EURO 2016- the one we're all hoping Brits stay in

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Liamh1982

Re: EURO 2016- the one we're all hoping Brits stay in

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:55 pm

QUARTER FINALS?!?!?!?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Commiserations to Northern Ireland who to be honest just shaded what was a dog of a game (although still nowhere near as bad as Croatia v Portugal).

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:10 pm

all the games today were poor, thought they would open up a bit now it's the knockout stages but still very dull.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:43 pm

Yeah, all games were poor, all the teams looked like they were playing to not lose rather than try to win...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:06 am

Well done to the Welsh on getting through and commiserations to N.I.

Was looking forward to Portugal v Croatia but the game was utter garbage bar the last couple of minutes of Extra time.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:39 am

We're looking at the first major football tournament in history to have a goal average less than 2 a game. It's obvious what's happening to the sport, and it needs to change. I'm not interested in watching organisation, tactics and fear dominate every game, but what's the solution? We need one quick.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:53 am

Spector wrote:We're looking at the first major football tournament in history to have a goal average less than 2 a game. It's obvious what's happening to the sport, and it needs to change. I'm not interested in watching organisation, tactics and fear dominate every game, but what's the solution? We need one quick.
How about the British nations leave UEFA and form a home nations tournament? Perhaps we should hold a vote?
:lol: :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:57 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
Spector wrote:We're looking at the first major football tournament in history to have a goal average less than 2 a game. It's obvious what's happening to the sport, and it needs to change. I'm not interested in watching organisation, tactics and fear dominate every game, but what's the solution? We need one quick.
How about the British nations leave UEFA and form a home nations tournament? Perhaps we should hold a vote?
:lol: :lol:
I'm voting UEFexit :D
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:30 am

Hmmm, how about something similar to Ice Hockey or 20-20 Cricket? You can only have a certain number of players in the penalty area at the same time, or you must keep at least X players up field at all times? Would stop teams parking the bus for starters.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:06 am

"ADDED TIME MULTI-BALL!"
Going Solo...................

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:35 pm

Well the Belgium game was certainly more entertaining. Between their 4-0 win and Germany's 3-0 earlier on, the goal count has suddenly ramped up a touch.

Hungary outplayed any expectations people had for them and kept on fighting til the end but were certainly flawed defensively. Belgium looked lethal in the second half but I can't see 4 goals getting past Wales.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Germany remain the favourites for the victory, they've also found their striker (Gomez), they create lots of goal chances, they're a notch above everyone else.

Belgium were impressive today but against stronger teams (Wales included)... I'm not sure. I don't see them winning the tournament.

Spain remain the biggest challenger, our chances against them tomorrow are slim at best. And then France that seem to be good at dodging bullets and coming out of difficult situations.

Won't be an easy match for England tomorrow, but I still see them as favourites.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:04 am

That Belgian display was exactly what I needed to see. [/sarcasm]

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:16 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I admit I hadn't enjoyed and "felt" a match of our national team like this one for a while :) I liked them, their approach, a team with no primadonnas but great focus and teamwork. From the anthems you could tell they were out for revenge and in the end, revenge it was. Great game.

Now the Germans. Italy is the underdog again but who knows.

Actually with Germany it's become quite fun over the years, every time we encounter them they start with "ah Italia, pizza mandolino, we're going to get revenge for the 1000000 times you've beaten us!"... and the next day we win for the 1000001th time :lol: it won't be easy, but I hope for history to repeat itself.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:29 pm

ffs Stirling back in for England - does form really have nothing to do with getting into Hodgson's first team. Yes England will qualify, and yes Stirling may play well, but that doesn't excuse his selection. No way will Hodgson want or be offered a new contract by England.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:44 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Yes England will qualify
:shock: :shock:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward