New Rogue One Trailer

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

paranoid marvin

Re: New Rogue One Trailer

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:03 pm

I think the problem with Tarkin in this movie was the amount of money spent on the CGI ; because they'd spent that much cash, I think they had to justify it by having him in it quite a bit. But this is just the icing on the cake, and will open the floodgates to much more like this, but more convincing as teh technology improves. As I mentioned before (and as others have mentioned) reflections in glass, shots from across the room and maybe the odd short close-up - just like was done with Leia - would have looked more convincing.

I know others have mentioned that this is like a war movie - I just don't get that at all, but it's the first movie I think I'm going to go back to the cinema to watch again - and I've never done that with any film EVER (ok I watched the Star Wars trilogy a few years after watching ROTJ at the cinema, but that's not the same thing).
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:03 am

Finally got to see this last night. I think maybe the child in me is starting to disappear :(
I did enjoy the film, but just didn't find it an exciting experience. Preferred episode 7 to this, but will watch again when it's available on 3d Bluray.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:09 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I think the problem with Tarkin in this movie was the amount of money spent on the CGI ; because they'd spent that much cash, I think they had to justify it by having him in it quite a bit. But this is just the icing on the cake, and will open the floodgates to much more like this, but more convincing as teh technology improves. As I mentioned before (and as others have mentioned) reflections in glass, shots from across the room and maybe the odd short close-up - just like was done with Leia - would have looked more convincing.

I know others have mentioned that this is like a war movie - I just don't get that at all, but it's the first movie I think I'm going to go back to the cinema to watch again - and I've never done that with any film EVER (ok I watched the Star Wars trilogy a few years after watching ROTJ at the cinema, but that's not the same thing).
I suppose Leia will probably turn up in CGI for Episode 9, as Carrie Fisher done all her scenes for Episode 8. I suspect that's what they'll do.

With Tarkin and co. in this film, it did sort of remind of some of the scenes in Forest Gump, where he meets JFK, etc. Sort of an unreal feeling to it(as I said in the previous post).

Hmmm, yeah - you know, I probably would go back to the cinema and re-watch it. I've done with a few films(Inception, LA Confidential). It's rare that I do it - but this could be the case.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Not reading the full thread

As somebody that isnt really a Star wars fan (thinking that the films are just "Ok" and have no interest in watching 1-3), but like other Sci-Fi films
Worth watching Rouge one?
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:13 pm

DPrinny wrote:Not reading the full thread

As somebody that isnt really a Star wars fan (thinking that the films are just "Ok" and have no interest in watching 1-3), but like other Sci-Fi films
Actually, yes. I think Rogue One might appeal more to casual viewers like yourself, Dprinny. It goes off on a different tangent to previous films - so you are getting something different compared to the previous films.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Katzkatz wrote:

Actually, yes. I think Rogue One might appeal more to casual viewers like yourself, Dprinny. It goes off on a different tangent to previous films - so you are getting something different compared to the previous films.
So no magical space samurai with lazer swords?
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:44 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:

So no magical space samurai with lazer swords?
There's Darth Vader in there - and also SPOILERS there's a sort of old Jedi in there .

Another plus point over The Force Awakens was the fact that when I went to see that film, after it had finished, there were two guys a couple of rows in front of me and they said the following : "Of course, a novice like Rey wouldn't be able to handle a lightsaber like that. That's unrealistic." As Spector later said to me(after I told him the story on the IRC), it was like someone had been let out of the autism awareness centre! :lol:

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:09 pm

markopoloman wrote:Finally got to see this last night. I think maybe the child in me is starting to disappear :(
I did enjoy the film, but just didn't find it an exciting experience. Preferred episode 7 to this, but will watch again when it's available on 3d Bluray.
This is a bit how I felt about it.
I saw it last week and felt it was alright as a film. It kept my attention and the last half hour was quite good.
It didn't feel like Star Wars to me though - despite Vader, Stormtroopers etc. - just didn't seem to have the proper Star Wars vibe.
Interestingly I cannot remember any of the names of any of the main characters (apart from Jyn), which to me says something about how uninteresting their character development was.
I liked the droid - he was amusing.
I hated Tarkin - he looked like a character from Star Wars Rebel Assault on the PC from the late 90's... really jarring I thought.

