Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:25 am

I always wondered...is Randall Flagg the same Flagg that appears in The Stand and Eyes of the Dragon? King doesn't seem to make any obvious connections since the books are all separate, standalone reads but I'm assuming it must be the same guy?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:43 am

Shinobi wrote:That is right the revised edition I thought a few people where beaten way to easily in the Dark Tower and was hoping for a revised version of the Last Book!!! I know King announced an eighth book, The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole. I saw a new Dark Tower book in the Hospital Book Shop last week should have picked that up :? Not sure where he could go with it...

When you say the four that's Jake, Susan/Suzanna(the racist black woman who calls all the White's Honky White Boys) The Druggy(can't remember his name) and Roland? Its been a while since I read them but can't remember if Oy and Father Callahan where classed as part of the Group.. Or if Oy just stuck around to protect Jake due to there friendship..

I thought Wizards and Glass was the weak link in the Series with Blaine and Randell Flagg being the only good thing about it.. I got to where Roland earns his Gunslinger title and then skipped to Blaine.. So hard to describe it without spoilers!!
as i understand it the eighth book doesn't come at the end it slots in between (just looked it up) book four and five:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_T ... he_Keyhole
i did see one of those companion books once but after getting a Discworld one and just not being nerdy enough to enjoy it at all i didn't bother.as for the four it's jake,susannah/detta/oddetta,eddie (druggy) and roland,oy! has pretty much only just joined for me and there is no mention of a father callahan yet.they have just crossed the bridge into lud.
Megamixer wrote:I always wondered...is Randall Flagg the same Flagg that appears in The Stand and Eyes of the Dragon? King doesn't seem to make any obvious connections since the books are all separate, standalone reads but I'm assuming it must be the same guy?
Don't know but that's two more books i have but haven't got round to reading yet,especially the stand since i have the dvd as well but want to read the book before i watch it.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:58 pm

Taken my first steps into a Stephen King book. It's a selection of short stories and so far enjoyable.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:05 pm

Megamixer wrote:I always wondered...is Randall Flagg the same Flagg that appears in The Stand and Eyes of the Dragon? King doesn't seem to make any obvious connections since the books are all separate, standalone reads but I'm assuming it must be the same guy?

The Dark Tower Flagg is the same Randall Flagg from 'The Stand' After the events from the Stand he goes to Roland(The Gunslingers) World.. There's a portal between Earth and Rolands world and Flagg comes through the same way as jake,susannah/detta/oddetta and eddie.. It explains in the fifth book it is the same Flagg.. Also Father Callahan (From Salems Loft and Hearts iN Atlantis) is the same guy..

It explains when Callahan Salems Loft loses his test of faith against the Master he doesn't die and turns up in the Dark Tower World.. Flagg also ends up there after the events in the Stand can say more without spoiling it for Hitman.. Dark Tower book 5 explains that Callahan is beaten because he refuses to put the Cross down! Therefore having faith in a Object(a cross) rather than God if he had put the Cross the Master would have been beaten.. This is hard to put without Spoilers let alone spoiling all 8 Dark Tower books for you if you plan to read them

I never read Eyes of the Dragon but slightly Off Topic I believe all Kings books are interlinked.. Such as Mr Gaunt from Needful things also appears in 'From a Buick 8 and the short story from 'Everything Eventual' The Man in the black suit.. As all the Birds and Flowers died when 'Mr Gaunt walks past them, same with the Man in the Black suit.. When he told 'Fisherboy that his Mother had just died and his Father was going to give him a damn good rogering when he got home.. The Man in Black then falls on Grass laughing and the grass and flowers die when he lands on them...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:05 am

In Eyes of the Dragon, Flagg is a sorcerer advisor to the King who basically manipulates everything to cause chaos and destruction. The way he is described as being extremely evil and not human makes him sound like the same Flagg to me.

EotD is a good book, a bit more fantasy-orientated but still classic King. Used to have the paperback but found a 1st edition hardback copy in a charity shop...I know they aren't worth anything as such but it's nice to have and there are some good illustrations inside :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:21 am

Megamixer wrote:In Eyes of the Dragon, Flagg is a sorcerer advisor to the King who basically manipulates everything to cause chaos and destruction. The way he is described as being extremely evil and not human makes him sound like the same Flagg to me.

EotD is a good book, a bit more fantasy-orientated but still classic King. Used to have the paperback but found a 1st edition hardback copy in a charity shop...I know they aren't worth anything as such but it's nice to have and there are some good illustrations inside :)
Ah so Eye's of the Dragon' is basically the Prequel to 'The Dark Tower series' The first Dark Tower books follow on from Eye's but go back in time in 'Wizard and Glass' to when Flagg was the advisor to the King.... The first 3 Dark Tower books or more Fantasy, Wizards and Glass and Blaine the Demonic the Train but from the Wolves of Calla onwards or mostly almost outright horror..

I'm sure Hitman will correct me but isn't there a Rose in a apartment in Brooklyn that connects our world and the Dark Tower?

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:50 am

Shinobi wrote:I'm sure Hitman will correct me but isn't there a Rose in a apartment in Brooklyn that connects our world and the Dark Tower?
unless it's a part of the story i haven't got to yet then it's close enough,jake finds a rose in a vacant lot that used to be a delicatessen.it's (i believe) used as a metaphor or representation of the dark tower because jake can see its beauty but also that something is wrong with it,roland has a similar dream but a blade of grass shows him that something's wrong.the rose is also used as a symbol to connect eddie to jake,it will probably feature again later because it seemed important.

i've got a feeling you will be reading them again yourself shortly Shinobi. :lol:
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:21 am

Hitman_HalStep wrote:
Shinobi wrote:I'm sure Hitman will correct me but isn't there a Rose in a apartment in Brooklyn that connects our world and the Dark Tower?
unless it's a part of the story i haven't got to yet then it's close enough,jake finds a rose in a vacant lot that used to be a delicatessen.it's (i believe) used as a metaphor or representation of the dark tower because jake can see its beauty but also that something is wrong with it,roland has a similar dream but a blade of grass shows him that something's wrong.the rose is also used as a symbol to connect eddie to jake,it will probably feature again later because it seemed important.

i've got a feeling you will be reading them again yourself shortly Shinobi. :lol:
I'm probably wrong with the Rose as its been a good few years since I read them, didn't want to say to much in case I'm giving you spoilers.. Just checked in the attic and all I have is Wolves of Calla and Song of Suzzanah so maybe a visit to the Library to borrow them again..

Has Mordred turns up in the books yet?

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Shinobi wrote:Has Mordred turns up in the books yet?
not yet,the tick tock man has been mentioned a few times so i'm expecting him to feature very shortly.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Popped to the local Library at the weekend and picked up Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, Marvel: Siege and Ultimate Avengers Volume one.

Batman was meh, Siege was the same predictable event c*ap from Marvel and Ultimate Avengers was ok but definitely nowhere near the level of Ultimates.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:05 am

Finally finished 11.22.63 by Stephen King. What a brilliant, gripping book. Sad to see it finished with :(

Next up is either the first Game of Thrones book, Black House (Stephen King/Peter Straub) or The Survivor by James Herbert. Might go for the Herbert book since it's quite small after the massive King book I've just finished.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:53 am

Currently reading a few passages from Mein Kampf for my thesis. Quite enjoyable.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Have just finished the target ark in space novelisation it was even better then the tv serial
This guy are sick

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:43 am

Just about to finish Bret Hitman Hart's autobiography. Fantastic read although understandably depressing in places.

:)

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Haven't read any manga for many years so I've started a little Blade of the Immortal and Akira. Oh and I am Legend by Richard Matheson.