When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

How did you vote in the EU referendum?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:43 pm

I voted to STAY IN
49%
I voted to LEAVE
39%
I drew a large penis on the voting slip (or similar)
5%
I did not vote
7%

Total votes: 61

Matt_B

Re: EU in or out? Today's THE day

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:30 am

Cameron has announced that he'll be resigning in October. Well, that was predictable.

I'm guessing that BoJo will get the job of leading the negotiations, but the results will be unpredictable and they may take a very long time to conclude. Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty suggests a maximum of two years, but the only countries to leave the EU have been outlying territories of member states, so I'd expect things to take a heck of a lot longer.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:21 am

Matt_B wrote:outlying territories
I thought the only one had been Greenland (back in 1982). What others?

Greenland voted pretty much on one topic, fishery rights and territory. Scary that ours, with umpteen times the number of people, seemingly has been fought mostly over one topic too :?

Not sure where this will leave our dev team, about half of them are from the EU.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:09 am

Mayhem wrote:
Matt_B wrote:outlying territories
I thought the only one had been Greenland (back in 1982). What others?

Greenland voted pretty much on one topic, fishery rights and territory. Scary that ours, with umpteen times the number of people, seemingly has been fought mostly over one topic too :?
Algeria, Saint-Martin and Saint-Barthélemy are the others. They were all French territories at the time, and the latter two still are which gives them a rather complicated relationship with the EU somewhat akin to that of Bermuda and the Canary Islands.
Not sure where this will leave our dev team, about half of them are from the EU.
Nothing's going to happen immediately, but it's going to make things difficult for anyone to plan in the longer term if there's not some immediate clarification of what the negotiating positions on freedom of movement are. I suppose the Leave campaign has mostly been talking about people with existing jobs or firm offers being allowed to stay, which could still work if there's not too much red tape, but the lack of a definitive document to point to that's bigger than the back of a cigarette packet doesn't inspire much confidence in me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:49 am

More people over 60 voted to leave

So is it a kinda "Screw you" to the future generations?
aztecca wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Looks like we are out

That can understand bits of Spanish, French and Georde?
You can understand Geordie? I dont believe you.
My dad was one.......

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:07 am

DPrinny wrote:More people over 60 voted to leave

So is it a kinda "Screw you" to the future generations?
I wouldn't see it that way. Rather they're just a group that wouldn't really see the EU as doing much for them as they generally don't work and don't travel much.

Leave voters also tended to be English, from outside the major cities, without university education, with lower incomes and/or unemployed. Again, all groups who probably didn't think the EU was doing much for them.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:15 am

^Retired types that believe everything news papers told them

Not those that work

THEY TOOK R JEEEERRRRBBBBBSSS!!

Anyway on the lighter side
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqH21LEmfbQ
Was this song used at all?

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Gutted. The 100 of thousands of ex pats will lose free health care. Guess where they're coming when I'll?? Gove, Farage and Johnson are real working class ambassadors :roll:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:18 pm

Well I bet that result surprised a few people, especially all those who were saying "it'll never happen" :shock:

For what it's worth (despite my grumpy rants on a bad day in the other thread) I voted 'In' at the end. I agreed with all the principles of why we should leave but those running the Brexit campaign didn't provide a detailed or convincing enough plan of what would happen, just possibilities and potentials. Didn't fancy gambling on that when those campaigning to leave wouldn't be the ones in charge able to make these changes.

But now it's happened anyway so we'll just have to see what happens. Heard something about Sadiq Khan questioning whether London could remain in the Euro independent of the rest of the UK?!? Reeks of London elitism with business and loaded types bitter about "the rest of them" ruining things for them.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:23 pm

sscott wrote:Gutted. The 100 of thousands of ex pats will lose free health care. Guess where they're coming when I'll?? Gove, Farage and Johnson are real working class ambassadors :roll:
Manchester Unis science dept gets grants from the EU,
So yeah, quite a few annoyed people walking about work today
If they end up going over seas to do research, I might end up out of a job

Bloody British
THEY MADE ME LOSE MAH JREWWWWWWB!!!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:32 pm

For some reason I picked I VOTED TO STAY in the above poll when in reality I voted to leave because I'm clearly a raving racist lunatic that has no idea what is going on in the world.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Still, I bet Russia and Putin are enjoying the cracks beginning to grow in their nemesis, the EU...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:45 pm

Megamixer wrote:Still, I bet Russia and Putin are enjoying the cracks beginning to grow in their nemesis, the EU...
I suspect that by the time we officially exit (2years) the EU may be an even more fractured beast. Could today be the point from which the destruction of the EU can be measured?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:32 pm

gman72 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Still, I bet Russia and Putin are enjoying the cracks beginning to grow in their nemesis, the EU...
I suspect that by the time we officially exit (2years) the EU may be an even more fractured beast. Could today be the point from which the destruction of the EU can be measured?
I hope so. More countries will at the very least follow suit with a referendum, with the hope that they leave also and we can start trading on our own terms.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:40 pm

gman72 wrote: I suspect that by the time we officially exit (2years) the EU may be an even more fractured beast. Could today be the point from which the destruction of the EU can be measured?
Possibly. Or they could continue expansion, and expediting the admission of new EU states like Turkey - which we probably would have no veto this time round, and if we do go down the road of an optimum trade deal with the EU, we may still have to accept freedom of movement or be part of the schengen zone. Thus meaning the brexit campaigns fears of Turkish people flocking to the UK could be something which we have ironically less control of!

Of course this is probably far fetched, but we live in unpredictable times!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:13 pm

superb result :D

was always going to be short term turmoil, but we'll be better off in the long run, no question about that.

the sneering, fascist, liberal elite now in floods of tears and complete shock, brilliant :lol: :lol:

if we can get Boris as PM and Trump in the White House then 2016 will be one of the best years ever!