Alcohol linked to at least 7 cancers

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Treguard

Re: Alcohol linked to at least 7 cancers

Post by Treguard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:35 pm

aztecca wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:How dare you ruin my sensible and topical thread with juvenile and puerile remarks! :x :P

Yes because this thread wasnt created as bait for people was it :roll: Whats the matter not been getting enough attention :wink:
I'm having a protracted debate with Rodimus in another thread, sorry, it's my fault.

http://dailymailoncology.tumblr.com

A link to all the things the Daily Mail has claimed can either cause OR cure cancer. Some things end up
On both sides. If you followed every studies advice you'd go mental long before you got a tumour. Like Olli said, pretty much everything causes cancer, cancer is due to cells mutating in an unplanned way while being created, but our bodies need to replace cells daily for us to continue to exist. So effectively, life has the biggest risk of cancer. Should we ban life?

This isn't a law, it isn't even established fact. It's a study that suggests something. As the above link shows you can find studies to contradict it too. Just live your life sensibly. Don't chow down on a big lump of uranium or suck on a car exhaust, but if you want a pint or a fag, go for it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:48 pm

Treguard wrote:
A link to all the things the Daily Mail has claimed can either cause OR cure cancer. Some things end up
On both sides. If you followed every studies advice you'd go mental long before you got a tumour. Like Olli said, pretty much everything causes cancer, cancer is due to cells mutating in an unplanned way while being created, but our bodies need to replace cells daily for us to continue to exist. So effectively, life has the biggest risk of cancer. Should we ban life?

This isn't a law, it isn't even established fact. It's a study that suggests something. As the above link shows you can find studies to contradict it too. Just live your life sensibly. Don't chow down on a big lump of uranium or suck on a car exhaust, but if you want a pint or a fag, go for it.
Why does such a reasonably discussed topical news story which included scientific studies need to be met with defensive "state-the-bleedin-obvious" remarks and conclusions that we're talking about "bans"? Its just useful and potentially important information that could impact peoples lives for the better. You drinkers are well known for being defensive! :P

Meanwhile, don't discredit yourself by citing the Daily Mail! Focus on Rodimus!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:56 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Treguard wrote:

Why does such a reasonably discussed topical news story which included scientific studies need to be met with defensive "state-the-bleedin-obvious" remarks and conclusions that we're talking about "bans"? Its just useful and potentially important information that could impact peoples lives for the better. You drinkers are well known for being defensive! :P

Meanwhile, don't discredit yourself by citing the Daily Mail! Focus on Rodimus!
I'm teetotal.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:04 pm

Treguard wrote:
I'm teetotal.
Damn you. Well played.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:10 pm

Can't we just ban cancer. I mean, alcohol is nice - I'm sitting here drinking a bottle of Mort Subite Kriek Lambic 4% and it is jolly tasty. Much nicer than cancer.

Seph is banned for trying to put me out of business.

:mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:22 pm

Treguard wrote: Don't chow down on a big lump of uranium
A high level of background radiation tends to actually be beneficial in preventing cancer, as it stimulates the immune system to break down incorrectly functioning cancerous cells so malignant cancer doesn't get a chance to multiply.

There is a place in Iran called Ramsar where some people there get 10x the commonly accepted upper limit of radiation. Yet lung cancer is slightly down (though other health issues radiation can cause like fertility are negatively affected). Levels are probably too close to the tipping point for it to be a benefit to stay there all year round, especially if like the locals you eat food grown there that contains a lot of radioactive material or live in houses made of radioactive rock, but do what most people of the region do and have been doing for thousands of years and use it as a spa resort - thats why the town was built there after all.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:54 am

What if I get bitten by a radioactive insect?

I SHALL BECOME
Severely bloody ill man, with the powers of being in horrible burny pain

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:34 am

markopoloman wrote:Can't we just ban cancer. I mean, alcohol is nice - I'm sitting here drinking a bottle of Mort Subite Kriek Lambic 4% and it is jolly tasty. Much nicer than cancer.

Tell me sir, what good establishment can one source this fine sounding bottle of alcohol? Perhaps in the Dorset area??

(do i escape the ban now for that setup plug??)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:05 am

DPrinny wrote:What if I get bitten by a radioactive insect?

I SHALL BECOME
Or if I receive a dose of gamma radiation - and become the Hulk? :lol:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:42 am

Well I am practically teetotal now anyway. much prefer a glass of pepsi or coke with a pub meal than a beer anyway.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:11 am

aztecca wrote:anal bumming
There's other ways to bum? I am both frightened and intrigued. :shock:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:19 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Well I am practically teetotal now anyway. much prefer a glass of pepsi or coke with a pub meal than a beer anyway.
I occasionally miss the alcohol "buzz" that applies from about 1 to about 2-3 glasses of wine or beer (then goes downhill from there, at least for me). My tolerance for alcohol has dropped off significantly since my 20s.
Sel Feena wrote:
aztecca wrote:anal bumming
There's other ways to bum? I am both frightened and intrigued. :shock:
:lol:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:22 am

Katzkatz wrote:
DPrinny wrote:What if I get bitten by a radioactive insect?

I SHALL BECOME
Or if I receive a dose of gamma radiation - and become the Hulk? :lol:
Lightbulb man

With the powers of hair loss and glow in the dark

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Can't we just ban cancer. I mean, alcohol is nice - I'm sitting here drinking a bottle of Mort Subite Kriek Lambic 4% and it is jolly tasty. Much nicer than cancer.

Tell me sir, what good establishment can one source this fine sounding bottle of alcohol? Perhaps in the Dorset area??

(do i escape the ban now for that setup plug??)
No, it was a bottle given to me by someone coming back from Belgium. You are treading on very thin ice Mr iroth... VERY THIN. :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:11 pm

Its scary when research like this comes out.

Just like the recent " 101 different ways vegetariasm can turn you into an insufferable bore "

Truly scary