In my opinion it is nowhere near The Force Awakens as a Star Wars film. It's better than the other 3 prequels, but IV, V, VI and VII are far superior.
Never mind Episode VIII next December... sure that will be better.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:33 pm

If you aren't a fan of Star Wars then 'no'; you either won't get - or won't enjoy - the nods to other films in the series. Which is pretty much what 60%-70% of this film is all about.

Imagine this film as a 2 hr intro to Star Wars IV: A New Hope.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:52 am

I thought it was excellent and so much better than Force Awakens.

FA was just one deus ex machina after another. Even in fantasy (which SW is; it's not sci-fi) you have to stick to the rules. By all means decide what those rules are, but you still must stick to them if you are to have a believable and coherent narrative. FA was a mess in that regards (indoctrinated Stormtrooper suddenly having a pang of conscience on his first mission; dyed-in-the-wool Imperial Captain lowering the shields without resisting; Falcon coming out of hyperspace into a planet's atmosphere; people on one planet seeing destruction of distant ones instantly; small planet-sized base able to drain power of its star with no regard to laws of mass or gravity; etc.).

In some ways Rogue One was perfect. I don't mean to say it's one of the best films ever made, or even the best SW film; I mean that in terms of achieving what it set out to do, and how it went about it, there's nothing that could be changed to make it better. I watch FA and the prequels and can think of many things I would change about them; with RO, I can't yet.

The acting was great, the pace was great, and the way it tied in with New Hope whilst mopping up the continuity mess left by the prequels (in which the Death Star was bizarrely suggested as being a Separatist/Geonosian design) was very impressive. Aesthetically it was spot on. I was also relieved that they didn't kiss at the end; it looked like they might for a moment and I was worried, because it would have added a cheesy and unnecessary sub-plot.

The Vader scene at the end was superb; probably the best sequence in any Star Wars film.

I suppose my only nitpick was Cushing's face; it just looked weird and was off-putting. I don't think it was entirely necessary to include Tarkin in this story.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:18 am

paranoid marvin wrote:

If you aren't a fan of Star Wars then 'no'; you either won't get - or won't enjoy - the nods to other films in the series. Which is pretty much what 60%-70% of this film is all about.

Imagine this film as a 2 hr intro to Star Wars IV: A New Hope.
I am familiar with Star Wars, im just not one of those mental fans that thinks that they are perfect films.
The force awakens I class as a "Normal Star wars film",
Ill go see it tomorrow anyway

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:06 pm

che_don_john wrote: I suppose my only nitpick was Cushing's face; it just looked weird and was off-putting. I don't think it was entirely necessary to include Tarkin in this story.
Yeah, I thought that Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy looked more convincing, and that was made a few years ago, so I was expecting it to be better now.

Obviously it wasn't Cushings voice as well so that didn't help the illusion (even if Holby City's Mr Hanssen did a fair job of it). James Earl Jones is sounding a lot croakier in his old age as well! Sounds like Darth Vader had a heavy smoking habit during the Rogue One era, but thankfully his voice restored and sounded normal again for the following events in A New Hope...

An entertaining enough film though. I'm no Star Wars nut, but they are decent action films, even if the storylines are a bit goofy and religion-inspired at times. It probably doesn't help when some of its most "devout" fans treat it like a religion, and will consider this paragraph as blasphemy. :P

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:41 pm

che_don_john wrote:FA was just one deus ex machina after another. Even in fantasy (which SW is; it's not sci-fi) you have to stick to the rules. By all means decide what those rules are, but you still must stick to them if you are to have a believable and coherent narrative. FA was a mess in that regards (indoctrinated Stormtrooper suddenly having a pang of conscience on his first mission; dyed-in-the-wool Imperial Captain lowering the shields without resisting; Falcon coming out of hyperspace into a planet's atmosphere; people on one planet seeing destruction of distant ones instantly; small planet-sized base able to drain power of its star with no regard to laws of mass or gravity; etc.).

In some ways Rogue One was perfect. I don't mean to say it's one of the best films ever made, or even the best SW film; I mean that in terms of achieving what it set out to do, and how it went about it, there's nothing that could be changed to make it better. I watch FA and the prequels and can think of many things I would change about them; with RO, I can't yet.
:lol:

TFA was fine.

