Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Edmond Dantes

Re: Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by Edmond Dantes » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:22 pm

Last book I read was Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, was cracking stuff.

Not sure what to start on next, maybe Les Miserables

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri May 13, 2011 7:15 am

Halfway through The Spirit Rebellion by Rachel Aaron & absolutely loving it.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:41 pm

"Rivers Of London" by Ben Aaronovitch. A novel about a copper in london who's also a trainee wizard. Readers who have grown bored with the tweeness of Terry Pratchett and the weak humour of Tom Holt should get hold of this book. It's the first in a series and the dry wit and intelligent main character make it a far better proposition for those wanting something a bit more adult than the stuff pumped out by the usual big players in this market. I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading the next one. The mixture of police procedure and magic makes for an entertaining combination.

If you're a fan of the urban supernatural thing you should also check out Mike Carey's Felix Castor novels and Stephen Leather's Jack Nightingale series. Well worth a read.
Last edited by Crunchy on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Edmond Dantes wrote:Last book I read was Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, was cracking stuff.

Not sure what to start on next, maybe Les Miserables

Why not try Kidnapped also by RLS? A cracking story
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:32 pm

Hulk Hogan - Life outside the ring. Quite an interesting book.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Still on bloody Ivanhoe...book is taking ages to get through!

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:59 am

Crunchy wrote:"Rivers Of London" by Ben Aaronovitch. A novel about a copper in london who's also a trainee wizard. Readers who have grown bored with the tweeness of Terry Pratchett and the weak humour of Tom Holt should get hold of this book. It's the first in a series and the dry wit and intelligent main character make it a far better proposition for those wanting something a bit more adult than the stuff pumped out by the usual big players in this market. I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading the next one. The mixture of police procedure and magic makes for an entertaining combination.
That's next on my wants list. Good to hear you're enjoying it. :D

I've nearly finished Trudi Canavan's latest book The Rogue & absolutely love it.

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:58 am

Yep that does sound interesting crunchy, will have to check that out, im currently reading Tad Williams War of the flowers.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:54 am

firebreather wrote:Yep that does sound interesting crunchy, will have to check that out, im currently reading Tad Williams War of the flowers.
Excellent choice! In some respects it is a shame that it is only a single-volume work. The attitude of the 'leading lady' on occasion creased me with laughter.

Currently working my way through Part 11 of The Wheel of Time by the late Robert Jordan. Quite simply, this [TWoT] is the most astonishing piece of work by any author; and, despite its lo-o-ong length, still feels at times to be too short! :D

James A

Post by James A » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:48 am

The Fall by Chuck Hogan. Sequel to The Strain which i really enjoyed, this one though not so good so far

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Sinclair and the "Sunrise" Technology by Ian Adamson and Richard Kennedy. Very interesting book looking at the business, rather than technological side of Sinclair especially when it came for products to sell which were what he wanted to sell rather than what the public wanted. The computers were just something to raise money for other projects where he happened to be lucky.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:02 am

Here's what I have read (or tried to) recently:

The Philip K. Dick Reader - Philip K. Dick:
Fantastic collection of short stories by one of the greats of sci-fi, including many that were adapted to the big screen - Paycheck, The Minority Report, We Can Remember It For You Wholesale (Total Recall) and Second Variety (Screamers). The fact the stories are all so short means you can polish of one or two before bed - great if you don't really have time to get into a full-on book but still want something with substance.

Wiseguy - Nick Pileggi:
This is the book that Goodfellas was based on - the true-life story of Henry Hill and his dealings with the Mafia. If you enjoyed the film, you'll enjoy this book.

Underboss - Peter Maas/Sammy Gravano:
Another book about la familia, this time detailing the story of Sammy Gravano. I actually didn't think this was as interesting as Wiseguy, but definitely still worth reading.

Playing With Fire - Theoren Fleury/Kirstie McLellan Day:
The biography of Theo Fleury - a hockey player who rose to fame with - most notably - the Calgary Flames. This book shocked me quite a bit as he definitely had a tough childhood which turned him into a gambler/alcoholic/smack addict. Yet he was still able to put up sizeable numbers in the NHL. If you enjoy hockey and the questionable behind-the-scenes goings on with one of it's most memorable names, it's worth checking out.

Excession - Iain M. Banks:
Seems to be the Marmite of sci-fi - some people hail it as one of the best works you can read, while others absolutely despise it. Sadly, I'm sitting in the latter camp. I love my sci-fi, but this book is simply confusing, pretentious garbage. It's not even worth trying to keep up any kind of plot as ridiculous and sometimes completely unrelated things get liberally chucked into the mix at random. It's as if Banks had an idea one day to see what level of bollocks he could write and still receive critical acclaim for it. If that was indeed the case - congratulations, Ian.

Crossover - Joel Shepherd:
The first in a 3-part series, which looked enjoyable on paper. Futuristic business, semi-invincible military replicant, political wars, etc. Unfortunately - after a pretty decent first half - I was literally forcing my way through the last few chapters. The guy seemed to just get bored after the mid-point somewhere and began writing tedious, lengthy dialogues which drew out the story more than an episode of Dragonball Z. I was glad to stick this one back on the shelf.

Currently reading:
Glasshouse - Charles Stross (early indications on my pretentious-ometer are not good for this one)
The Greatest Hockey Stories Ever Told - Bryant Urstadt et al.
Old Man's War - John Scalzi

I also have a ton more on the shelf to get through, but will hold off listing all of those until I start on them.

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:34 am

Seadog74 wrote:Hulk Hogan - Life outside the ring. Quite an interesting book.
Good book, shame he glossed over lots of the wrestling from his life as I'd have been interested to his perspective on things but guess he wanted to show the world Terry rather than Hulk which was good but left me wanting more.

Currently reading Game of Thrones myself. The TV series has rekindled my interest and forgot about it after trying ages ago to get through it and just forgetting when I went away without it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:52 am

Sureshot wrote:The Philip K. Dick Reader - Philip K. Dick:
I might dig that one out. I'd started reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes as I wanted shorts, but I'm not finding it gripping. I suspect the concept has been riffed on so many times the original no longer has the impact it once had and the cases themselves just haven't been that interesting.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Finished Old Man's War last night and thought it was fantastic. Interesting story, believable universe and great humour dotted throughout. Definitely looking at picking up Scalzi's other books now.