Holidays

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Holidays

Post by sscott » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:05 am

Anyone going good anywhere this summer? Doncaster, Rotherham or maybe prison for 3 months?
After some carefully planned nagging from the missus we're off to Faro in Portugal for a week.
As a parent it is now my legal and moral responsibility to entertain my kids for each and every second of their holidays where as a kid I took a football and 50p out and was not expected back until 8 o'clock.

Antiriad2097

Re: Holidays

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:24 am

I came back from 2 weeks in Tenerife a couple of weeks ago. Britain abroad, it was great. A lie in, then wander down to the beach for the day to lounge around, home for a nap, then an evening of good food, beer and live entertainment.

Mrs Ant is, naturally, getting antsy as we don't have another holiday booked and she finds it unbearable not to have one to look forward to. She says if I survive this round of redundancies, she's booking a week in Gran Canaria in October/November.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:28 am

In my head your surname is now 'Ant' and can't see that changing!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:41 am

So now I'm Ant Ant, like Mario Mario :lol:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:29 am

Went to Tenerife in March and just come back from Cyprus, both were great. We are going camping in the New Forest in August for 5 days too.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:35 am

Tenerife is awesome.

Went to Spain for a week, then France for a week of Euro 2016 and off to Ireland for a week in August.

I think we're quite lucky in Europe in that there is a pretty diverse collection of destinations all within a short distance.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:57 am

Went to Rome back in April, I love Italy anyway but it was amazing, probably the best place (in Europe at least) I've ever been to.

Had a week in Turkey a month ago - bloody hot (40s+) but was very sad to see how empty it was, I reckon the bars and clubs were only about a third full compared to last year.

Have a week in Crete booked in October also.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:43 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Went to Rome back in April, I love Italy anyway but it was amazing, probably the best place (in Europe at least) I've ever been to.

Had a week in Turkey a month ago - bloody hot (40s+) but was very sad to see how empty it was, I reckon the bars and clubs were only about a third full compared to last year.

Have a week in Crete booked in October also.
Turkey and Egypt have no doubt suffered. Wonder how French tourism is going?

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Switzerland - to go and see my uncle. He moved there about 25 years ago - for work(he used to work for Ascom - they used to make ticket machines for British Rail - he makes telephone exchnages). He's thinking about taking early retirement - so getting rid of a lot of tat he doesn't need and moving back to the UK to be closer to the family. Switzerland is quite nice(I've been before), very pretty and clean - if a bit clinical. He lives in Bern(the capital city), they have a massive Chessboard in the city centre where you can play people(I think it's in the old BBC TV serial "Smiley's People"). There's also Einstein's house, some botanical gardens, lots of museums, the bear garden(where the name Bern comes from - as they keep bears). Public transport is pretty cheap in Switzerland - and you can buy something like a weekly pass for the city. Got to get there by Geneva airport though, as Bern airport is quite small and doesn't have many flights - but the trains(like the rest of the public transport system in Switzerland) are cheap and run like clockwork(it's about 40 minutes from Geneva airport to Bern) - and you can order your train tickets online and print them out(they're PDF files).

I was actually thinking of visiting some of the other cities there - namely Geneva and perhaps Basel.

If you have basic school level French or German - then you can get by around there. Hell, I've managed to order tea and so on in a tavern.

One thing for all holiday now is the exchange rate - Sterling was overvalued and has taken a bit of hit - so when you're changing your money, you might not get as much as you think you would. It's a good thing that I still have some Swiss Francs around.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:20 pm

Cant afford a holiday, usually soon get bored when going places and end up in the pub drinking

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:17 pm

DPrinny wrote:Cant afford a holiday, usually soon get bored when going places and end up in the pub drinking
The Lass, Dprinny? :wink: :D

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:33 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Cant afford a holiday, usually soon get bored when going places and end up in the pub drinking
The Lass, Dprinny? :wink: :D
WE NO LONGER SPEAK OF THAT PLACE!!!!
Tis a dead place now devoid of charm and character

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:11 pm

off to canada in the winter for a week :D

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:21 pm

Two weeks in Japan again, during November. Wonderful Autumn scenery, and still just about t-shirt weather, too! As usual: CAN'T WAIT! :D

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:35 pm

Nowhere this year, IronMaidenRule Jr should be arriving in the next few weeks, technically it will be some time off work :)