We know nothing about Finn prior to his first mission. He could have been (and probably was) having issues long before this. Yes, the presentation does make it seem like a fast turnaround, but not half as bad as Anakin's improbable sudden fall to the dark side. If anything, the latter makes Finn entirely consistent within the Star Wars universe.

Phasma was heavily hyped in the run up to TFA. I don't doubt there was much more originally going on, so again I think it may be down to the final edit. Regardless, she doesn't think the rebels will have any joy so her turning off the shields is fairly inconsequential to her. She believes in her troops so much she's sure they'll win.

Why can't the Falcon come out of hyperspace into the planet atmosphere? Don't think there's been anything written to say it's not possible, any less than there is about being able to hyperspace out of a docking bay.

We've no idea how distant the other planets are. They're visible in the sky, so can't be that far. And for once, I think it falls into the whole 'fantasy' element where it just looks good and makes 'sense' on screen regardless of actual physics. For most people who see a thing, then see it blow up, they aren't thinking "that's too far away, it should take a while for the light to travel". Do we actually know Star Wars physics to be the same as ours?

Sun draining machine? Absolutely fine. We have no information on how it works. Maybe it does follow all the laws of physics you want it to. Maybe it has a black hole at it's centre? I have no idea. I don't care. It's no stranger than having a kyber crystal powered death star weapon.

You're taking Flash Gordon way too seriously imo if these things are deal breakers for you.

SPOILERS AHEAD...

Rogue One can be equally bad. There's no reason at all for the Rebels to suddenly get behind Jyn and follow her on the mad mission they do. At best, she'd be dragged along in a consulting capacity. Why even bother taking her to see her dad when the plan is to execute him? Send one band off to do that while another takes Jyn to see Saw and get the plans he's acquired, she'd be more cooperative that way.

Saw Gerrera was largely pointless and a waste of screen time imo. The whole thing with the pilot going to him, then Jyn traipsing along to see him was fairly pointless. Then he bails? Made little sense to me which was a shame when some of his supporting characters had potential.

Tarkin taking control as he did was silly. As a superior he could have stepped in at any time anyway. No need for him to do things as he did and its possibly the weakest character moment we've seen from him, it seems at odds with everything that we already know about him.

Why does Cassian even bother with the attack on Krennic as they're climbing the data tower? The only reason seems to be so he can be shot. Really, more likely he'd have just stayed in cover behind as Jyn did and made his way up quite safely.

The entire 'master switch' thing seemed to be put in place only to kill off more people. It was like they'd built a system to be entirely obtuse and awkward to use. The complete opposite of TFA, using physical devices instead of people just to get some action going.

And since you get hung up on physics, why is Vader's cape billowing in the wind as he stares at the departing Tantive IV? Is he using the force to move it just for effect so he can look badass? Since he's effectively standing in open space, it shouldn't be doing that.
Sephiroth81 wrote:Yeah, I thought that Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy looked more convincing, and that was made a few years ago, so I was expecting it to be better now.
You need to go back and watch Tron Legacy again. It was passable back then, but Tarkin is much more convincing. I've watched 'real' and CGI Tarkins back to back and it's surprisingly effective. I'm not quite sure what it is that's off about him, but it's not quite right. I suspect young Flynn gets away with it due to the less realistic backgrounds and setting he's working against.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote: You need to go back and watch Tron Legacy again. It was passable back then, but Tarkin is much more convincing. I've watched 'real' and CGI Tarkins back to back and it's surprisingly effective. I'm not quite sure what it is that's off about him, but it's not quite right. I suspect young Flynn gets away with it due to the less realistic backgrounds and setting he's working against.
Yeah, I think part of it will be down to the fact that Tron Legacy was set in a very different environment/background compared to Rogue One. Its relatively easy to spot on both that they are CGI, but I guess for me the illusion is probably broken because we know Cushing is long dead, while Jeff Bridges is alive and obviously lends his voice to the role. This added to the authenticity for TL.

Both are passable, but I still think there is a lot more room for it to become more seamless and....eerie. I guess it is only a matter of time though, but given that the film is 6 years newer, I was hoping to be more stunned by that aspect of Rogue One.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:16 pm

The problem with using GCi in sci-fi films is the people that watch them are the types that can spot it