Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

aztecca

Re: Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by aztecca » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:37 pm

Not reading at the minute but this thread inspired me to go and buy "grits" by Niall Griffiths .I read it about 5 years ago and then lent it to someone who Ive not seen since.It's kinda like trainspotting but set in Wales best book Ive ever read :D
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:09 pm

last book i finish reading was -gaspipe-confessions of a mob boss *i have alot of crime/history/bio books

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:00 pm

Currently working through Children of Dune. I have all six Frank Herbert Dune books, although 'Heretics' is still sitting in the sorting office waiting to be collected.

I like reading series from start to finish. Last time I did it was with Stephen King's Dark Tower series, but that took months.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:29 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:I like reading series from start to finish. Last time I did it was with Stephen King's Dark Tower series, but that took months.
I read these a few years ago, the fourth book was a waste of time and the series ending was cheap and unoriginal. Only time I've ever read fantasy novels, never will again.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:24 pm

The Angry Jock wrote:
Ferret Oxide wrote:I like reading series from start to finish. Last time I did it was with Stephen King's Dark Tower series, but that took months.
I read these a few years ago, the fourth book was a waste of time and the series ending was cheap and unoriginal. Only time I've ever read fantasy novels, never will again.
I agree to an extent. Having read the epilogue I wish I'd stopped at the 'first' ending. The fourth book basically spent 800 pages explaining something about Roland's character that could have been done in a couple of paragraphs.

In fairness, they're not the best example of fantasy books. I musch prefer science fiction to fantasy, though. Most fantasy writers seem to be trying to write the next Lord of the Rings, and it isn't going to happen.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:29 am

Ferret Oxide wrote: I musch prefer science fiction to fantasy, though.
Beleive it or not Authur C. Clarke put me off sci-fi books for life, 2010 is a watchable film but the book enraged me constantly. I can't remember why as this was a good 6 years ago. Fiction is just not for me.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

takesages

Post by takesages » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:31 am

The Angry Jock wrote: I read these a few years ago, the fourth book was a waste of time and the series ending was cheap and unoriginal. Only time I've ever read fantasy novels, never will again.
Completely disagree - the fourth book was probably the best of all of them and the fact it was the one they choose to make the first graphic novel with, I assume I'm not alone, either. It gave Roland some much needed character that was missing for the first few books.

The ending was alright, but it was never about the ending, anyway.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:37 am

takesages wrote:
The Angry Jock wrote: I read these a few years ago, the fourth book was a waste of time and the series ending was cheap and unoriginal. Only time I've ever read fantasy novels, never will again.
Completely disagree - the fourth book was probably the best of all of them and the fact it was the one they choose to make the first graphic novel with, I assume I'm not alone, either. It gave Roland some much needed character that was missing for the first few books.

The ending was alright, but it was never about the ending, anyway.

For me , The Drawing Of The Three is the best , but I can't say any are actually bad. I guess to fully appreciate the series you must really have read the majority of King's other work , as the story is in many ways a voyage through the author's mind. As for the ending ; well I'm not sure how else it COULD have ended , but I can understand why some may be disappointed. As for unoriginal - well , without giving anything away, I can't remember reading a story before that ended in a similar way.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:57 am

takesages wrote:
So King give him 800 pages?! Come on, you have to admit that Wizard & Glass is excessive. The vast majority (90%+) of that book did nothing to drive the story forward, they could've just released it as a stand alone book.

I can't tell you enough how relieved I was to get that book out if the way.
Retropassion reborn

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:01 am

The Angry Jock wrote:
takesages wrote:
So King give him 800 pages?! Come on, you have to admit that Wizard & Glass is excessive. The vast majority (90%+) of that book did nothing to drive the story forward, they could've just released it as a stand alone book.

I can't tell you enough how relieved I was to get that book out if the way.

Sorry , I thought you meant the ending of the story overall , not just that book. Yeah , I agreed W&G is not the greatest , but obv the ending of that book is only the prequel to the next.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:32 am

Currently reading Excession by Iain M. Banks. Good so far from what I've read, he really does have an excellent ability to invent incredibly abstract and imaginative ideas. I've also read against a dark background and a song of stone by him before.

Also got Charlie Brooker's Screenburn (collection of his newspaper columns) on the go for the throne visits.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:51 pm

Recently, I've been reading my old CU Amiga mags.
It's given me a massive nostalgia trip!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:52 am

The War Of The Flowers - Tad Williams

For anyone put off for one reason or another from reading Fantasy, try the following two series: The Wheel Of Time - Robert Jordan; Otherland - Tad Williams.

TWOT is heralded as a LOTR beater, though it will be a couple of years yet before the final book is released (currently 11 in the sequence!). Epic doesn't quite describe it accurately.
Otherland is Virtual Reality on a level beyond belief.

takesages

Post by takesages » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:54 am

I'm currently on book 4 of the WOT.. Otherland looks good, how heavy is the science part? I'm not usually a fan of hard Sci-Fi...

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:03 am

oli_lar wrote:Currently reading Excession by Iain M. Banks. Good so far from what I've read, he really does have an excellent ability to invent incredibly abstract and imaginative ideas. I've also read against a dark background and a song of stone by him before.
I've read all of the Culture novels except for Matter (his most recent one) which I've got to about halfway through about three times now before something happens to make me put it down for a couple of weeks and I forget where I was. I recommend Player of Games, Use of Weapons or Look to Windward. For the weird and abstract creations that Banks comes up with try Feersum Enjin or Matter (the worlds of each book seem to be almost computer game level structures extrapolated out to be a fully-fledged environment) or the Algebraist which explores life inside a gas giant.