Next England Manager

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Treguard

Re: Next England Manager

Post by Treguard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:56 am

English Invader wrote:I don't think he'll do any better than anyone else we've had. The man for the job was Harry Redknapp but that ship has long sailed.

I would have preferred the charismatic Alan Shearer. At least that way we could have failed on a budget instead of paying someone £4m a year to under-achieve. Heck, the FA might as well hire someone from the local leisure centre for all the difference it will make.
Yes, the tactical genius that is Harry 'Just rahnn araaaannnndddd' Redknapp. A man who's only success comes on the back of bankrupting Portsmouth and who claimed he can't read, write or count in a bid to avoid being jailed for tax fraud, then wrote (or presumably dictated) in his book that he got loads of texts from England players saying he should have got the England job- I'm assuming his dog read them too him. He's be an excellent choice to head the national team...

The press has been desperate to get a current England player to comment on Allardyce, and they managed to get some comment from Tom Heaton at Burnley's last press conference. I love Tom, but when the only person you can get to talk positively about the manager elect is your fourth choice keeper (Hart, Forster, Butland, Heaton. That's the order at the minute, although I'd have Forster first choice) then it just speaks volumes about where we are with this selection.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:03 am

£4m a year. Disgusting.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:44 pm

Really don't think I'll even bother watching the world cup qualifiers. We all know what will happen; go through with ease, be awful in the tournament itself

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:01 pm

I saw a stat of our recent managers win-rates/ratios in this century, and the highest two were Ericsson and Fabio Capello, our two only foreign managers. In fact the latter by that (fairly inconclusive stat), Capello has the highest win ratio on record! If we just go by that though, Glenn Hoddle was also incredible.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:02 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:I saw a stat of our recent managers win-rates/ratios in this century, and the highest two were Ericsson and Fabio Capello, our two only foreign managers. In fact the latter by that (fairly inconclusive stat), Capello has the highest win ratio on record! If we just go by that though, Glenn Hoddle was also incredible.
Glenn Hoddle wasn't in the job anywhere near as long as Sven but, if memory serves, he only lost four games (Italy, Romania, Argentina and Sweden).

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:16 pm

I certainly would of given Hoddle another stab at it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Really don't think I'll even bother watching the world cup qualifiers. We all know what will happen; go through with ease, be awful in the tournament itself
Thats why I don't understand why people complain about England being inconsistent.

Seems pretty consistent to me.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:53 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:Really don't think I'll even bother watching the world cup qualifiers. We all know what will happen; go through with ease, be awful in the tournament itself
Thats why I don't understand why people complain about England being inconsistent.

Yep, but that Iceland game was something else. If they'd parked the bus and scored by a fluke/offside goal I would have been angry but at least found a way to justify what happened. But we got totally outplayed and looked completely clueless

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:36 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:

Yep, but that Iceland game was something else. If they'd parked the bus and scored by a fluke/offside goal I would have been angry but at least found a way to justify what happened. But we got totally outplayed and looked completely clueless

All down to Hodgson for me. There was bad blood between the FA and Hodgson prior to the game, with the FA saying that Hodgson's contract renewal would depend on how far we got in the Euros, and Hodgson countering by saying that he wouldn't beg for a new contract; quite bizarre things to go public about mid-way through a major tournament.

I don't know what happened, but obviously SOMETHING did, and it caused Hodgson not only to pick some quite frankly bizarre team selections and formations, but also seemed to affect the players - and then afterwards have the balls to say that he shouldn't have to answer for his actions.

What's equally as bizarre is that with a good result against Iceland, it presumably would have lead to Roy getting another 3-5 year contract with the England team; do you really run a business based on the result of a single football match?

Undoubtedly it will all come out eventually, but whatever happened it was unforgivable for the fans to witness probably the most embarrassing display by an England team that there has ever been.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:07 am

Doing do bad in the Euros at least meant Hodgson never got a new contract.

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:02 am

On page one of this thread last month, in answer to the question of who would replace Roy Hodgson
Spector wrote:Sam Allardyce
...but I was joking! I honestly can't believe England have appointed this guy. I think it's a mistake, but it'll be interesting to see what exactly happens when he applies his legendary percentage football to the international form of the game. He's said before how he thinks he should be managing Real Madrid: now he has his chance to prove why.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:56 am

Can people not mention Glen Hoddle! He believed disabled people were being punished for their previous life. Leave him to ITV.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:48 pm

Spector wrote:On page one of this thread last month, in answer to the question of who would replace Roy Hodgson
Spector wrote:Sam Allardyce
...but I was joking! I honestly can't believe England have appointed this guy. I think it's a mistake, but it'll be interesting to see what exactly happens when he applies his legendary percentage football to the international form of the game. He's said before how he thinks he should be managing Real Madrid: now he has his chance to prove why.

I think they're punishing Wenger for not taking the job! :D
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:53 pm

stvd wrote:Lucky for him all the "bung" stories are long forgotten.
If they'd have been more recent, he wouldn't have had a chance in hell.
Ah....... Well it would seem there are more recent "bung" stories. :lol:

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:16 pm

:lol: