2016/17 Football season chat

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

dste

Re: 2016/17 Football season chat

Post by dste » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:38 pm

No idea what Hull were/are expecting, they massively messed up during pre-season with not signing anyone and managerial changes. It's surprising that that they are only three points from safety, though Swansea did just beat Crystal Palace.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:48 pm

It's that time of year when the transfer window opens; Swansea and Hull sacked their managers and expect more. Much money will be spent , will change the result very little.

As an outside bet , I would say that Flores - who was very unfairly sacked by Watford - may make a comeback.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:57 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Is Bournemouth vs Arsenal game of the season? I think it is!
Nah! the Bournemouth V Liverpool was the game of the season.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

dste

Post by dste » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:54 am

FA Cup third round weekend, woo. :D

West Ham already out and losing 0-5 to Man City.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

dste

Post by dste » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:54 am

Rooney equalled Charlton's Man Utd goal record at 249 goals scored.

Forest out of the FA Cup after losing 2-0 to Wigan.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:58 pm

FA Cup fourth round draw:

Tottenham Hotspur v Wycombe Wanderers
Derby County v Leicester City
Oxford United v Newcastle United or Birmingham City
AFC Wimbledon or Sutton United v Cambridge United or Leeds United
Plymouth Argyle or Liverpool v Wolverhampton Wanderers
Southampton or Norwich City v Arsenal
Lincoln or Ipswich v Brighton
Chelsea v Brentford
Manchester United v Wigan Athletic
Millwall v Watford
Rochdale v Huddersfield Town
Burnley or Sunderland v Fleetwood Town or Bristol City
Blackburn Rovers v Barnsley or Blackpool
Fulham v Hull City
Middlesbrough v Accrington Stanley
Crystal Palace or Bolton v Manchester City
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Apparently Payet has told West Ham that he doesn't want to play for them anymore and has been dropped from the team and training.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:43 am

Costa not playing either. Worrying news, and a sad sign of the times he'd rather skip the CL and a possible PL title to jog around in some mickey mouse pub league for more money

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Costa not playing either. Worrying news, and a sad sign of the times he'd rather skip the CL and a possible PL title to jog around in some mickey mouse pub league for more money
He's being offered 4 times as much money to do an easier job, and no doubt will be treated like a grade A celebrity over there. Hard to refuse. Also Chelsea will no doubt be offered a vast transfer fee.

Tbh I've never been a fan of Costa, so no loss to the PL imho.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

dste

Post by dste » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:16 pm

So Forest unsurprisingly sacked their manager on Saturday. It has been a case of when not if for a couple of months now. From what I saw he was a bit crap but with how badly the club is run at the moment he was up against it.

At least we are out of the transfer embargo again though the sale fell through. :roll:

Looks like Costa will not be off to China due to the rule change about the number of foreign players. It's funny how I think Friday it was China said that they were going to look into the limits to curb the excessive spending and then on Monday it happens. Over here it would probably take three seasons to implement something like that. Also Yaya Toure has apparently turned down £430,000 a week to go to China, was really surprised about that one. Thought his agent would have had him over to China the second the offer was made.

I had a feeling that Everton may beat Man City but I thought maybe a sneaky 1-0 win, not the 4-0 hammering that they gave them. Yes City had 71% possession but it doesn't matter how much you have if you don't score. Everton had 4 shots and scored 4 goals, job done. Bravo has conceded 14 of the last 22 shots that he has faced, may as well just stick Stones in goal. He cannot be any worse a goalkeeper than he is a defender. Saying that though, all of Man Citys defence was shocking against Everton.

This Matip/Cameroon saga is absolutely ridiculous. His role is to play for Liverpool, Liverpool pay his wages. He hasn't played for Cameroon since 2015, has said that he does not want to be selected and was not picked for the Cup of Nations yet could be forced to miss Liverpool games for six weeks. I bet if Liverpool invoiced Cameroon/FA for his wages whilst they cannot play him they would agree sharpish.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Watching MOTD last night and nearly spat out my coffee when Shearer said Rooney was a model pro who would play for £50 a week. The same Rooney who twice held his club to ransom for a pay rise?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:42 am

The same Rooney who can be sold now he's got the record? The same Rooney who will almost certainly be getting £700,000 a week in China this time next year?

dste

Post by dste » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:06 am

Hull have sold Snodgrass and Sunderland are being rumoured to be signing Lescott.

It's like they want to be relegated.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:30 am

dste wrote:Hull have sold Snodgrass and Sunderland are being rumoured to be signing Lescott.

It's like they want to be relegated.

I was pretty certain for most of this season that Hull would be relegated, mainly due to their extremely limited squad. Having watched their last 2 games under their new manager I'm now not so sure, but Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal in their next 3 is pretty tough!

As for Snodgrass, 7 goals in 20 appearances from midfield this season has made him pretty valuable (the rest of the team has only scored 13 between them all season), and £12m in the Prem these days is not a lot of cash. I guess we'll just have to see who the manager has in mind to replace him with.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Thanks to a family friend I got a ticket in the corporate suites for Chelsea vs Brentford today. Never watched a game in that sort of environment and it felt very bizarre spending half time sitting in a restaurant browsing a cheese board getting given free drinks. That section was about a 50/50 mix of fans and daytrippers, but some spent the whole game sitting inside watching it on tv!