EURO 2016- the one we're all hoping Brits stay in

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

paranoid marvin

Re: EURO 2016- the one we're all hoping Brits stay in

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:10 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Alan shearer talking some sense.

We played a system that worked all through qualifying and friendlies and discarded it for this tournament.

Wales team are all players that came through the same academies as the English lads, and in fact half the wales team were born in England and some even played for England at youth level.

Difference is Wales played players in positions they know and a system that plays to their strengths.

What Hodgson did at the finals was bizarre, completely unexplainable; completely change your team, style and tactics after a 100% perfect qualify, drop players cos they're not fit or playing well then reinstate them, again for no reason. And afterwards wonder why anyone would hold you responsible. Utterly unreal.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:14 pm

We played Germany in a friendly and the German press were raving about the way England played and tipped them to be major contenders.

Comfortable all through qualifying.

Then just abandons everything.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:38 pm

Don't think Robson-Kanu is going to be out of a club after that turn and goal...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:42 pm

Brilliant, Well done Wales.

Fully deserved.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:53 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Alan shearer talking some sense.

We played a system that worked all through qualifying and friendlies and discarded it for this tournament.

Wales team are all players that came through the same academies as the English lads, and in fact half the wales team were born in England and some even played for England at youth level.

Difference is Wales played players in positions they know and a system that plays to their strengths.

What Hodgson did at the finals was bizarre, completely unexplainable; completely change your team, style and tactics after a 100% perfect qualify, drop players cos they're not fit or playing well then reinstate them, again for no reason. And afterwards wonder why anyone would hold you responsible. Utterly unreal.
Jack Wilshere. That is all.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:55 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:SEMI FINALS?!?!?!?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Fixed... bloody hell, that was good! Nervy, but good!

Thing is I don't think Portugal are as good as Belgium...

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:56 pm

Congrats to Wales! :) Really, really well played. And Portugal in the semifinal is definitely beatable, even if Ramsay will be out.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:59 pm

Incredible achievement making it to the semis, who knows what could happen now.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:02 pm

that was fantastic, really gutsy performance.

When it was 1-0 I thought it was over and that Wales would play well but would get denied.

I like being wrong :lol:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:27 pm

What a great result, tremendous. The team beat the individuals, and that's exactly the way it SHOULD be.

Yes Belgium have better players than Portugal (with one possible exception) , but Portugal are a team; a very tough and resilient unit. Will be a close game, but I think that the loss of Ramsey and Davies are a real hammer blow, as Wales don't have players anywhere near their quality (esp Ramsey).

But regardless of whatever happens in the semis, Wales have done a truly remarkable thing, and at last England have been well and truly knocked off their perch as king of the home teams. I'm an England fan, and I'm glad - because I hope that this realisation will at last shake up the FA into realising that the Premier League isn't the be-all and end-all when it comes to squad selection, that a price tag or the club a player plays for should have no bearing on selection and that money earned (via marketing etc) from having crowd-pulling football idols in the team should take a back seat to success in tournaments. It's an absolute disgrace that only one Leicester player made it into Hodgson's squad, and even then it was at the last minute.

But forget about that, Ronaldo vs Bale - bring it on, and COME ON WALES!!!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:33 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:What a great result, tremendous. The team beat the individuals, and that's exactly the way it SHOULD be.

Yes Belgium have better players than Portugal (with one possible exception) , but Portugal are a team; a very tough and resilient unit. Will be a close game, but I think that the loss of Ramsey and Davies are a real hammer blow, as Wales don't have players anywhere near their quality (esp Ramsey).

But regardless of whatever happens in the semis, Wales have done a truly remarkable thing, and at last England have been well and truly knocked off their perch as king of the home teams. I'm an England fan, and I'm glad - because I hope that this realisation will at last shake up the FA into realising that the Premier League isn't the be-all and end-all when it comes to squad selection, that a price tag or the club a player plays for should have no bearing on selection and that money earned (via marketing etc) from having crowd-pulling football idols in the team should take a back seat to success in tournaments. It's an absolute disgrace that only one Leicester player made it into Hodgson's squad, and even then it was at the last minute.

But forget about that, Ronaldo vs Bale - bring it on, and COME ON WALES!!!
Well apart from drinkwater, who else would you have in.

Albrighton and Simpson were the only other English players to have any decent amount of play time. I would not have called either of those 2 up either.

Also bear in mind, when England ans Wales shared the pitch. England were easily the better team.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:14 pm

Bit of a giant-killing performance there...Belgium are supposed to be ranked No.2 in the world? In any case, it was a great game from a neutral perspective. No flat spots and all the goals were fantastic. Completely shat all over the dull-as-dishwater England matches.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:41 am

Excellent Wales, really. I liked how they immediately hit back after Belgium scored, and how they kept attacking after the 1-1, demolishing the Belgians' confidence. Great goals, but also the defenders (Williams, Taylor) have been a nice surprise to me so far.

So, Italy-Germany tonight, unluckily most of our midfield is out (De Rossi, Candreva, Motta, plus Verratti and Marchisio), it will be hard to mantain our winning streak with the Germans... which side would you like to see winning? 8)

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:56 am

It would be funny to see Italia beat Germany in a tournament once again, but Germany are a skilful, open side with a better style of play than 20 years ago: it would have been a good final.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Go Wales! That is all! :D