Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MattyC64c

Re: Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by MattyC64c » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:44 pm

Finished 'Catastrophe Europe Goes To War 1914' by Max Hastings. An excellent account of the events during the first year of the First World War. I took me about 4 weeks to read that one.

I felt a little sad from reading all about those terrible battles and suffering, so this week I bought two books: 'Diary of an 80's Computer Geek' and 'A 80's Childhood - From He-man to shell suits' both of which were very cheap via the Amazon Kindle store.

I've finished the Computer Geek book, quite impressed. Now reading the 80's Childhood book. It's been a good read so far.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:54 pm

Still plugging away at A Feast for Crows.

Also picked up a Banksy book (called Wall and Piece) and read that from cover-to-cover yesterday. I find his stuff fascinating.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:33 am

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith and also going back to finish A Clockwork Orange

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:58 pm

Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence. Has made me giggle a few times which I wasn't expecting.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Germinal by Emile Zola, wasn't sure what to make of this book from the write up on the back, read all of the George Orwell stuff I could find and this seems to be in a similar vein. A few chapters in and it is certainly getting my imagination working, really good descriptions of the mine, etc.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:19 pm

Finished Feast for Crows and have gone straight onto the first volume of A Dance with Dragons. My only concern is that I'll finish the Ice and Fire series too prematurely and will have forgotten stuff by the time the next book comes out (I'm assuming there will be another one but I have no idea when it will be out...).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:56 pm

Started reading Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story by Arnold Schwarzenegger due to the recommendation by Megamixer.

Only about thirty pages in at the moment.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Megamixer wrote:Finished Feast for Crows and have gone straight onto the first volume of A Dance with Dragons. My only concern is that I'll finish the Ice and Fire series too prematurely and will have forgotten stuff by the time the next book comes out (I'm assuming there will be another one but I have no idea when it will be out...).
Winds Of Winter, next year hopefully!!!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:27 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Finished Feast for Crows and have gone straight onto the first volume of A Dance with Dragons. My only concern is that I'll finish the Ice and Fire series too prematurely and will have forgotten stuff by the time the next book comes out (I'm assuming there will be another one but I have no idea when it will be out...).
and you can read some awesome chapters that have already been released, links to them are on the ASOIAF websites, or on GRRM official sites

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:50 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
and you can read some awesome chapters that have already been released, links to them are on the ASOIAF websites, or on GRRM official sites
Awesome, cheers :) . I'm almost hoping that the next book is the last one because I'll definitely forget what was happening once I'm caught up...

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:29 pm

It's a 7 book series, book 6 - The Winds Of Winter is due next year (all being well), and then the final book is A Dream Of Spring (this was originally called A Time For Wolves), god knows when this will be released, but hopefully before 2020!

Can't wait to see how it all ends, but have already resigned myself to the fact that most of my favourite characters will die.......

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. Read it over three days & absolutely loved it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Ocean - The History. It's very good :-)
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Dark Heart by Russell Kirkpatrick. Enjoying this second book of The Broken Man trilogy.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Its quite interesting