Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sel Feena

Re: Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:39 pm

^ The only work of his I've read are the two Elder Scrolls books he's done (very good). Right now leafing through Assholes: A Theory, by Aaron James. Very funny and readable stuff, just on a section now where he's working through different categories of asshole. :)

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu May 15, 2014 2:03 pm

Blood Song by Anthony Ryan. Now this is a rather wonderful read indeed.

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Mon May 19, 2014 10:15 am

I'm reading this one - "My Early Years" by Winston Churchill (different edition though).

Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:01 am

The Devil in the Marshalsea by Antonia Hodgson, very good so far.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:28 am

English Invader wrote:The last book I read was Doctor Sleep. It's a sequel to The Shining that was written by Stephen King 36 years after the original book was published.

The story follows Danny as a grown adult. He's a recovering alcoholic (just like his old man) who works at a hospice and uses his Shining ability to provide comfort and reassurance to people who are dying. He also comes into contact with a 12 year old girl who has an even stronger Shining ability and he acts as a mentor to her in her battle against the evil forces that are lurking.

As a big fan of the original book/mini-series and Kubrick film, this was an absolute must-read for me. The story covers a very broad period and includes a lot of references to major social/political events in American history (including 9/11). It's almost like a panoramic sketch of America in the John Steinbeck mould. A good book, but very different to The Shining.
I enjoyed it but thought the bad guys were to easilly thwarted in the end, still a good read.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Just finished Angel Fire East by Terry Brooks & a third the way through Path of Revenge by Russell Kirkpatrick. Wasn't too sure if I'd enjoy this one, but so far so good.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:45 am

Moved onto A Storm of Swords Part 2: Blood and Gold. Going to have to clear some space on the shelf and get the next books in I think!

The events of the last few chapters I've just read (pages 122-149) have been truly shocking :shock: . Brilliant stuff.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:16 am

Finished Mr Mercedes this week.

I really enjoyed it. A nice change of pace for Mr King.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:51 am

Currently reading "At Home" by Bill Bryson, 50 pages for each room of the house, telling the history of how it came to be and all that. Thirty pages on the history of the lightbulb, who'd've thought that'd be so interesting?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Mallo

Post by Mallo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:27 pm

Just reading Xerox Ferox by John Szpunar at the moment. An 800-page epic about the horror fanzine scene of the early '80s and '90s, Really excellent read, written in a Q&A interview style, so it's very easy to read. Bob Martin, the first editor of Fangoria, gives an excellent, frank interview, as do thirty other individuals involved in the scene. If you like horror films, and/or magazines, you'll probably find this book interesting.

Anyone on here ever get into the fanzine scene back then? Or even produce a fanzine?

sludgefeast.co.uk - the slimy underbelly of human existence Image Image Image

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:07 pm

Started reading Justice for all: The Truth about Metallica.

It's the new revised edition so covers everything from the actual birth of the members up until present day. It's unauthorised so doesn't include interviews with the band members but it's been an OK read so far.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:17 pm

Diary of an 80s Computer Geek.

Only a few chapters in, finding it an easy nostalgic read which is very evocative of the period. Very much one man's experience of the time, I'd suggest it to any fan of early 80s gaming, but especially Spectrum fans.

A few typos and stuff, could use a further proof read, but for 77p it's hard to complain and doesn't really get in the way of the story.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Just started Thief's Magic by Trudi Canavan which looks to be very good indeed. And nearly finished A Dance of Blades by David Dalglish which is hugely enjoyable.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Diary of an 80s Computer Geek.

Only a few chapters in, finding it an easy nostalgic read which is very evocative of the period. Very much one man's experience of the time, I'd suggest it to any fan of early 80s gaming, but especially Spectrum fans.

A few typos and stuff, could use a further proof read, but for 77p it's hard to complain and doesn't really get in the way of the story.
Finished it. Very short, but good, well worth the 77p. Apparently there has been a revision that fixes the typos, so now even better value than my early download.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:27 am

Finished Justice for all: The Truth about Metallica.

Once it got going I thought that it was a good book, though I thought that the author could have toned back their opinion just a little every now and then.

Overall though I would recommend it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!