Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

djcarlos

Re: Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by djcarlos » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:46 am

mohicankid wrote: just read moab is my washpot...stephen fry's book about his life in boarding school...a verry good read but not advised if you have a problem with homosexuality!
Yeah that is a great book...I was more shocked with his criminal revelations to be honest.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:20 pm

I am currently reading Richard Hawkins' The God Delusion.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:52 pm

mohicankid wrote:yes they do!
quite a few are taboo too!

i'm currently making my way through the 100 greatest novels on the ds...on oliver twist now!...i've read most of them before, but a lot of them were dumbed down kids versions...its nice to read them in their orrigional format...easier than a real book too!
Next time gaming is criticised for ruining our society I'll politely point them in the direction of Mr Herbert then who has been putting these books out since the 70's.

Seriously, some of the stuff in 'The Fog' was unbelievable (won't repeat it here) and there also one called 'Once' which features many such scenes including a 5-6 page girl-on-girl section :shock: (brain exploded). In any case, he's a great writer imo with a talent for crafting an engrossing story out of such simple horror concepts and I put him up there with Stephen King as one of my all time favourites.

I had a go with that DS Book thing too and it was alright, no use whatsoever if you've had enough of using screens for one day though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:43 pm

I am coming to the end of Wolf of the Plains by Conn Iggulden. The first of a set of books about Genghis Khan. Really good.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:45 pm

Reding American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:50 pm

A biography of Peter Cook
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:04 pm

jdanddiet wrote:I am currently reading Richard Hawkins' The God Delusion.
I read most of that but got fed up with Dawkins' viewpoints which are basically that he despises religion yet is so fervently atheist that it becomes a religion for him. So I donated my copy to the Christian Aid charity shop. :P

Last night I started The Hobbit for the rest time in many a year. Surprised at how well-written a lot of it is. For a writer known for being wordy and verbose he can create atmospheric descriptions of Middle Earth with a surprising economy of words.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Just finished Stephen Baxter's Manifold series - Time, Space, and Origin - and now reading One Giant Leap, the story of Apollo 11. Fascinating.

kebabage

Post by kebabage » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:38 pm

I decided this year that I was going to read a book, or a few since they are easy to pick up at car boots now.
I havent really got any and just picked up a Pike book from under my bed - It isnt what I intended on reading,
but this book has inner stories aswell so it has quite some variety and comes to terms with real life, past lifes and death.

Ideally I want a good read on native americans and some british history - any suggestions?
Giant Hairy Cabbages!

takesages

Post by takesages » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:53 pm

I am working my way through the Wheel of Time series. I'm at book 4 and I've loved everything so far.

The only fault I can find in any of these books is that every single female character has the same attitude towards men which basically boils down to "men are useless, silly men, why are men so dumb all they are good for is lifting things!"

It's annoying because many of them are otherwise great characters. It's also not needed at all becuase many of female characters are more powerful than the guys anyway :/

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Hellraisers

It's hilarious, I've been caught LOLing in public places the last few days.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:20 pm

Probably something to get laughed out of the thread at but after being constantly nagged by my sister to at least try them, I've been reading those Twilight books. Amazingly, I've read three out of the four already.

Will have to get back to some proper stuff a.k.a Stephen King (grisly murders, cool supernatural stuff) and James Herbert (same again but with added sex) once I've gotten the last one out of the way.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:25 pm

Almosdt halfway through Agatha Christie's ABC Murders, which is pretty damn good.

Can anyone recommend me some crime books from the 70's or 80's, I'm looking for something that's like the movie "Frantic" if anyone saw that.
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:47 pm

Well just the Street Fighter 4 comics at the moment.> Gave up on Clive Barkers Book of Blood way to depressing the guy is mental.. One story some kid was pretending contacting ghosts on a Ouija Boardand they carved there stories into his flesh, under his fingernails and everywhere making him a book of blood..

Also The greatest Human Journeys but hard reading..

Finished recently Star Wars early Victories and The Halfing Gem read a lot when I'm in the mood
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:33 pm

I am flitting between Dungeons and Desktops for those longer sessions, and The Zombie Survival Guide while on the bog.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.