2016/17 Football season chat

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sureshot

Re: 2016/17 Football season chat

Post by Sureshot » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:27 pm

Villa start the season as they left off - a loss and no goals scored. Not sure why I expected anything different.

Gonna be a long season...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:56 pm

Sureshot wrote:Villa start the season as they left off - a loss and no goals scored. Not sure why I expected anything different.

Wednesday are one of the best teams at this level, with plenty of years experience in the Championship whereas for Villa it's a case of a new team with a new manager finding their feet in a new division. Rotherham at home will be the first test of what the season will bring - and it will also be an indication of how supportive the fans will be. After last season , if I were a Villa fan I'd still be pretty pissed at what's happened to my club.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:04 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sureshot wrote:Villa start the season as they left off - a loss and no goals scored. Not sure why I expected anything different.

Wednesday are one of the best teams at this level, with plenty of years experience in the Championship whereas for Villa it's a case of a new team with a new manager finding their feet in a new division. Rotherham at home will be the first test of what the season will bring - and it will also be an indication of how supportive the fans will be. After last season , if I were a Villa fan I'd still be pretty pissed at what's happened to my club.
Wednesday are coma inducingly dull at the minute. I fell asleep trying to watch that match.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:05 pm

£90m for a footballer. Crazy.

Didn't they let him go a few years ago as well?
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:13 pm

greenberet79 wrote:£90m for a footballer. Crazy.

Didn't they let him go a few years ago as well?
Massively inflated - and that's just his ego. Not a player I would choose to have in my team, would far prefer Bale.

But as has been said ,just like with Ronaldo and many of the 'big name' transfers, there will be mega bucks to be made by Man Utd in marketing alone.

Players like Pogba and Zlatan will either pull the team through, or tear them apart - all comes down to how good the boss manages the dressing room; didn't do too well at Chelsea and Real Madrid when the dressing room turned sour did he?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

dste

Post by dste » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:39 pm

greenberet79 wrote:Didn't they let him go a few years ago as well?
Yes they did. Back in 2012 if I remember correctly and because he was under 21 Man Utd received compensation of £1.5M
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:39 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:

Apparently Luton Town are even above our level, let alone Rotherham...

I can only hope this is some grand scheme by RDM to get Tony Xia to keep writing cheques. We just have too many losers in the squad.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:38 pm

So after two straight wins (4-3 over Burton and 1-2 over Doncaster) Forest resume normal service with a 3-0 loss at Brighton. :D

EFL Cup second round fixtures:

QPR v Rochdale
Scunthorpe v Bristol City
Watford v Gillingham
Peterborough v Swansea
Everton v Yeovil
Millwall v Nottingham Forest
Sunderland v Shrewsbury
Luton v Leeds
Chelsea v Bristol Rovers
Burton v Liverpool
Blackburn v Crewe
Accrington v Burnley
Crystal Palace v Blackpool
Morecambe v Bournemouth
Preston v Oldham
Oxford v Brighton
Reading v MK Dons
Fulham v Middlesbrough
Newcastle v Cheltenham
Exeter v Hull
Derby v Carlisle
Northampton v West Brom
Wolves v Cambridge
Stevenage v Stoke
Norwich v Coventry
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Don't know where to begin with my club!!

Dalian Atkinson was killed by Taser today :shock: :(
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:55 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Dalian Atkinson was killed by Taser today :shock: :(
Definitely not the headline I was expecting to see today. RIP Dalian.

Legend.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Another 4-3 win for Forest, this time over Wigan.

It's going to be a fun season...

I don't think Joe Hart is that great a keeper but the way Man City are treating him is crap. People go on about players having no loyalty to clubs and then he does for a decade and then that.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

dste

Post by dste » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:12 pm

According to reports Forest are going to sign Nicklas Bendtner. Hmmmmm.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:27 am

Going back to the £90m for Pogba thing. Not checked the background info, but it's on the internet so it must be true.

Zlatan = £0m transfer, £76m in shirt sales
Pogba = £90m transfer, £190m in shirt sales, in three days.

Of course, the large majority of that goes to the shirt manufacturer, but you can see where the money goes/comes in if it's correct (and it wouldn't surprise me if it was).

It is of course, f**king ridiculous that that kind of money is spent on footballers. the money coming into the game should have meant that the facilities throughout the leagues and lower leagues improved, and things like match-day ticket prices get reduced, but the only thing it meant in real terms was that a £5m player suddenly became a £15-25m player in the last transfer window. :roll:

dste

Post by dste » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:19 pm

Yeah, some of the transfer fees were ridiculous and I mean some of the £20-30million ones like you mention.

The real winners in the Sissoko transfer were Newcastle and Everton. £30M for a player who had a couple of good games at the Euros.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:47 pm

This must be Goal of The Season Contender already

Spennymoor Town's Goalkeeper scored a 80 Yard goal in the FA Cup 1st Qualying Round game Away to Radcliffe Borough just under a couple of weeks ago - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37274343

The footage that is used is done by me - i record the games and me and my dad edit and upload the highlights to Spennymoor's YT page - it's been a massive hit with 10,000 views on the video and 20,000 on the original video that was up
I've been the camera man for the club since 2005 :)

It's made news over in alot of countries
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)