Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

rocky1980

Re: Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by rocky1980 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Cacharodons: Red Tithe (Warhammer 40,000)
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon May 15, 2017 3:26 pm

Ready Player One. I'm just over half way through it, and I'm really liking it.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the film.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Ready Player One

Great read :D
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu May 18, 2017 5:39 pm

rocky1980 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 4:17 pm
Ready Player One

Great read :D
It is! I'm really close to the end. I'm struggling to put it down.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu May 18, 2017 10:07 pm

I just read the Gavin Smith trilogy of Age of Scorpio, Quantum Mythology and Beauty of Destruction. It's essentially three stories, set in Ancient Britain, modern day (save for a couple of prologue chapters) and way off in the future. The story jumps around the time lines and TBH I was totally lost for the most part. It didn't help that I read the second book first as it made no mention of it being part of a trilogy.

I found it easier to simply stay with each timeline and treat them as three separate stories, rather than read a book cover to cover. Smith strikes me as a military man due to the detailed descriptions of the fire arms used by the characters. The story has heavy use of nanites, meaning combatants can survive extreme damage, which makes me wonder just what it takes to actually kill someone. It's also quite violent, as he goes into detail about the effect of the weapons upon the target. He uses the same phrase quite often, especially the "something something hard enough to powder bone".

It was alright; generally silly but with some fun concepts. The fact kent libraries have vol 2 and 3 but not 1 struck me as odd.

dste

Post by dste » Thu May 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Keith Gillespie: How not to be a Football millionaire.

His autobiography. An interesting and quick read. Has some good stories but doesn't really cover much.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Im probably not going to get all of the books in the series, but they are great for quick reads
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:57 pm

while on holiday I managed to get a fair bit of reading done.

Broken Promise by Linwood Barclay- the start of the Promise Falls series and really good

Final Assignment by Linwood Barclay- the next in the series, a short title that was kindle only, nothing much happens in the hour or so that it takes to read but it progresses the story in between Broken Promise and Far From True

Six Years by Harlan Coben- really enjoyed this one, was a bit far fetched but I enjoyed it despite that.

Home by Matt Dunn- got a kindle unlimited trial and read this over a day or so. Gets a bit depressing at times but thats part of the subject matter. Will probably read some more of his before my k.u trial runs out.

Currently reading Far From True by Linwood Barclay. about 1/4 of the way in and its just starting to get interesting. For those that have read it, the cinema bit is a bit boring but they have just discovered the room and it seems to improve from then.

Also been sent a book to review which is only a short one

dste

Post by dste » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Doctor Who: Dead of Winter.

I don't tend to bother with novels based on TV programmes/film series but picked up a set of three novels on the cheap. Read the first one and it was a decent enough read. Chapters are told from different perspectives of the Eleventh Doctor, Amy and Rory and other supporting characters.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:24 pm

Chasing the dead by Tim weaver

Apparently the weakest in the David raker series but if this is the weakest then the rest will be awesome

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Into the Black
By Rowland White

Story of the dicey first flight of the Shuttle - easy but engrossing read
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

tachi

Post by tachi » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 am

I'm going through a bit of a LitRPG mood at the moment and have recently finished the 7 books of The Land by Aleron Kong which were all really good but the last one was overinflated, jumping from a typical 700 pages to 2200.
Nearly finished The Feedback Loop trilogy now which is a much more condensed, bite-sized take on the writing style and feels much more 'Gamey' which is nice :)
Any other fans of this weird little genre?
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:17 pm

Last Shot-Han Solo novel. Set before and after the Solo movie. It was pretty good, listened to the audiobook over 3 days of a lot of driving!

It had it's moments of good and bad but worth a read/listen.

I've got the new Stephen King novel on order for the end of the month so looking forward to that, along with a couple of Star wars novels lined up after and Everville by Clive Barker, the sequel to The Great and Secret Show. I get the feeling Clive Barker will never write the 3rd part though so reluctant to listen to it...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:18 am

^Thanks for that post, think i'll have to get that as my next Audible book

Been getting into Audible again as they've got a new apple watch app, find it amazing i can download these audiobooks to my watch to listen offline etc. Really think the Solo movie is underated, looking forward to this book.

Cheers

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:22 am

Finished (Finally)
Bruce Cambells, if chins could kill, a really entertaining read, with very little in the way of ego boosting and more behind the scenes stuff from somebody that dont seem to come across as a "Yeah im famous, worship me" type.

Currently reading
Norman Wisdom's book
Seems ok
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday