Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

silvergunner

Re: What is the most edited, censored film released

Post by silvergunner » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:02 am

DPrinny wrote:Id include anime, but that one will be Urotsukidoji
Its a hentai flick

They edited the crap out of the sex bits
Or an example of the US ruining things
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind>Warriors of the wind, get rid of all messages in the film
Cardcaptor Sakura - To much to list http://cardcaptorsakura.wikia.com/wiki/Cardcaptors
Yep Urotsukidoji 4 infernal road was released on dvd here but as the script with still images :shock:

I have not seen it myself but I have seen stills on comparison sites and I can understand why it was done.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:08 am

stvd wrote:I have a dvd box set "Box of the Banned - Video Nasties".
The 2 films I've watched have both been cut!
Zombie Flesh Eaters has the splinter through the eye scene removed.
And the initial rape scene from I spit on your Grave has been cut to bits, reusing the same video and audio clips over and over again to try and convey what's happening as opposed to showing it.

That eye scene is horrible, and to be honest I'd find it more effective if they cut away just before. Not usually a fan of those low budget shock films but I do think it's a really good film. The shark scene is really well done and it has that constant sense of slow moving dread.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:51 am

ITV was definitely the best. Mel Gibson saying let's go get these mother funsters a highlight for me!

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:53 am

The eye scene was one of the few details that I could remember from watching it when it was first released.
I'd never seen the film again until I got the dvd's.
I was keen to see how good/bad it looked all these years later.
Seems a weird thing to cut out.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:56 pm

Treguard wrote:
Leon got massive cuts in the US, mainly around Natalie Portman's character as she's meant to be 12. So no propositioning Jean Reno, no Russian Roulette, and she doesn't help to kill anyone.
That was the same in the UK, too. I think I picked up a later Japanese DVD (version integral based on a French edit) that has all the lolita-esque stuff in it. I think there was a german blu-ray of it too which I have.

http://www.thefilmleague.com/2011/04/ve ... n-of-leon/

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:36 pm

DPrinny wrote: Cardcaptor Sakura - To much to list http://cardcaptorsakura.wikia.com/wiki/Cardcaptors
Is there a subtitled version to watch over here? I really enjoyed the Western version (Cardcaptors) as a kid but I had no idea we were missing a load of stuff.
Katzkatz wrote:The first batch of DVDs were cut - but from 2010, they all uncut.
It's the other way around from how I understand it...only the original release of True Lies with the red 'Widescreen' banner across the top of the DVD cover is uncut. All the other versions after that have been cut.
Big Shoes wrote:The UK release of Eraser is a lot shorter than the American release, loads cut out of that.
Yeah, it's an awful edit. The alligator scene in the zoo is cut as is the scene where Arnie pulls the pin on a bloke's grenade and kicks him into a lift. The scene right at the end with the limo getting blown up is also completely missing. Strangely, it was all uncut last time I saw it on TV but the DVD is still cut! Another great reason to own the R1 version...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:45 pm

Megamixer wrote:
DPrinny wrote: Cardcaptor Sakura - To much to list http://cardcaptorsakura.wikia.com/wiki/Cardcaptors
Is there a subtitled version to watch over here? I really enjoyed the Western version (Cardcaptors) as a kid but I had no idea we were missing a load of stuff.
Not legit
There is a 1080p bluray rip of it with subs, I really dont have time to rererererewatch it all........

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:48 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
Not legit
There is a 1080p bluray rip of it with subs, I really dont have time to rererererewatch it all........
Bit too much effort then by the sounds of things. Tempted to check out the Western dub again for nostalgia but it's always off-putting when you KNOW they've f***** about with it, even if you were blissfully unaware as a kid!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:58 pm

Its probably on some video sites
The dubbed version cant get to smeg

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:23 pm

I'm a big fan of the Video Nasty era, even though I was only six at the time! I couldn't tell you if it's the most censored film film out there, but certainly Cannibal Holocaust is the most infamous. Strangely, among a lot of deck on the Nasties list, Cannibal Holocaust is one of the better films on there. Even though it's a very hard film to watch, it's well made, acted and loses impact if watching a censored version.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:22 pm

TheDude18 wrote:I'm a big fan of the Video Nasty era, even though I was only six at the time!.
Different times! :D
I watched both Zombie Flesh Eaters and I Spit on your Grave (amongst others) while still at primary school.
With my brother and parents.
Although we were sent out the room AFTER the rape scene.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:22 am

CutThroat Island - that Geena Davis pirate film that did so badly it killed the studio (but I loved it)...

On VHS it's a 15, but the DVD I have is a PG, pretty much every fight scene is butchered - pirates running at each other then suddenly they're dead. One character just plain disappears until you notice his body in the background of another shot, they've cut the bit where he gets his neck broken in the ship's wheel. And Geena Davis's escape from prison is nonsensical, originally she strangles the guard with a chain, on the DVD she just... Leaves prison? Big bloody shame :(
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:35 am

Seeing those lurid, scary covers in the horror section of my local video shop are still etched in my mind. The skull/pumpkin cover of Halloween II still gives me shivers. Even though I was looking to rent The Muppet Movie, I still couldn't keep my eyes away from those films, wondering about the horrors within.

Now I still wonder about the horrors within, even though a lot of them are $hite. I find the whole era fascinating, the witch hunts, confusion, scaremongering (horror films affect some dogs!) and so on. If you haven't already seen them, the Video Nasties ultimate guides parts 1 and 2 are essential viewing. Not just for the documentaries, but for a trailer and mini review of each and every film that appeared on the the section 2 & 3 lists that takes up the bulk of each set, around 26 hours viewing in total! Essential stuff.

As for Zombie Flesh Eaters, that one (along with others doing the rounds) was passed around the school, a really bad copy which made the film even scarier! Now when I watch it, I'm just amazed on how the filmed the shark scene - How the hell did they do that?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:52 am

TheDude18 wrote:As for Zombie Flesh Eaters, that one (along with others doing the rounds) was passed around the school, a really bad copy which made the film even scarier! Now when I watch it, I'm just amazed on how the filmed the shark scene - How the hell did they do that?
http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/Zombi_2 wrote:The infamous shark vs. zombie scene actually was filmed in a large salt water tank and the shark was fed horse meat and sedatives before filming.
Still not sure I fancy trying it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:52 am

Big Shoes wrote:The UK release of Eraser is a lot shorter than the American release, loads cut out of that

The UK Video version is indeed a lot shorter compared to the cinema original. Not sure if the DVD version is cut though.

The Lethal Weapon films (all of them!) had similar cuts made to the violent scenes, only finally released uncut on Blu-Ray. Sadly, these versions aren't the 'Directors cut' versions on the previous DVDs! Pick your preference!