Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:28 am

Sel Feena wrote:Picked up a big-ass compilation of Lovecraft, never read any of that stuff before and wanted to see what I'd been missing out on.
Any thoughts on this?

I read loads in my 20s, I think k it may be worth revisiting.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:19 am

^ I've been taking my time with it, have only just worked through the first story, Call of Cthulhu. Quite impressed actually, the language used definitely adds to the overall atmosphere. Although, and I know it's a cardinal sin to apply current moral standards to works that were created in previous times, I couldn't help but baulk a little at what I perceived as some vaguely racist elements.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:30 am

Hmm, that's interesting, I've not read it in 20 years. More inclined to do so now to see that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:00 am

The last book I read was Doctor Sleep. It's a sequel to The Shining that was written by Stephen King 36 years after the original book was published.

The story follows Danny as a grown adult. He's a recovering alcoholic (just like his old man) who works at a hospice and uses his Shining ability to provide comfort and reassurance to people who are dying. He also comes into contact with a 12 year old girl who has an even stronger Shining ability and he acts as a mentor to her in her battle against the evil forces that are lurking.

As a big fan of the original book/mini-series and Kubrick film, this was an absolute must-read for me. The story covers a very broad period and includes a lot of references to major social/political events in American history (including 9/11). It's almost like a panoramic sketch of America in the John Steinbeck mould. A good book, but very different to The Shining.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:05 pm

The Circle by Dave Eggers, very good so far, 1984esque

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Finished Eyes of the Dragon which was a kids version prequel to Dark Tower.. Didn't use Randell Flagg enough and if he's allegedly immortal and been alive for century's from the Kings executioner to the Kings advisor! If so the Dark Tower Wizards & Glass makes no sense.. Everybody would know who Flagg was not to mention how easily Mordrid kills Flagg in the other book.. Roland and Oye beat Mordred just as easily..

Also finished Dr Sleep damn fine read but hated Older Danny near the beginning and almost gave up.. Wasn't expecting it to be supernatural Then the 'True Knot' and the overlook came into it and it became proper King horror
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:56 pm

Shinobi wrote:Finished Eyes of the Dragon which was a kids version prequel to Dark Tower.. Didn't use Randell Flagg enough and if he's allegedly immortal and been alive for century's from the Kings executioner to the Kings advisor! If so the Dark Tower Wizards & Glass makes no sense.. Everybody would know who Flagg was not to mention how easily Mordrid kills Flagg in the other book.. Roland and Oye beat Mordred just as easily..
I'm not sure it takes place in the same universe anyway. The Dark Tower books are in a separate world still linked to the real world but I'm positive that Eyes of the Dragon is a completely different fantasy world with no real links to the other books. It's one of my favourites just because it's different :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Finished Game of Thrones last night. Really was a fantastic read :) . I picked up A Clash of Kings from WHSmith the other day so I can get straight into that next.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:00 pm

Megamixer wrote:Finished Game of Thrones last night. Really was a fantastic read :) . I picked up A Clash of Kings from WHSmith the other day so I can get straight into that next.
yep, as soon as I had finished the 1st I bought the next one straight away, read them all one after the other, best series of books I have ever read.

I think this is the best way to read them, when they were 1st published there was a huge gap between a couple of the books and lots of readers complained that although they loved the story they had lost track of what was going on. As you will find out, the books branch out on an epic scale, characters come and go all the time, by reading them together its easier to keep it all together in your head with whats going on.

Fingers crossed that GRRM finishes the series.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:59 am

Cross My Heart by James Patterson. Not grabbing me in the way that most of his other novels do.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:10 am

The Ridge by Michael Koryta, fantastic so far.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:54 pm

Moon's Artifice by Tom Lloyd. Not too sure about this one. Read 50 pages & decided to return it to the library, but then decided against it & continued to read it. :?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Finished A Clash of Kings last night and wow, a helluva lot of stuff happens in the last few chapters! Took advantage of WHSmith's 'buy one, get another 1/2 price' offer and picked up both parts of A Storm of Swords so there's no stopping :)

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:55 pm

A Knight of the Word by Terry Brooks. Good as always.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:21 pm

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. I read it at secondary school but thought I'd like to read it again - very good.