Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Morkin

Re: Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by Morkin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:11 pm

When I read James Patterson's Alex Cross novels I always have Morgan Freeman in my mind.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:19 pm

@RetroAerosmith - A very interesting point. I never consciously try and attribute features to a character that aren't in the text, rather just read the book, let the descriptions wash over me and whatever impression I have of the character after a few chapters sticks with me throughout the book. Because it's all unconscious, it's impossible to stop actors' faces from screen adaptations from seeping in to my imaginings, but I don't let that worry me too much. It would be maddening to try and prevent, kind of like not thinking of an orange penguin.
Hitman_Halstep wrote:can get annoying if you give a character something like dark hair and then in chapter ten the book says blonde hair
A good writer will not let this kind of thing happen (unless it serves purpose), for that very reason. I work in a primary school, and we teach five year-olds to describe characters early in their writing! It would be interesting to know if you had any examples of this.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:43 pm

@StickHead-it has happened but it was a long time ago,i'm thinking it was a david gemmell book,possibly lion of macedon or dark prince.i was doing security at the time and got through a lot of books on night shifts so i may be well out but that's the impression i get.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:33 pm

In the last day, I've read half of 'All Quiet On The Western Front'.

I recommend it, its highly compelling stuff, possibly more so because its based loosely on first hand experience of the author during WW1.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:16 pm

finshed the last of the james herbert rats trilogy,this one called domain.another slow burner i preferred the second book but the ending was very good.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Frankie Boyle: Work, Consume, Die, hit and miss really but when it's funny it's very funny!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:33 pm

^ Just finished that, won't spoil the end of the novella for you but let's just say you can see it coming.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:^ Just finished that, won't spoil the end of the novella for you but let's just say you can see it coming.
OK! :D

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:24 am

Currently going through the Steve Jobs biography.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:47 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:finshed the last of the james herbert rats trilogy,this one called domain.another slow burner i preferred the second book but the ending was very good.
I didn't even know there were any sequels to The Rats! That was a pretty gruesome book with some horrible descriptions of people getting munched on by rats...ugh. Really good read though and I love James Herbert's brand of horror where characters properly die in nasty ways unlike other horror stories.

As for me, I'm currently a 1/3 of the way through Stephen King's Insomnia which is typically gripping. This was the one book that I'd never gotten around to picking up (aside from Cycle of the Werewolf which seems rarer than rocking horse sh1t) so cheers to a charity shop for having the hardback version for a measly quid :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:45 am

Recently finished Kill Alex Cross by James Patterson (excellent as always) & The Drop by Michael Connelly (wonderful Harry Bosch). Now halfway through Zero Day by David Baldacci & although I initially thought I'd not like it, the story has really sucked me in, so I'm glad I stuck with it.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:44 pm

I am currently reading through The Walking Dead

I have NEVER read a graphic novel before and only found this as a free download on my Itouch...

I love the setting and the art work and the story...

My comic book friend at work has now loaned me the first 2 hardback compilations

they are brilliant

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:05 pm

I am now on the second Chris Jericho book, Undisputed. It's better than the first one and a great read whether you like wrestling or not.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:33 pm

I'm now a third the way through The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz. My first Sherlock Holmes read & it's pretty good!

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:02 pm

half way through terry brooks-magical kingdom for sale sold!-i couldn't get on with the shannara books (only read 1st and 2nd) so wasn't expecting much but so far really enjoying it,looking forward to the other two in the trilogy now.