeA

Trailer for the VHS version

If only
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:41 am

Negative Creep wrote:Couldn't say which was better at this stage, but Rogue had the advantage in that it is a self contained story and wasn't expected to kick start a new storyline or sell so many toys. Minor spoiler, but I noticed the original Red and Gold leaders during the attack as well, so not sure if that was old footage or CGI
Combination of both apparently, it was taken from old footage at the time that wasn't used in New Hope and superimposing on the new space background, together with blending a bit on the lips and voice to match the new speech.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:57 am

For me Rogue One is easily the better movie; Force Awakens is trying to pander to the old audience and the new whilst Rogue One is unashamedly the preserve of the old school Star Wars fan. Whereas in many ways Force is a reboot of ANH, Rogue stands on it's own two feet and was something new and refreshing for anyone who thought IV-VI were untouchable.

The humour is spot on, the action intense and the scene with Vader rivals anything from the original trilogy and (as I mentioned before) deserves to go down in cinematic history as one of the most memorable scenes, easily up there with the first sight of AT-ATs in Empire.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Agree about Force Awakens. I was swept up in the hype and dont get me wrong i do enjoy the film but its a 'safe' rehash of Star Wars. I can see why they did it, the hype/pressure on this first film was unreal so the safe option worked.

I'm really looking forward to Episode 8 though as it should be 'new' rather than a rehash etc.

But loved the way Rogue One led into Star Wars and looking forward to getting the blu ray next week

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:25 pm

the weak first half of Rogue One really lets it down imo, I much prefer TFA.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.