EURO 2016- the one we're all hoping Brits stay in

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Treguard

EURO 2016- the one we're all hoping Brits stay in

Post by Treguard » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:41 pm

Didn't see a thread for the tournament so thought I'd start one. One match down- first half was a bit dire, but the second- THAT goal by Payet? Ooooffff. Listened to the BBC Commentary though- Thierry Henry starts every sentence with 'listen' like he's sodding Navi from Ocarina of Time...

HalcyonDaze00

Re: EURO 2016- the one we're all hoping Brits stay in

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:11 pm

France to win it

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:44 pm

Well, personally I think England should follow the example of Scotland, who secured an opt-out to this disgraceful spectacle in the qualifying stages, but go one better and leave UEFA entirely. It's just another level of footballing bureaucracy that's not needed and all these foreign players that come to the country are just taking jobs away from the local talent and diluting the indigenous culture with their abilities to shoot straight and pass the ball; why, some of them even talk in complete sentences in the post-match interviews and we can't be having that. :wink:

Seriously, I'd reckon that Belgium are in with a shot. They've had a talented side for a few years now and have quietly crept up to second in the FIFA rankings behind Argentina,even holding the top spot for a while last year, but haven't yet had much silverware to show for it.

England ought to make the third round as they've got a fairly easy group - the potential embarrassment of losing to Wales is probably their biggest worry - and would face one of the third place teams in the second round. I suppose anything could happen once a team's at that stage, but I don't think they've got the players to take on the better sides at the moment.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:21 pm

Matt_B wrote:Well, personally I think England should follow the example of Scotland, who secured an opt-out to this disgraceful spectacle
Too late! It appears England are creating this "disgraceful spectacle". Well, the fans are anyway! :oops:

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:11 am

Not sure all of us are wanting all Brits to stay in!!

Anyway absolutely buzzing for it. I love international football like Peter Andre loves his kids & I get obsessed when a big tournament rolls round.

Still coming to terms with Northern Ireland being part of it all, I've been waiting for this moment for 30 years.

I organised a sweepstake in work, wish I hadn't have bothered now, I got France & my 2 best friends got Germany and Spain...now everybody's whinging that it was a fix. Sure it's mostly tounge in cheek...but it's starting to really bug me & it's made something that was supposed to be light hearted and fun into a pain in the hole.

Anyway really enjoyed the game last night, Romania put up a very spirited fight but France's class showed through & what a goal to clinch it.

Looking forward to the Wales & England games today.... And of course the BIG one tomorrow.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:44 am

You never know. Northern Ireland could be the surprise "Leicester City" of the championships.

I suspect England will win one of the group games convincingly which will lead to the national belief we can rule the world, only to be taken down again by a red card and penalties in the quarter finals.

Our group isn't easy though. Wales have Bale and Ramsay, and both Slovakia and Russia are technically former winners of the tournament (as Czechoslovakia and USSR) where as we lack that Euro winning pedigree. 50 years of hurt??

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:53 am

England have a good section: not too hard, and the runner up plays another runner up in the next round rather than a group winner, unlike a couple of the other groups. The bottom line though is I don't think they're good enough to win it; the quarter finals looks a good bet for them. The other three countries we're interested in will struggle to get into round two judging by who they're up against. The winner should be from France, Germany and Spain.

Looking forward to being proven completely wrong!
Last edited by Spector on Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:53 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:You never know. Northern Ireland could be the surprise "Leicester City" of the championships.
....and England could be the Villa.... :(
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:28 am

Spector wrote: The winner should be from France, Germany and Spain.

Mystic Spector with his wild prediction of the winner being France (hosts), Spain (current holders) or the world champions and dominant Germans :P

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:10 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Spector wrote: The winner should be from France, Germany and Spain.

Mystic Spector with his wild prediction of the winner being France (hosts), Spain (current holders) or the world champions and dominant Germans :P
You're just annoyed I didn't predict your spiritual home Russia would win it. Okay, so they technically aren't the USSR, but close enough :P :P :P

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:24 am

Spector wrote: You're just annoyed I didn't predict your spiritual home Russia would win it. Okay, so they technically aren't the USSR, but close enough :P :P :P
England have a pathetic record in this competition :D . We (England) managed to reach the semi finals once in '96....meanwhile the Soviet Union has won it, and been runner up on 3 occasions. The Red Army rules! :mrgreen:

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:40 am

France are missing too many key players to be among the favourites. Germany, Spain and Belgium are the best teams in my opinion.
Some others could have a chance of winning (France and England among them), but I'd bet my money on those three.

Italy have an appalling team, easily our worst ever, the octave finals would already be an achievement.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:46 pm

Another 45 minutes of that will do nicely - we REALLY should have had a penalty though. Skrtel getting away with rash challenges AGAIN.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:50 pm

Well now we have footage of Wales scoring in a major tournament... IN COLOUR!!

Great first half for the Welsh. Playing really well.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Wonderful result for Bales- they can just about smell the last sixteen now!