2016/17 Football season chat

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

dste

Re: 2016/17 Football season chat

Post by dste » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:37 pm

Nice one to Leicester winning their first ever Champions League match 3-0.

Man Utd as excellent as usual.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:49 pm

Bye bye "Big" Sam, bloody good effort :roll:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

dste

Post by dste » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:46 pm

What an idiot. Apart from greed why oh why would you do that in this day and age of technology.

100% win record though.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:06 am

Not looking good for Coventry City, Tony Mowbray has resigned after 10 games into the new season with us root the bottom of the table, squad full of youth team players and loans, fans protesting against current owners, don't own a stadium, don't have any academy facilities and the training ground will probably be sold for a housing development!

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:56 am

I appreciate that results haven't gone the right way... but it's quite rare for a manager to walk away like that really, isn't it?
Don't suppose there's a link with the Telegraph names perhaps?

dste

Post by dste » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:42 pm

It's October and the sackings have properly begun.

Di Matteo sacked by Villa and Guidolin sacked by Swansea.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

dste

Post by dste » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:34 pm

Steve Bruce set to be Villa manager and Steve McClaren set to return to Derby.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:43 am

Looking like a long hard season for Leicester. As I suspected, they''re having a real good go at the CL, and perhaps treating it as their 'next big adventure' like they did with the Prem League last season. They seem to be saving themselves for the CL games, and this is showing in their PL games. It also really surprised me when Ranieri put out such a strong team against Chelsea in the League Cup.

Leicester were red-hot favourites for relegation at the beginning of last season, and this season they are in a far tougher position. Arguably they are a weaker team (Slimani is not a good swop for Kante), they have many more games because of the CL, more international call-ups for players. But what makes it really tough is that there is an expectation now for Leicester to do well and also opposition teams up their game, with no-one taking them lightly (hence why the likes of Liverpool, United and Chelsea have scored 3+ goals against them).

They should still have enough to keep out of trouble, and are in a much better place than the likes of Swansea, Sunderland and Hull. But I think Ranieri needs to consider what is most important this season; last year it was about concentrating on the league, first survival , then European qualification then winning the PL. This season (as has been seen in the cup competitions) that doesn't seem to be the case.

The home games against Palace and WBA - both after CL games - will be key indicators as to where their season is going.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

dste

Post by dste » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:13 pm

One of the main problems that Leicester have and which they have admitted themselves is that they cannot now grab the opposition in the box as it's now pretty much an instant penalty.

Due to this they are having less contact in the box which is resulting in conceding more goals.

Fair play to them though if they are prioritising the Champions League as they were not going to win the league again.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Yeah, there's the defensive aspect, which you'd think would affect other teams as well, and I believe it has, as I've noticed more goals already this season scored from set pieces, and possibly more penalties given.

The other aspects are losing Kante, the usual suspects have improved quite a bit, AND they are playing to their potential unlike them all being off key last season, AND CL games for the Foxes to boot. I was hoping for top six in the league, I might have to be happy with top half at this rate.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:55 pm

Mayhem wrote:Yeah, there's the defensive aspect, which you'd think would affect other teams as well, and I believe it has, as I've noticed more goals already this season scored from set pieces, and possibly more penalties given.

The other aspects are losing Kante, the usual suspects have improved quite a bit, AND they are playing to their potential unlike them all being off key last season, AND CL games for the Foxes to boot. I was hoping for top six in the league, I might have to be happy with top half at this rate.

Leicester have had a tough run of games, they seem much more comfortable (unsurprisingly) against teams outside the top 6 or 7. Like I said it looks like teams are physcing themselves up when Leicester are in town, which is why the likes of Chelsea ,Liverpool and Man Utd are beating them by some margin.

Positive news is that the next round of the CL is almost guaranteed. The absolute worst situation would have been finishing 3rd and dropping into the UEFA cup , which now seems unlikely.

I predict 12th-14th finish , which I don't think, all things considered, Ranieri will be too unhappy with. That then allows further team strengthing next Summer to make them a strong mid-table team alongside the likes of Everton and Southampton; teams unlikely to win the league but who will find it almost impossible to be relegated.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

dste

Post by dste » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:10 pm

Looks like bar a major collapse Leicester should progress to the knock-out round of the CL.

Will the owner be happy with mid-table in the PL though?

Barcelona vs Man City, wow.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:11 pm

What are the odds on Leicester winning the Champions League?? Okay, I'm only being half serious, but you know...
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:34 pm

Missing: One bus, red in colour, high mileage, last seen in Liverpool, and one professional reputation.

If found, please return to Mr J Mourinho, The Job Centre, Manchester

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:07 pm

holy censored leeds are in the playoff spots

maybe this is the season...