Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

oli_lar

Re: Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by oli_lar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:30 am

After finishing Excession I think I'll go back and go to the start of the culture novels. Have you read any of his non Culture books? Against a drak background was good, though seemed to take a few random tangents from what I remember.

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:42 am

I'm using Goodreads which is recommended:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1322081

Currently reading:

Necronomicon: The Journal of Horror and Erotic Cinema: Bk.5

Gothic Short Stories (Wordsworth Classics)
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:12 am

oli_lar wrote:After finishing Excession I think I'll go back and go to the start of the culture novels. Have you read any of his non Culture books? Against a drak background was good, though seemed to take a few random tangents from what I remember.
I can't remember a lot about Against A Dark Background, I just went and read the wikipedia page to try and refresh my memory (which is poor at the best of times) and I still can't remember it! I know I've read it though, remember the cover. Maybe one for a re-read.

The Algebraist is non-Culture but pretty much in the same vein. I haven't read any of his non-genre fiction (the stuff without the middle initial).

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:31 am

Coopdevil wrote:
oli_lar wrote:After finishing Excession I think I'll go back and go to the start of the culture novels. Have you read any of his non Culture books? Against a drak background was good, though seemed to take a few random tangents from what I remember.
I can't remember a lot about Against A Dark Background, I just went and read the wikipedia page to try and refresh my memory (which is poor at the best of times) and I still can't remember it! I know I've read it though, remember the cover. Maybe one for a re-read.

The Algebraist is non-Culture but pretty much in the same vein. I haven't read any of his non-genre fiction (the stuff without the middle initial).
I struggled to remember the main theme of the book too until I had a look at the wikipedia entry - it didn't seem to really elabourate on what/how the lazy gun is and many details (hovercraft pirates, robot city, the religious sect etc) don't seem to correlate. I guess in Culture novels this would be better if you'd read the previous books and could fill in the gaps, but here as there is no background info external to the book and especially as this was the first book I read by him I got the feeling of being somewhat lost about the background story.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:19 am

takesages wrote:I'm currently on book 4 of the WOT.. Otherland looks good, how heavy is the science part? I'm not usually a fan of hard Sci-Fi...
I don't recollect very much science-talk in Otherland, and certainly nothing that was off-putting. The more difficult aspect was the use of Net-speak (or some such) on occasions, and the v/o abbreviations/spiel at the start of each chapter. Nothing to worry about, though. Well, nothing for web users, anyway; anyone new to or alien to the WWWeb might find it a bit of a trudge at times.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:58 am

Just started Lords of the bow by Conn Iggulden, the second book of the genghis khan series.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:02 am

I am about half way through Chris Evans autobiography it's not to bad but have read worse.Never knew his first wife was Carol Mcgiffin off loose women .He certainly had some nice women as well for a funny looking ginger bloke.I guess it's the millions he has in the bank.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:34 am

The last couple of books I finished were The Boss (John Gregory's biography) and 1984. Currently reading Cantona.

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:02 pm

I'm about to start A. Sapkowski's Sword of Destiny from The Witcher series (the game was based on the books and takes place after them).
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:50 am

Currently reading Different Seasons bu Stephen King which includes The Shawshank Redemption as one of its four stories.

Shawshank was pretty good but I'm currently on the third story which is proving to be the best - The Body.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:45 am

Megamixer wrote:Currently reading Different Seasons bu Stephen King which includes The Shawshank Redemption as one of its four stories.

Shawshank was pretty good but I'm currently on the third story which is proving to be the best - The Body.
'The body' is what became 'stand by me' isnt it?

Always fancied reading Kings shorts. I've heard the Running Man is actually pretty good.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:45 am

Not a big reader but I picked up 'Bill Hicks - Love all the people' the other week and I'm certainly enjoying it. That man was an inspiration.

retro-cube

Post by retro-cube » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:56 am

in the halloween spirit:

Creepy Crawls: A Horror Fiend’s Travel Guide by Leon Marcelo

some of the places are real and some fiction, coolest 380 pages i ever read !
you put the lime in a coconut and call me in the morning

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:47 am

Just read Return to Labyrinth seems I read all the easy books compared to a lot of people here.. Also reading Battle Royale depressing book that
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:25 am

ismellicecream wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Currently reading Different Seasons bu Stephen King which includes The Shawshank Redemption as one of its four stories.

'The body' is what became 'stand by me' isnt it?
No idea mate, is that a film? It's about four kids who go off on long journey down a se of railroad tracks to see a dead body if that helps.

I don't tend to watch the film adaptions in case they distort the image I've built up in my head of the characters, setting etc.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.